Pre-Dev-Update Thread! Yay! :D

@Southside your $PATH contain an old version of safe ?

2 Likes

agreed looks like a sudo bash and a bash install.

1 Like

the wierd thing is that /usr/bin/local/safe outputs 0.72.1 and which safe outputs /usr/bin/local/safe but safe --version outputs 0.71.0

2 Likes

Try typing alias to see if you’ve set up an alias at some point.

3 Likes

Could well do - my $PATH is longer than John Holmes

willie@gagarin:~/projects/maidsafe/safe_network$ echo $PATH
/home/willie/.local/share/pnpm:/home/willie/.local/share/pnpm:/home/willie/.cargo/bin:/home/willie/.local/bin:/home/willie/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin:/snap/bin:/usr/local/go/bin:/home/willie/.safe/cli:/home/willie/.safe/cli

Time to trim…

@stout77 @Josh Yep - this looks like the culprit

willie@gagarin:~/.safe/cli$ ls -al
total 30024
drwxr-xr-x 2 willie willie     4096 Feb 28 19:47 .
drwxr-xr-x 9 willie willie     4096 Feb 21 02:29 ..
-rw------- 1 willie willie     4328 Feb 28 19:47 config.json
-rw-rw-r-- 1 willie willie       64 Feb 28 19:17 credentials
-rwxr-xr-x 1 willie willie 30720024 Feb 24 18:36 safe

But why is which safe telling porkies? I should read up on the which command and explore its quirks and features <— been watching too much Doug DeMuro

1 Like

are you root?

nice one @futuretrack

alias la='ls -A'
alias ll='ls -l'
alias ls='ls --color=auto'
alias o='less'
alias safe='/home/willie/.safe/cli/safe'

The weirdest thing about this is that I have followed the same workflow for months now

Pull from Github,
build with the reqd features,
sudo copy target/release/safe to usr/local/bin
copy target/release/sn_node to ~/.safe/node/

and I never hit this hassle before…

Anyhow - thank you all for helping me get this sorted - I owe you all :beer: :beer: :beer: :joy:

4 Likes

for me the install script yesterday had the issue with the node not available is this still a thing

still problem:

safe.exe was installed!

ok! sn_cli 0.72.1

Now running safe node install (sn_node.exe)!

error! Downloading release from: https://sn-node.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/sn_cli-0.81.1-x86_64-pc-windows-msvc.tar.gz
Error: 
   0: Error downloading release from 'https://sn-node.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/sn_cli-0.81.1-x86_64-pc-windows-msvc.tar.gz'
   1: UpdateError: Download request failed with status: 404

the platform is windows

1 Like

Nope - I am very rarely root - Not since The GreatFuckUp of 2015 when I lost ALL of my music and was incredibly lucky that I had backed up my work folder to a new server at the office.

2 Likes

The problem is windows :rofl:

Ya dancer!!!

willie@gagarin:~/projects/maidsafe/safe_network$ safe files put ~/coo.jpg 
FilesContainer created at: "safe://hyryyryshsikyis6wbh43erak74nfurj48kr1z95s76rnzj6isd56oscsbonra?v=haysdfjqacbinrc5ffr5uc57antiq7gydthngfrjp1uy3f9p1868y"
+---+----------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| + | /home/willie/coo.jpg | safe://hygoygyxgwmpqj65ku8upyisggtkhbkzbq31au1q5aqwd1q415f4nbq4tqe |
+---+----------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
willie@gagarin:~/projects/maidsafe/safe_network$ safe --version
sn_cli 0.72.1

A coo and coo2

3 Likes

As I mentioned the other day, the node command is due to be removed soon. Don’t use it.

OK, so based on a few posts in here, I’m going to go with safenode for the new binary name.*

I’m going to begin work on a new install process today that I’m going to call safeup (stolen from rustup). So we would have:

safe
safenode
safeup

That keeps it consistent.

I will also add this data-network feature into the release process today.

*Subject to approval by the rest of the dev team.

9 Likes

Might save some angst if the command outputs a helpful message rather than removing it right away.

3 Likes

I think I’ll just remove it tbh. It will be done soon enough.

4 Likes

You realise now I will have to poke the Github entrails every 20 mins :slight_smile:

Agog to the max.

3 Likes

By soon, think “this week”…

6 Likes

Please do not feel any pressure to have this done in time for the update.^

Any time before 5 on Friday will be perfectly acceptable, thank you :slight_smile:

^ I’m only saying that cos Im going to see King King at the Barrowland tomorrow night and will be pre-gig pinting while you lot are all squabbling for first post. :beer: :notes: :guitar:

6 Likes

https://github.com/maidsafe/safe_network/releases/tag/0.1.0-0.19.8-0.15.5-0.5.1-0.81.5-0.77.14-0.79.1-0.72.3

Thinking of a little hardware modding and hacking my rudder pedals so that they will fire off the command

git pull && cargo build --release --features statemap,otlp,build-bin,data-network && cp target/release/sn_node ~/.safe/node && sudo cp target/release/safe /usr/local/bin

and I can continue without moving my hands from the kybd

6 Likes

Great news, wonder what this weekly update will include.

6 Likes