Preparing a coordinated marketing campaign

Let’s get the hype machine ready !
Everyone willing to help is welcome.

We will not launch before everyone agrees it is beneficial to the project, but at least we will be preparing for that day

• created SMTF (SAFE Marketing Task Force)
    automatic sign up from anyone with a confirmed email address @tutanota.com

• A Trello Wall has been created named SafeNetwork Marketing Community

• Created a private subreddit r/smtf
    added @Jabba @happybeing and @piluso as moderators

Please request invite in this thread if you don’t have a tutanota handle.
Will share articles, strategies, and marketing threads in here.

26 Likes

Sure. Slack can be used for bouncing off ideas and strategies. Trello we can use for having a team oversight on who does what on what project.

4 Likes

I don’t know trello, but will look into it.
Do not hesitate to take the lead here Suriana if you wish

2 Likes

Sure, happy to. Trello is a mobile/desktop app thats like a big wall where you can post your post-its, organise group and individual projects etc.
Really easy interface,takes a newbie just a couple of minutes to get started. Check it out!

2 Likes

@Jabba Do you want to be admin on this slack channel ?

2 Likes

A Trello Wall has been created named SafeNetwork Marketing Community.
It’s linked to the Slack channel so just jump in :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sure thing. I use slack a lot, but have never set up a channel or anything as admin. Do I need to set it up? I will take a look into it tomorrow to work it all out if so, it can’t be that hard ;).

Good idea and nice to have someone drive some momentum into this. I think we are in a good place and the time is right to start getting organised collectively rather than just making our own plans.

Count me in for everything and anything.

2 Likes

Hi Jabba, im in as admin now. Everything is set-up, welcome in :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Great stuff! I’ll be around from tomorrow lunchtime.
:thumbsup:

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it be better to post ideas on this thread?

7 Likes

Very nice guys, great work in progress!

PS Let me know if i can be of any help.

1 Like

Good efforts. I will sign up tonight. Lots of ants lots of power in marketing.

3 Likes

difficult to share and aggregate medium drafts, or reddit threads in here.
But of course any post idea is welcome here, and the task force will start working on it. :wink:

For instance I am working on a thread on top 10 reason MAID is the most undervalued crypto currency around.

3 Likes

I am new to tutanota and trello, in fact new to the whole alt currencies. I would like to help out here. What do I need to do?

1 Like

SwissPrivateBanker

Please request invite in this thread if you don’t have a tutanota handle.
Will share articles, strategies, and marketing threads in here.

I don’t have a tutanota handle so are requesting an invite

4 Likes

I request an invite too

3 Likes

This is a good idea. One thing missing from MAID appears to be a determined marketing strategy. I know and appreciate that Dave and the Devs want to focus on on building the product however I wonder if they should also allocate some btc towards marketing.

2 Likes

@Minecache There has been a small trickle of marketing by Maidsafe. If just that to do a lot of marketing too early is to make people numb to SAFE since they get excited and then see no live network so they mostly turn away from future SAFE. The best time to do marketing is when we have a (near) live network with great APPs to market.

Also personally I feel SAFE will be like the original internet and the marketing will be of the great APPs and a small amount for SAFE itself.

Now is the time for preparation, getting the marketing mechanism ready when in a year or whatever SAFE enters the release candidate stages and there are some great APPs

6 Likes

I agree and in fact it’s a topic of recent discussions in the office. Not so much price, but it is a bell-weather of sorts. The biggest issue we have in my opinion at the moment is we have not made it clear what we are doing. Creating a secure autonomous network is huge, it has probably world changing potential for many industries, changes security paradigms, ownership paradigms and just simply has never been done. It’s a mammoth task and we have not vocalised this enough. We are going to change that though.

As we don’t describe “the impossible network” or really explain what a secured autonomous network is then people think, oh it’s like sia or storj, tor, ipfs, bittorrent etc. and that’s a shame, It’s also our fault. Many of these projects are terrific, I don’t judge them publicly (as that is not my job). Just yesterday we were talking about this and I think we did this to ourselves. We got caught up in the decentralised story, a decentralised network, to us meant secure autonomous, self authenticating, self healing anonymous network. Then many others start with federated servers or known ip location services or just ignore security to start with etc. and say they are decentralised, while true, it’s not what we meant.

So we will now start to differentiate ourselves and make it clear, we are talking about a very different network here. A network of unknown nodes (not hosted servers, but home computers) that are securely rewarded to provide services for people. A network that ensures data sharing and publishing is secure and persistent. A network where nodes run and configure themselves without human intervention past running a program. A network that calculates price of the service to the users dynamically and at the lowest possible cost, in perpetuity. A network that …

We need to get out of the “me to” decentralised network chatter, our vision and network gets lost there and it does deflate us when some comparisons to some other networks are made. It’s like taking a skin on top of an app and calling it a decentralised network makes a competing product to us, it does not ! ( I am not trying to dis any project here). Or using a public ledger to store data is the same as us, it’s not. Or having nodes identifiable or controlled by humans is like us, it could not be further from the case for us.

So we will make the differentiation clearly as we move on, especially as we can prove claims much more easily when we are at alpha 3, This is another issue we face though, proof through showing the products or tests, rather than white paper == product == amazing, mentality that we sometimes see in this space. I don’t see us changing much there mind you, demonstrations are great and kill so much FUD, we will probably keep on that path, but we will need to let folk know the path we are actually on.

Anyway early morning coffee ramble, I hope it makes sense :wink:

55 Likes

One problem with this, is not having home vaults right now. Until they are out in the wild again, the network is pretty centralised. I am sure everyone here understands the challenges and the reasoning, but outsiders will not be so sympathetic.

I do think people fall for the first mover advantage stuff though. While first mover can be important, being popular is not required for safe net to succeed. It does not require the network affect and the target space cannot be easily monopolised. Others getting out simple solutions to part of the problem may get the lime light in the short term, but it won’t prevent safe net from becoming useful/popular in the longer term.

Finally, other projects are hyping white papers up to the max. Maidsafe don’t do this, despite having tangible software to back up the claims. Maybe alpha 2 needs some fan fair to let people know the project is still making progress?

12 Likes