Premium-Name to add value to names

• Having a premium name gives SAFE community members a valuable property, which if it can be sold will enable them to give back to the SAFE Network.
  • If adding valua to who register and to the dev core team to further develop the SAFE Network
  • If the dev core team are able to get enough funds through this system, they don’t need external funding and can hire other people to improve/analyse/try to crack the SAFE Network. So I would say that that’s better.

I’m ok with all accounts being premium, I prefer this, as long as the money it generates goes to the dev core team.

Dude I don’t envy people, I’m happy for whoever registered sex.com on the old internet. Our luck/chance is now that eachone of us could register it on the SAFE Network. Which proofs that future generation will always get their opportunity as time past.

Dude I’m also not super rich, but I don’t envy or got problems that someone else sells sex.com for millions. It’s their luck and it’s funny that people are willing to pay sucha price for a name on a system. BTW your not a poor man, because if your here, your ahead in comparison to some people who are super rich and totally unaware of Maidsafe. If your life improves, you’ll be able to improve that of people around you.

• All accounts cannot be premium at the same time. There can be paid access (which is what “all accounts are premium” means).
  • There were numerous suggestions to give away small amounts of SAFE (or - same thing - a small amount of gratis storage capacity), so the idea to charge for accounts conflicts with that idea which seems to have a fair amount of supporters.

Actually this suggestion is a good example of what’s wrong with the anti-commercial view: by making all accounts premium, the relatively poorer prospective users would be disadvantaged and for no reason whatsoever (because clearly from monies obtained for premium accounts sold to “the rich”, the Foundation could fund free accounts for “the poor” without taking money (in the form of “free” storage space) from farmers.

Isn’t it just better to have two options? Pay up, pay later (basically paying through mining). This way you exclude no one.

I’m hoping more that the money can be used for software & hardware development.
Imagine if the foundation could develop a router with harddisk, meshnetworking etc.

Maybe we should vote again, because this is really important for the Maidsafe project going forward… I do hope that we all agree, that if we don’t financially support the dev core team, that we’re making the same mistake as other opensource projects out there.

It’s better to have a dev core team with enough money to experiment different stuff…

Yeah it’s sure doable, but by giving gratis space before delivered work you’re effectively creating debt. I know that the price of storage space might go up, thereby partially compensating farmers for the loss, but I still (personally) do not like the idea, because it complicates things (i.e. anyone who’s too poor to afford a premium name could farm with an ugly name, use earned SAFE to buy a premium name, and then use the premium name for their own activities).

I’m with you on that, but I understand that there’s some sort of agreement that incentives will be provided.
Maybe @dyamanaka or someone who followed those discussions closely remembers better (there are way too many topics that mention free storage, so I won’t try to check them all).

1 Like

You guys are very smart. You would make a hell of a lawyers :smile:

Would you agree to buy premium names only with your FARMED coins, not coins brought? Just to give the very poor people the same chance as the enriched from outside people. If you’re ok, then I’m with you.

I see your point, but I don’t think that’s (directly) doable as SAFE coins are fungible (i.e. you can’t tell one coin from another).

But someone with redistributionist mindset might want to set a different price for MAID prior to 1.0 release, so that those who bought MAID (everyone did) “pay more”. Although I’m not sure how the conversion rate (MAID to SAFE) will be determined (and whether it’ll be possible to determine it ahead of the launch, because maybe in Testnet 3 it might be possible to import MAID to one’s wallet to convert it to SAFE, etc.).

Personally I am against complicating things that way. If premium names could be sold (still waiting for someone from MaidSafe to comment here - maybe it’s impossible and we’re just wasting our time here), I think it’d be nice to organize an auction and use the proceeds to fund development (and maybe to donate some capacity to people who do things that the Foundation needs, like translation, etc.).

1 Like

This doesn’t really make it equal between rich and poor, but something got to give unfortunately. Poor people will have to save up for a premium name :frowning: BTW they could use a pretty name @janitor something like: Lana Del Rey.

The question is:
How do we give the core development team a good financial start? Prevent people from going beserk with premium names? And make it reasonable, so that the mayority is happy?

The only funny answer, I could come up with, when I think about it is:
Make the price of a premium name € 10 and annually take off € 1. I realize that € 10 is unreachable for the super poor, but to be honest, they won’t be the first people on the SAFE Network. 10 years from now, the SAFE Network will have more users, so the lower price will be suitable then. Some might call me MAD for suggesting a price of € 10 for a premium name, but there is method in my madness, let me explain before you get your pitchforks.

On the current internet the domain name sex.com is worth millions, so if a community member could get the SAFE Network premium name sex.com it would @least be worth something. But here is where it gets interesting beside sex.com, you could register sex, sex.xxx, sext.co and .sex.

On the current internet these are the costs:
sex.xxx €99.99
sext.co €10,976.95 this btw is available right now, with Renewal price €29.99
.sex this might be a gTLD in the future, minimum cost €100,000.00

Now if you could get the premium names of the examples above for just € 10, in your full control and NO ANNUAL RENEWAL PRICE, doesn’t it seem ridiculous to ever complain about the € 10 that you would have to pay? As the current insecure internet slowly begins to fade away and the SAFE Network starts to shine brighter, it’s logic that @least the names on the current internet will be remembered and worth something. PS don’t forget the premium name www.sex.com some people might remember that more than sex.com. If your feeling sexy, register (sex, sex.xxx, sex.com, www.sex.xxx, www.sex.com and .sex) @least you’ve added €60 to the core development teams kitty. Before you think twice, think about the SAFE Network having it’s own constellation of cubesats, it’s really all worth it.

I’m more like a unsuccessfull sales person
:stuck_out_tongue:

These will be my last words on this topic, because if not many in the community are responding to it, it’s probably not important.

I’ve thought about it and maybe besides the premium names, there should be an exlusive name. The exclusive names would be for brands and populair names/words.

So a premium name would be for instance:

google
.google

An exclusive name would be:
google and include everything before and after the dot (google.org, www.google.com and .google) so somebody woulden’t be able to register google.tv because it’s included in the exclusive name google. People could for instance register googleplex, because it’s not the exclusive name: google. I think a exclusive name would be usefull because big brand names woulden’t want to be id’d through a 10 digit character.

I would suggest a price of €100 for the exclusive name. I might be wrong about this, but I don’t think our names are important enough to register as an premium/exclusive name, unless it’s a brand name, superstars name or a populair word. If we are talking about Secure Access For Everyone, maybe we should create the hardware to realize this dream. We shoulden’t be thinking in ways that we hold on to the old internet as our playground or go to place. I like Outernet, because their idea is to have their own hardware to reach their goals. Imagine if Maidsafe could have harwdware like this:

People woulden’t be having a net neutrality talk

Many may see this conversation as unworthy or against their morals, but maybe we need to look at the big picture. Maidsafe will be sold to the public by certain governments as a software for Terrorists, Criminals, Pedophiles and IP violators. How will we be able to educate people with no funds? Some might even think, the 5% that the core development team receives will be enough to get by. Maidsafe is picking a big fight (with the current internet), so we should have mechanisms in place to ensure it grows. A regurlar person won’t be able to buy a premium/exclusive name, but does it matter if it means that Maidsafe’s research cash increase? If Maidsafecoin prices can be manupilated with fiat currency, that’s allready a reason why it could be considered a volatile currency.

It makes no sense to have a hundred google with 10 digit characters each. I would even argue that Google woulden’t want to come in an environment, where it can’t even id itself. I do realize that domain hoarding could be the natural course of things, but if it means that Maidsafe gets another €100 for further development, I think it’s only benificial. Imagine a Maidsafe powered through premium/exclusive names, without a need to beg for money or through crowdfunding! Things will always cost money (ICANN, Namecoin, Bitshares DNS, P2P), but would it hurt us if the SAFE Network grows?