Pre-dev update topic

New Topic on Reddit by rid-dim

Since I loved this topic on the safenetforum but it died down a little bit lately I thought I could start it again here on reddit =D

I’m very looking forward to the next developer update on Thursday and I am very eager to hear the newest developments around data chains and the node aging strategy!

What do you guys think? Some really great news this wonderful new year? Or something you especially look forward to hearing about?

Link to Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/safenetwork/comments/7p9s5b/predev_update/

4 Likes

cryptoskeptic

Data chains should be the flavour of the months ahead. Cant wait to see how it goes. Exciting times ahead

rid-dim

Hmmm - speaking of exchange listings - what do you think of the proposals for creating a way to move away from maid as omni token…?
… I think it’s really a pain to move maid around with the current bitcoin fees… Creating an erc20 token and offering people to exchange their maid to that one (e.g. For Being able to participate in the community engagement program without paying those horrendous fees) might not be the worst idea…

But of course I have no clue about all the implications… Would be super awesome to have a way to exchange Maid and that other token just forth and back I guess :roll_eyes:

Ps: yeah not really about exchange listings - but nonetheless exchanges and the fees there made me think about this topic…

cakes

I don’t think it makes sense for any exchange to list maid until the have a working product

rid-dim

Maybe a data chain test network? =O

Guybrows

Time will tell I don’t think it will cause an issue long term. If safe network is working the people will come regardless of if anyone knows about it now. It’s too usefull not too. I just wish I could get more folk involved and invested and the Omni thing restricts that a bit.

Guybrows

I think we will see some positive marketing news in the coming weeks. Maybe some extra exchange listings. Possible partnerships need plus hopefully some good technical milestones. Hopefully see all of this by second quarter.

Guybrows

Once safe network is released then the exchanges will only exist in the safe network. As far as I know.

Guybrows

I would move to ERC 20. Storj did it so it’s possible. I don’t think it will happen though. I am hoping that lightning will reduce transaction cost later this year. It is definitely a serious restriction in terms of allowing small investors( it’s almost become an elitist investment now). If you want to buy 200 pound of Maidsafe it will cost you 10 percent to move it. Obviously safe coin will change that.

If Maidsafe have enough funding to see them through to release then I think they will see moving to Erc20 as an unnecessary activity.

rid-dim

And I really would love them to support whiteoutmashups proposal for an additional e-office

But because of the community engagement strategy I assume they’ll leave it to this program to decide :thinking:

1 Like

SAFEantifa

Their github indicates that they are updating versions for libraries that hadn’t seen love in awhile as well as the web RTC example in one of the devs repos has been updated. The upcoming testnet will be about at home routing so. I think we should get some joy soon!

rid-dim

Hmm - but they want to help building the community - and they didn’t simply accept whiteoutmashups as subcontractor for marketing but instead started the CEP program…

I could imagine they want to see it happen too because everyone can see how crazy the costs have become… (and David always is an advocate for including the small people =)

And probably it would be easier to get listed with an erc20 token on many exchanges too… But on the other hand it would increase the confusion with maid / safecoin / erc20MAID

sorry for the mess people :open_mouth: somehow it messed up the sequence of messages :roll_eyes:

1 Like

drehb

I expect to see some discussion on mav’s relocation proposals.

1 Like

-s-a-v-a-g-e-

I am hoping we get to test uTP tomorrow :slight_smile:

6 Likes

rid-dim

Oh yes that would be awesome!

I don’t really care either way regarding any/no possibility to switch to ERC20, but I have to wonder, if people are supposed to be prepared for whenever Safecoin/everything is coded and functional and follow official announcements to get their Safecoins, then I’d imagine the same people would be attentive enough to follow official announcements to switch to ERC20.
I guess the main question is, I know Maidsafe isn’t focusing on the method that will be used to transition from MAID to SAFE, but I wonder if anyone has an imagination for which would likely be easier? MAID(OMNI)->SAFE or MAID(ERC20)->SAFE?
I guess… people have already spent a big mental effort understanding how OMNI protocol works in the first place. Trying to understand ERC20 on top of already having understood OMNI might dissipate people’s neural fortitude. Let alone further technical errors that might leave even one person screwed out on their wealth.

4 Likes

rid-dim

Hmmmm I assume to get to erc20 one would actively need to switch Maid => maid(erc20) => safecoin later on… So through erc20 should be more difficult I would assume

on the other hand you would most certainly only allow people to switch if they want - so with erc20 you’d probably have 2 ways to exchange your maid to safecoin later on… With and without the additional erc20 step…?
So more complex by design this exchange then…

The main question for me would be ‘are the advantages in the meantime until the safe network launches large enough to do it?’ (CEP, exchanges, favor small investors)

-s-a-v-a-g-e-

I am hoping we get to test uTP tomorrow :slight_smile:

2 Likes

rid-dim

Oh yes that would be awesome!