Pre-Dev-Update Thread! Yay! :D

Well i was going to write up the faffing around I had to do but when I went to install CLI2GUI on my laptop and carefully note all that I needed to do , it Just Worked.
The laptop had a new HDD fitted not that long ago and a clean install of Ubuntu 20.04 with the usual suspects including node and npm. However I havent really used node on this machine since unlike my desktop. So it seems that on a “vanilla” Ubuntu with node, npm from apt-get, this should work fine as per @DeusNexus readme.
I had problems first time round cos there had been much messing with node on the desktop so unfair to dwell on those hassles.
Most of the buttons work and as stated, this is a work in progress. It’s useable as it stands and even the bits that dont work yet will give plenty hints as to what you can do via the CLI.

Thank you @DeusNexus, this is going to help a lot of folks who may have been a little CLIphobic. And a gentle intro to those who are pushing their inner text boundaries for the first time.

15 Likes

Well I see you got the website running! Btw those commands at the Main page are not updated, have to put those back. Now all the CLI commands are present without any custom calls that I had previously. I will put those sequences of calls back in next couple of days.

Oh and yeah I think I made a mistake, React runs on localhost:3001 and the api on port 3000.

10 Likes

Update from MaidSafe HQ - testnet v5 postponed until next week.

Testnet v5 in-house testing is progressing well, however, there are still PRs under review so we’ve made the call to postpone a public release until early next week.

Thanks for all your support everyone!

56 Likes

Looking forward to next week! Thanks team

14 Likes

https://github.com/maidsafe/sn_entropy_check

This must be a response or answer to some of the SE talk going on recently?

7 Likes

Coincidentally, I’m trying to read this at the moment - in part cos it’s free (author’s pre-publication draft) but mainly because I’m fascinated about how data turns to information and the information to knowledge, which is such a fundamentally important process but not one that we really consider outside of philosophy and information science. It includes a discussion on Shannon’s Entropy. It’s quite academic, but mercifully it’s getting easier after the first chapter (What is information? What is knowledge?), which was fascinating but gave me a headache. It goes into the semantic web, graphs etc. Think I need something a bit more entry level but I’ll persevere.

6 Likes

Yea we are testing entropy measures on chunks in Elders, i.e. before they get stored on Adults. It’s part of a simple answer to not storing readable data in chunks. The other test we will do is reduced chunk sizes to make even images useless (image formats already have high entropy). We have altered the way Elders keep track of which Adult stores which chunk, by removing that function (so much easier to sync when there is nothing to sync :slight_smile: ) No it’s how it’s supposed to be, chunks are in xor space, we know where they are and Adults need to republish them etc.

Anyhow that allows us to reduce chunk size and see how that alters anything. So a simple answer to unreadable or useless chunks, but as I say with the network now almost as simple as it was intended we can do these tests in less than 2 man weeks (i.e. just a few days, 2 or 3). It’s cool to be in this position.

BTW Dbc done now, just testing and tweaking so expect that in a testnet any week now. (not next week, maybe the next again). That was about 4 man days work. It will be 3 or 4 to integrate it IMO. Different days in MaidSafe nowadays, isn’t it nice.

39 Likes

It’s amazing seeing all the work over the years come together! :partying_face:

16 Likes

It’s all about the team. Now folk do what they want and what we all want is launch. It’s a very different approach. Free day off per week, work on what you feel needs done and jump in anywhere. Nobody is told what they can and cannot work on. It’s incredible to see it all just happen. I had to ask/remind a few guys this week to sleep and rest. I love it when a team comes together :slight_smile:

43 Likes

I would call them ants because of their ability to work together towards a higher purpose but I think they may be giants. Of course we all stand on the shoulders of giants but there will be a whole world atop their shoulders. The network they are building ought to take that weight in stride though, I reckon.

11 Likes

This works in my experience. Certainly for me! The two main companies I worked for, a decade each, treated engineers as intelligent, capable self managing individuals and the result was similar. If you wanted to work on a particular project, or certain tasks, they would try to accommodate this. Although the stuff we got to work on was rarely something you would want to turn down because it was usually new, full of challenge and the opportunity to learn. There was also the opportunity to find something that interested you and go try to get someone to pay you to do it. Something I took advantage of.

From my point of view it was much more fun. Very rarely was I feeling I had to do something without caring about it or feeling it wasn’t also good for me to tackle.

Even difficult stuff is much easier when it feels like your choice, and you can get support if something gets too hard or is beyond you. Trust and respect go a long way.

I count myself lucky to have stumbled on the first company early in my career, and that meant i knew how to find a place that would work for me when I decided to move on.

It’s great to hear how this is working for the MaidSafe team. I think looking after yourself is important too, and if you aren’t doing so having people around you who will tell you you need to take a break or find a way to take the pressure off etc. This can be built in too.

The first company billed hours to clients, so every week we had to fill out a timesheet that was supposed to add up to 37.5 hours. If your total added up, it generally didn’t matter what time you rolled up for work, or what time you went home, especially if you kept a fairly regular schedule so others knew when you were likely to be around. If you did more than 45 hours in a week it was recorded and you took that time off later like additional holiday days. I never heard of anyone abusing this system while I was there.

Seeing how people are treated with low paid ‘flexible’ contracts these days is claimed to be like this, but it is completely different. People aren’t treated with respect, trusted, or listened to. I know people in those kind of jobs and they are soul destroying, and cause illness in many.

I couldn’t support a project unless it worked for everyone involved, so it’s great when I hear insights into how MaidSafe functions.

17 Likes

Yes, There is another way, and its profitable on so many different levels.

Semco: employee powered leadership. These values—democracy, profit sharing, and information—work in a complicated circle, with each dependent on the other two.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/hbr.org/amp/1989/09/managing-without-managers

4 Likes

Just idly poking at the maidsafe github entrails**…

The work never stops.

**All chicken entrails came from sustainably managed forests and none from Finland, well not that many.

7 Likes

Great to see you been able to put rough times to tasks. Shows how close the finish line is. Must be a good feeling to be at that point.

4 Likes

Very interesting - but that was 30 years ago - Where is Semco now? Has it been able to withstand the militarised corporatism ( some might call it fascism) of the Bolsonaro regime? What became of Ricardo Semler? Im guessing he is long retired now…

EDIT: I guessed wrong…

Not sure about the company these days, or the right-wing populist political influence, but
I think Ricardo Semler started the Semco Style Institute, which is a global network with country partners in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Portugal, South Africa, Brazil, USA, Australia, Japan, China and India and certified consultants around the globe, spreading the corporate empowerment message of a Democratized workplace.

2 Likes

Yes, here he is here https://ricardosemler.com/

3 Likes

anyone know if Adam cignanek aka madadam have left the project/company or is still around?

1 Like

He has gone, after 5 years or so he wanted a change, although he has said he loved the work. In fact he feels more confident now in the project then ever before and feels it’s in good hands. A good guy and great rust dev. I think we may see him again. We also have a few new Engineers, that seems to be going well.

27 Likes

This team just does not stop…

9 Likes