Preparing a coordinated marketing campaign

Yep. Spend time doing what you do best. Spend money hiring people that can do the things that are equally important, but fall outside your skillsets.

The smartest guys in the world are not always successful. Mostly because they think they know everything. Smart and successful people know their limitations.

5 Likes

I could attest to this! I am new to the crypto world and have a basic understanding of computers, networks, internet, etc… But, I am considered the goto “computer guy” for my family and close friends. I still have a hard time grasping the full features that make SAFE an amazing venture, even after reading about this for months. I have tried to explain this to some of my coworkers and they don’t understand what i am talking about. I can’t discuss this to most of my family because they don’t have a clue. IMHO - I think educating people is going to be the main challenge. As dirvine said “difficult thing to explain that it takes a ton of papers (which we do have) and nobody will read them all”, but even if people did read them, I don’t think the general public would really understand. So, how do we transfer knowledge/educate folks to understand this. Obviously, a fully functional SAFE platform would be great. Marketing would be great. Marketing strategy with release of test nets, great. But, I think the educational aspect could start immediately and have significant benefits. This will take some effort to create, maybe stuff already exists (if so I have not seen it). This would also help to differentiate SAFE from others. If folks think it is worth it and it does not already exist, I could take a stab at making a clean “1 pager” to highlight the differences…

13 Likes

I completely agree. I think we need a 10 word, 100 word and 1000 word explanation (or something like that anyway) which we can point people towards.

I was thinking before that a friendly competition to come up with these explanations could be a good idea, with a winner for each category.

(edited for understandibilityness)

8 Likes

I am a little bit sceptical about that. Reading is not the strenght of people these days. The best thing in my opinion would be, if you spread videos (Youtube). Videos which explain the safenetwork in a really simple and clear way so people can follow easily. The real challenge is to explain the complex things about Safenetwork to normal people. With normal people I mean people with a understanding of how to turn a computer on and how to browse through the internet, if you know what I mean. :grin:

3 Likes

Why not cover all mediums. Promo vids, easy reads, info graphics are a favorite as well. I think a lot can be learned from the Dash and Pivx communities and how well they manage to market themselves. It’s not really our flavor I know but always looks sleek and consistent and is always on social media and in plain site.

I really liked one pivx did recently where people from all over the world would receive piv for posting a pic of them with the app open with a QR code visible. Was just neat seeing all the faces and how far and wide it seemingly has spread.

Sorry for continuing this OT thread :grin:

5 Likes

I think this is the picture we need to emphasize in a way that is simple, quick and easily digested - when the time comes.

6 Likes

Yes, Lets do it …Collaboration.

Technical Guys :- Look into the project offer help if any, Test testnets.
Non Technical guys :- Talk about more on social media. Test testnets.
Traders :- Check out the fast pace development , Every Thursday there are exciting news.
People who want to become rich quickly :-Guys please stop whining . People are burnt in hard work appreciate it. Believe on David Irvine and Team.

Me :- I am learning daily about awesomeness of Data Chains.

2 Likes

Agree with using all communication types. But, I think we need to highlight the differences, but just as important, the benefit(s) the difference makes. So we explain how and why these new innovations are important…

4 Likes

I think the maidsafe website should have a couple guides and explain things in terms of the browser and decentralized web apps.

Explain that you can download a browser, use it to browse SAFE websites and show some examples.

Next is to have a guide for developers. The information is out there just spread a lot and it also takes time to figure out what is outdated and not.

It would be good to have a guide that has a section for explaining the network, its architecture, how consensus is achieved, datachains etc. It would be nice if this could be available in one big guide that you could read from a to b with different levels of detail depending on if you just want an overview or you want to know the details of how things work. At the moment this is spread over blog posts, RFCs, white papers and forum posts, but it’s not really obvious where to get started or which order to read things, like what do you need to know before starting to read about data chains for example.

Apart from how the network works is how to write apps. Here it would be good with getting started guides for writing web apps and native apps for Mac, Windows and Linux.

There’s already some getting started guides in forum posts etc, but again it takes time to find if you’re visiting the maidsafe website and it’s not obvious what is outdated or not.

4 Likes

Another thing which is difficult to grasp at first and would be nice if was explained a bit on the website, is how much is actually possible without compute.

If you’re a web developer you might initially think many things that are possible would need compute.

Similarly if you are used to ethereum etc and have dabbled a bit with smart contracts, you might not realize that many things you might do with smart contracts could be done in SAFE before compute/smart contracts is implemented, just in very different ways.

3 Likes

I think the best way to illustrate capabilities is with demos, both live stuff people can try out and videos showing what can be done.

The really interesting stuff to me, which David keeps alluding to, are the new capabilities that go beyond what is possible with the existing Internet. I’d love to see some of these enumerated in a series of blog posts and one or two showcased as demos. I am intrigued personally, but I think it is this area that will be important in differentiating SAFEnetwork and getting people to pay attention.

6 Likes

Hi, can i please request an invite. Thanks

2 Likes

Timing is all important. Once you get someone’s attention, the next question will be - when will this be available. We live in an impatient and quickly changing world. May I suggest approx 12 months from the time the leadership team consider beta release should be
possible to make is the earliest the drip feeding should commence. Getting someone
Ike Jeff Berwick onboard will be a good thing. He has done so much to take Bitcoin to the masses

Hi @mj77 - you need to have reached trust level 1 / basic user first.

You can get to trust level 1 by…

• entering at least 30 topics
  • reading at least 180 posts
  • spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts

Ok, I got it. thanks @JPL

3 Likes

glad to hear this!

Excited to be helping where I can :slight_smile: Finishing edits of our first official video from the SAFE Network SF Silicon Valley Pod, and will have that uploaded today.

Everyone is also free to view our Prezi slides right here in the meantime.

Let’s get SAFE out there! Get SAFE or die trying!!! that’s my motto :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Great slide. Can we expand to a second slide in row and column format, with all the main ccoins across the top, starting with Maidsafe, and all the features down the page. Ticks and crosses in the features boxes will start the differentiation thinking in the publics mind. Don’t you always look more closer at the product with the most ticks?

A good start would be to explain in laymen’s terms the true awsome power of maidsafe as compared to relatively simple tech like blockchain. The post in this thread works well: Goodbye Blockchain, hello Datachain?

As you always do and should be commended for your great efforts. But I got to say this prenzi presentation does not do MaidSafe justice and I hope it gets some fine tuning, way lots of fine tuning. Not trying to rain on your parade here Will but IMO this is not good stuff.

Let’s get the " coordinated effort" happening with “guidance” from some pro PR people.

The message about MaidSafe needs to be constant, across all fronts, you in SF need to deliver the same info, in the same efficient way, as me in Montreal, or Savage in Florida. Or David in London UK. This cannot be a Hodge Podge mix of my interpretation of a good presentation or your interpretation of a good presentation because so far, MaidSafe has done a shittttty job of delivering the message and it’s time to fix it.

Fix it once and for all. Bring in the pros and spend money, real money on real talent. No more low budget attempts.

Sorry Will, not trying to start anything with you but you can do more harm than good with a presentation like this.

“Ya never get a second chance to make a first impression”

4 Likes

Yep. Before you bring out a new beer, in the world of many good beers, the marketing gurus think up a campaign and road test it with some people who drink a lot of beer