Pre-Dev-Update Thread! Yay! :D

In the github comments you speak of a rfc of the actual common coin you’re going to implement (as replacement of the fake one in PR 310). Which rfc is that? I do find #0049 PARSEC, where there is talk of a concrete coin (2/3th of the time common). And that is what I remember (maybe wrongly) as being the (initial) Parsec breakthrough (Byzantine Agreement, Made Trivial), because a common coin was very difficult.

4 Likes

Oops. My bad! I thought we had released an RFC for a proper common coin. We definitely edited the paper to include a real common coin, but haven’t released this yet as it’s making its way through the formal publication process.
We also did a POC of proper common coin but didn’t finish it as we ran out of allocated time to investigate pre-Fleming. We also wrote up the lessons learnt in this POC with the intent to raise a RFC, but it seems we didn’t actually publish it yet.

A common coin is difficult, but now the hard bits are available as other projects such as POA Network released some important components such as Distributed Key Generation in the open. It makes it feasible, now in 2019 to implement and rely on an actual common coin rather than our concrete coin which limited how asynchronous the algorithm was.

11 Likes

Fleming today? Or what is missing to get there? :smiley:

EDIT: Maidsafe we need it so badly! :wink:

1 Like

According to the roadmap you can be sure there will be no Fleming announcement today. We still need to implement a lot of stuff but it seems all the big question marks are not present anymore. :slight_smile:

My own estimation is we are on the right track to launch Fleming in 2-3 months and the Maxwell on the beginning of the next year (few months after September hackathon)

In this weeks update, I am really looking forward to reading some inside about the trumps in the @dirvine sleeve

14 Likes

Can we get any insight into the Node Aging bit. I can see that there are 3 completed tasks out of 14… and that have been the case for some time now. Is there any ongoing issue which is halting the progress in this area? Just hope that it will not take same amount of time to finish as Parsec :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Feels like we might all need to be sitting when reading tonight’s update.

I wonder what’s new. :hugs:

5 Likes

It looks that everything in going towards next stage as was planned in a schedule last week.

2 Likes

ever heard of tabbed terminal?
also you can make a script that controls them all

1 Like

Or a terminal multiplexer like tmux or GNU Screen.

2 Likes

:heart_eyes:

8 Likes

Does this mean that reliable message delivery is finished?

6 Likes

According to the Back End roadmap only 1 issue in progress to go

9 Likes

It feels great to see you guys no longer second guessing, but using the same tools we use to measure progress. We are all seeing the same story now and it’s a great one. This is all a lot more comfortable now, of course we will see slippage and delays, but know where and can be told why.

42 Likes

Don’t know about you guys, but I am hoping a real bombshell gets dropped tomorrow :wink: feels like we are getting really close to critical milestones that will make people have to re-evaluate their fundamental analysis on the value of MAID

8 Likes

I think adopting quic-p2p accelerated the project immensely.

10 Likes

Looks like reliable message relay is done. Vaults and quic-p2p have made decent progress too.

Loving these boards: https://github.com/orgs/maidsafe/projects/4#column-5272734

12 Likes

One item still needs review, but looks good indeed! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think coded doesn’t mean done in the sense wanted here, because there will be some unit testing (probably short but could find bugs which adds delay), plus integration testing as each new piece is added to the system. So I’m not expecting a public testnet/vaults at home for a couple of weeks (at least) after Maidsafe start soak testing their own Fleming code. Question is will we know when that starts? I think we know it can’t start until all the individual tasks show complete.

17 Likes

Some interesting merges in Github. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

That is full steam ahead :grinning:

10 Likes