Pre-Dev-Update Thread! Yay! :D

Absolutely understandable and valid motives - but just hammering out the link with a generic text (or the bullet points from the update) would make it a real signal vs. Just old information for people interested in the project progress to read

Ps: Ah - but then again I’m no trader - if they don’t feel it’s the way to do it and don’t like it like this they should raise their voices themselves - none of my business (which they probably won’t do because the slower other traders because of delayed signals the better for the informed one)

1 Like

I thought we all agreed to sync to Universal @Neo Time (UNT) anyway?

5 Likes

Loving the precision here. Wouldn’t want to get the date confused with May 10, 2019 BC :wink:

4 Likes

The A was certainly overkill, but in North Korea it is now Juche 108 :wink:
And to be even more clear: anno Domini (not anno Draw).

1 Like

I can’t wait for today update and ROADMAP

GO MAID! :rocket::rocket:

1 Like

I’m disappointed @draw didn’t specify whether he’s talking about the Julian or Gregorian calendar though

3 Likes

Hey Dug you were just being nice to all of us in Australia and New Zealand. The updates always come out on the Friday morning, so I don’t know why everyone says they come out on Thursdays :upside_down_face:

So your roadmap only came out on Friday the 10th anyhow and that is the story I’m sticking to :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Can’t rush things, there was no timetable set for the release of UNT was there. Obviously just takes time for it to be implemented :crazy_face::clock12:

5 Likes

I see in Github there is some issue with the common coin, wasnt that solved? I guess another thing that delays the fleming?

I’m sure we’ll be informed in today’s dev update. They still have time to do such things while node ageing and routing model is being fully implemented.

2 Likes

Link please…

You can find it right here. https://github.com/maidsafe/parsec/pull/310

2 Likes

Wonder what this means for the paper that was sent for review.

AFAIK absolutely nothing. They have parsec v2 completely figured out, it’s just more time and resource intensive than they can currently provide for Fleming to implement the threshold crypto BLS stuff. Seems like this is a quick fix that should work for Fleming in the meantime till they can fully implement parsec v2. I’m sure we’ll hear more soon :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Yeah, for clarity on this PR 310, the commit message should give a good explanation.
Basically, we realized that our concrete coin (which was always going to be replaced by a common coin once we invest the resources) didn’t play well with some assumptions we’re making.
In this PR, we replaced it with an alternative that makes PARSEC not theoritically asynchronous (btw, also a problem the concrete coin has), but that patches the soak tests for the time being.
If anything, this may bump the common coin work up the priority list a bit, but not more than that. I don’t foresee it delaying Fleming (@anon94252342 :wink:)

22 Likes

In the github comments you speak of a rfc of the actual common coin you’re going to implement (as replacement of the fake one in PR 310). Which rfc is that? I do find #0049 PARSEC, where there is talk of a concrete coin (2/3th of the time common). And that is what I remember (maybe wrongly) as being the (initial) Parsec breakthrough (Byzantine Agreement, Made Trivial), because a common coin was very difficult.

4 Likes

Oops. My bad! I thought we had released an RFC for a proper common coin. We definitely edited the paper to include a real common coin, but haven’t released this yet as it’s making its way through the formal publication process.
We also did a POC of proper common coin but didn’t finish it as we ran out of allocated time to investigate pre-Fleming. We also wrote up the lessons learnt in this POC with the intent to raise a RFC, but it seems we didn’t actually publish it yet.

A common coin is difficult, but now the hard bits are available as other projects such as POA Network released some important components such as Distributed Key Generation in the open. It makes it feasible, now in 2019 to implement and rely on an actual common coin rather than our concrete coin which limited how asynchronous the algorithm was.

11 Likes

Fleming today? Or what is missing to get there? :smiley:

EDIT: Maidsafe we need it so badly! :wink:

1 Like

Can we get any insight into the Node Aging bit. I can see that there are 3 completed tasks out of 14… and that have been the case for some time now. Is there any ongoing issue which is halting the progress in this area? Just hope that it will not take same amount of time to finish as Parsec :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Feels like we might all need to be sitting when reading tonight’s update.

I wonder what’s new. :hugs:

5 Likes

It looks that everything in going towards next stage as was planned in a schedule last week.

2 Likes