Pre-Dev-Update Thread! Yay! :D

Well I have a lot of money on it, but it doesn’t have to be feb, my investment in maid is to support something I believe in as much as it is a chance to make some money.

I hope you’re wrong though and they do get it sorted quicker than expected :slightly_smiling:

2 Likes

No not really, these are all part of the security testing we need to do during rollout. There are a couple of these to choose the correct method for. Allowing testing with a solid core is what we are after then measuring security against group size etc. is required. The other issue is measuring and testing direction checks, trace packets etc. None of these are deal breakers in any way or scary at all.

As the libs get to a solid implementation with nice clean code we can test the hypothosis before implementing fixes, which if correct will be small. So not a worry for me at all in any way. I expect particularly routing to come under microscopic scrutiny and it should. This is why safecoin will not be immediately transferable as we will use test safecoin and try and hack it ourselves.

What we do want though is 100% transparency with all these attack vectors and preventions. So expect to see some more, some only valid on small networks, others maybe only valid at startup etc. Securing IP addresses and then crust routing messages that are encrypted and signed all add to this. So eahc lib needs to guarantee certain parts and these guarantees are now looking for more formal proofs. Andreas is typical of the more recent hires we are making and will dive very deep into these areas with vigour, it’s great!

19 Likes

Thanks for clarification and mood boost David!

That does sound more like where I thought we were, although most of it goes over my head :wink:

Look forward to reading all the rest of the nitty gritty in the dev update tonight

1 Like

Okay, that does sound better. I mainly got spooked by:

potential problems affecting security, performance and even basic functionality.

not even the original Kademlia invariant is strong enough to guarantee that messages reach every member of a target’s close group, or that every node knows whether it is a member of that group

the number of nodes that consider themselves members of a particular
close group can exceed 100 - orders of magnitude above the current group size of 8

4 Likes

That part already fixed :smiley: many of these are small code, but needs large amount of thinking. So a good place to be.

[Edit] I should add that you will see these assertions being made then code done. The result will be perhaps easier seen as we add tests to confirm our thoughts where possible. so you will see a load of tests committed to routing these last few days. :wink:

4 Likes

Rather than spook the community maybe it’s best to wait for an update and ask the questions in an orderly fashion. Turns out your analysis of this github link is off and your proclamation is unfair to everyone including devs.

I don’t think some question marks would have meaningfully changed my post. I’d still have pointed to an RFC that found problems in the Kademlia DHT implementation and would have voiced my opinion on what I think it might mean. It’s not like I was screaming doom like a madman, in fact I used several indicators to my lack of knowledge of the exact implications.

Too bad if that already offends you. I don’t see anything wrong with my posts above and don’t plan to communicate differently. I don’t think anyone can accuse me of being unsupportive to the devs or hostile to this project.

10 Likes

Not offended at all. Im surprised you think its helpful to make predictions without the skills needed to make predictions. Carry on though.

Yeah, I bet you would have posted the exact same thing if I predicted very positive news.

1 Like

You are correct. You were proven wrong with positive news you would have been told in the same way you were wrong with negative news. The good news is going forward your responses/ opinions will be scrutinized and that will be good for many.

2 Likes

@BIGbtc this is somewhat of a speculative thread about the coming update. @Seneca is a well informed individual and his concern wasn’t really off base and it didn’t blow up into something disproportionately, let’s take it easy on the fella :smile: in the end @dirvine answered and we’re all the more knowledgable of what is going on

11 Likes

whoa lotsa passion here “your gossip was not based on solid facts” … well, duh :joy_cat:

(yay another excuse to post something with a catface emoji!!)

1 Like

See my original post where I suggest that maybe its best to await the update, then post the concerns. Thats what I think is best ESPECIALLY from a trusted source. I do understand the thread is speculation and ven more reasons for the seasoned participants to be cautious. Im not interested in a pissing contest with seneca. Glad David sorted it out and glad to hear the issues are not as big as thought. Thanks for the followup.

2 Likes

@BIGbtc, I definitely get your point but I actually like this thread because of the dev participation into any guess or speculation by the forum members. It’s an early taste of what’s to come and doesn’t necessarily come with more clarity than the actual update by any means but the informal aspect of it gets the community and devs a little more in tune with each other and provides some extra insight to us. To each, his own, I suppose. We all seem to have good intentions here, it’s good to remember that.

8 Likes

Thanks Nigel. The dev updates are an excellent time to bring up technical concerns about progress or lack thereof.

Well said!

And Seneca, I didn’t get the feeling you were doing anything other than giving your opinion (not fuddy, just concerned). I value your thoughts so please always share your opinion - we can’t all be right all the time, but by saying what we each think we can all become better informed through dicussion about those thoughts. :slightly_smiling:

9 Likes

I’m just spreading my bets here: If we launch in Februari I’ll be very glad regardless, if not I’ll at least have the consolation price of Being Right on the Internet! :smiley:

9 Likes

I think people are forgetting what was posted here - MaidSafe Dev Update :safe: 8th December 2015 - #107 by Al_Kafir

When you say launch I think finished product out the door. I’m just hoping the Beta network is released in February.

8 Likes

Lot of action going on in “Routing”

“Showing 6 changed files with 525 additions and 416 deletions”

Wanna bigbrother the Devs as well :grin: ? Go to “Maidsafe Routing” or whatever repository you want and click on ‘latest commit’ to see well, the latest commit! In this case a lot of new code and old code removed in “Routing”.

Here’s the direct link.

4 Likes

Like getting a front row seat to the biggest global change of the century!

6 Likes