Pre-Dev-Update Thread! Yay! :D

Anybody know if there will be an update today? It’s ascension day so public holiday in many places. Don’t wanna sit until midnight just to realize it’s not coming

3 Likes

You said it yourself … It is the day of the ASCENSION for Madesafe !!!

3 Likes

Yes there will be an update as usual. :+1:

17 Likes

Lots of github action today and all in very interesting places.
Joining the dots we might be in for a treat in a few hours…

5 Likes

Its a short week but not for everyone at Maidsafe. This seems a significant task ticked off:

https://github.com/maidsafe/safe_vault/issues/973#issuecomment-633536649

23 Likes

Also deduplication was merged with phase 2b vaults and (I think) that the size limitations that caused issues in uploading large files in every previous test net has finally been removed, again I think that’s what I’m reading, not 100% certain on this but would make sense to me since this would be the first test net in a long long time not hosted by Maidsafe on a server they had to pay for.

13 Likes

Pls excuse my ignorance here.
I thought we did not record transaction history, so how could it be pruned?

With AT2 the elders store the history of all the accounts of their own section. This elders need to know the balance for the approbation or not of any transfer request within the section.

2 Likes

For us it is likely that we can use the agreed Dot (maybe not latest anyone has seen) and prune form there, but we are also looking at not recording what was paid or transferred, just what decrement happened. I think we can do a lot more there as we progress.

5 Likes

Aren’t they the same? I mean: what was paid or transferred == what decrement happened.

And what about increment when an account receives some safecoins?

1 Like

No, it’s 2 transactions really. The 2nd one unfailable. So the debit from your account is some value, say 12, but the other part of the transaction is credit X account by 12. The debit your account is causal so will have some order, you cannot debit twice (double spend). The reason for the debit, i.e. the payment to X is the other half of the transaction and there is no need to record that in history, we could record the hash of that as payment proof, but it’s not required really. I suspect it’s a nice feature though. Then you can keep your transaction that was agreed and signed by you plus the quorum acceptance of that and later compare that with the debit hash in history?

So some nice easy options and not overly complex IMO, which is really nice as discussions like this are so much simpler.

7 Likes

https://github.com/maidsafe/safe-network-launch-tool/pull/13

12 Likes

https://github.com/maidsafe/safe-vault/pull/994/commits/301d3d28f8690862ccee0d12d880ba15b6bff8d0

So cloooooose

11 Likes

Quivering in anticipation.

I’m all agog, so ah um…

6 Likes

I’m curious if anyone thinks some kind of standard (like erc-20 etc) could be created from the at2-bft-crdt in SAFE? GitHub - davidrusu/bft-crdts: Byzantine Fault Tolerant CRDT's and other Eventually Consistent Algorithms

Altcoins will be made. If not using the same secure way as Safecoin with the at2-bft-crdt then just with another data type as @Seneca and @bzee have shown in the past using mutable data.
So does one way or another cause more or less stress to the network? Or does it balance out?
If there was a standard it should probably have some kind of TX fee similar to gas cost in ethereum to prevent spamming.
How much do altcoins make sense when Safecoin can meet our needs and is the only coin that can purchase resources directly from the network?

I wonder if there would ever be an “ICO” boom on SAFE. The infrastructure is already there and low cost so you don’t have to reinvent the wheel (like every project that created their own blockchain). Why not raise funds in Safecoin rather than offer some altcoin that is lesser than Safecoin in terms of tx fees and possibly other ways? I definitely want to see a developer boom but I also know people flock to where the money is, along with scammers and the ones to be scammed.

Something I don’t see talked about much on here that I’m really wondering about.

7 Likes

https://github.com/maidsafe/safe-vault/actions/runs/129838222

Merging master branch…

12 Likes

Does this mean vault from home will get a tick on the safenetwork.tech page? :smiley:

1 Like

mebbes aye, mebbes naw…

But soon… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m not certain by any means but it almost looks like there is a sprint to get at2 done and replace parsec with BLS in routing, run some tests and then we might see it. They’re an effective and efficient team that’s for sure.

17 Likes

I have a sneaky suspicion that we will not need to wait until Thursday. :crossed_fingers:

13 Likes