Preparing a coordinated marketing campaign

Let me know how I can help

This was my main account:

And this is the one I’ve been building the WhiteOutMashups brand with :slight_smile:

I’ll always repost everything on every social media.
Am active on pretty much all

3 Likes

Thanks all! Would be great to see more activity on the SAFE Network reddit!

13 Likes

I came across a new term recently, referring to cyber attacks that effect the physical dimension, such as power stations and critical infrastructure, medical devices, autonomous vehicles and the like: 'cyber-kinetic attack’. It’s a topic and a use-case for SAFE that has been discussed here and in @dirvine’s blog, but I haven’t come across a label for the problem before. I like this term, it’s short and descriptive and it hasn’t been done to death (yet). I feel it could be useful for future marketing materials. Use it in a headline or two (‘The emerging problem of cyber-kinetic attacks and how to defeat them’) and see if it flies.

This article describes the problems of securing the IoT agains cyber-kinetic attacks and industrial systems in general, and the differences between traditional cyber security and what’s needed in the new age.

Past cybersecurity attention focused primarily on three aspects: maintaining data confidentiality, integrity and availability, with the strongest focus on confidentiality. Connecting devices that control aspects of our physical world to cyberspace requires that greater focus land on integrity and availability.

When dealing with systems that affect our physical world, keeping outsiders from discovering what data these devices are processing is far less important than keeping outsiders from changing the data to make the system err in what it does or, even more important, keeping outsiders from blocking data so the system completely fails to provide its essential services.

Connecting critical physical systems also adds more elements to this traditional three-element paradigm of security concerns. Control of the system is not an issue when it comes to traditional information systems. Outsiders gain no benefit from wrestling control of the system away from its administrators. Leaving vulnerabilities that allow outsiders to take control of a connected vehicle or an implanted medical device, on the other hand, could be fatal.

Similarly, with a traditional information system, the introduction of fake data may be a minor inconvenience to the authorized users. But fake information that says that the water pressure on a dam is much less than it really is could cause the system not to take the proper action, putting the dam at risk of collapse.

Finally, with a traditional information system, no risks ensue from installing security protocols that create delays for authorized users in gaining system access. When dealing with security for a remote device to which a medical professional needs quick access in a medical emergency, though, creating a workable balance between security against unauthorized users and ease of access for authorized ones can be a matter of life or death.

3 Likes

We have a maidsafe and safenetwork subreddits. I have been reposting more stuff to maidsafe sub, but we be good to concentrate in one place. Which is best?

4 Likes

The safenetwork subreddit is best.

3 Likes

It is also less subscribed and read.

Edit: Also, people know this project as maidsafe. I know the company maidsafe felt it should put a distance between the open source project and the company producing it, but to the layman, it is just maidsafe.

Hi,

We would like to encourage as many people as possible to move onto the SAFE sub. We want to focus on the network rather than the company and are working on moving people away from /r/maidsafe

12 Likes

Is there a way we can help migration? Moving posts over for example. Even at some point suspending the MaidSafe reddit with a message directing people?

7 Likes

The difference in subscribers is rather large. There were 2000 odd online yesterday on maidsafe and only 50 odd on safenetwork.

Can we try to life the exposure of the safenwork subreddit? It is pretty dead compared to the maidsafe one.

2 Likes

The challenge maidsafe/SAFENetwork is up against:

https://trends.google.co.uk/trends/explore?date=today%203-m&q=Maidsafe,Substratum,Storj,Siacoin,Safenetwork

1 Like

I was checking subscribers vs online on reddit too:

/r/ethereum - 224,619 subs, 4900 online
/r/bitcoin - 593,778 subs, 13,431 online
/r/substratumnetwork - 5,867 subs, 246 online
/r/siacoin - 21,505 subs, 1,875 online
/r/storj - 5,094 subs, 1,576 online
/r/maidsafe - 4,358 subs, 1,609 online
/r/safenetwork - 592 subs, 6 online

Some things strike me about the above:

1. Maidsafe has highly active users subscribed, who are often online.
  2. Safenetwork is dead, especially for online users.
  3. Some tech which had been around for a lot less time have more users.

My advise is to dump /r/safenetwork as it is splitting an already weak brand and people have a hard enough time even knowing about maidsafe. Moreover, most people know the tech as maidsafe anyway. Differentiation can come later when important.

We should also be making more use of /r/maidsafe as it has a high regular readership and it is something to build on.

5 Likes

I can’t highlight more the fact that reddit offers worldwide visibility.

I wrote a post yesterday which was already viewed more than 17’300 times.

So many things happen on reddit guys ! And we are not around :tired_face:
That’s exactly why I created this thread in the first place.

Don’t ask me why I didn’t mention MAID in this thread.
I did offer my help in the past which was politely turned down at Maidsafe.

Maid will succeed in the end, thanks to the tech.
It will succeed even though we don’t have a CFO or an actual marketing strategy.

I remain a strong supporter of this project.

9 Likes

I think we are quite unique having such an active independent forum. The down side of this is that the community is a little isolated and doesn’t share the same space as many of its peers.

I agree that Reddit is where word gets out though. I think LinkedIn can Ben valueable for reaching serious business contacts, but Reddit is very much a public shop window for many a project. The more we cross link, the better. The more we contribute and comment there, the even better.

IMO, trying to pitch SAFENetwork and Maidsafe is too much too. I understand the desire to differtiate, but it reminds me of trying to pitch a brand and a company, when not even the company is well known. Splitting the budget (money and personnel) probably isn’t a good idea.

9 Likes

Useful stats.

I don’t see the low readership of both Reddits as an argument to choose the slightly larger one at the cost of confusing the brand.

IMO it’s an opportunity to get the brand focused around SAFEnetwork and build that, on Reddit and elsewhere.

6 Likes

/r/maidsafe has a 3rd of the online readership as ethereum. I have noticed that the figure has been floating around 2k for a while too, so I don’t think it was just timing. IMO, that is something which can be built on.

Just my opinion ofc, but most people just think maidsafe is SAFENetwork and haven’t really heard of it as anything else. It just seems like an up hill battle to combat that, which isn’t really needed until the project is past launch and successful.

2 Likes

I can understand the number of views. I did find your post very interesting :+1:

6 Likes

Even though I enjoy this forum I’m going to go ahead and make the outrageous suggestion that from a marketing perspective it is a dead weight. We are a clique and we need to be more accessible. I would be all for closing the forum completely and forcing all of us to migrate over to reddit, BCT forums and slack/telegram etc. We are all too comfortable here and we all enjoy it too much. Folks here might start posting a bit on reddit, but that’s no substitute for getting the huge volume of excellent content on here exposed to the crypto community - most of whom will never look at safenetforum.

I can see why we benefit from a small dev forum with less of the ‘crypto-investor’ crowd, but I think we waste a huge amount of value by hiding content away on here where only we ever see it.

/takes cover and prepares to be assaulted by defensive and angry forumites :wink:

7 Likes

100% agree James.
We should just leave the dev forum where it is, but create r/MAID and move there. and close the forum all together. I mean keep an archive but do not allow new threads.

5 Likes

Interesting suggestion! :rofl:

I see where you are coming from though. At the very least, effort should be made to cross post links. At least that shows people where the debate is.

3 Likes