Pre-Dev-Update Thread! Yay! :D

Yeah, it’s a convenient tool for organizing a standard pc build. I’ve been using it the past few years whenever I need to propose or brainstorm a new build.

1 Like

Maybe this calls for a new thread, but …

I’d like to try running Qubes OS (https://www.qubes-os.org), i.e. really a hypervisor, on the machine I’m planning, and I’m under the impression I’ll need 64 GB of memory for that. Do you think that’s overkill?

I tried sticking Qubes on an old desktop I have, but I couldn’t get it to work. The BIOS says virtualization is supported, but Qubes seems to disagree. Do you guys have experience with motherboards that actually work like they’re supposed to? I’m really waiting for the AM5 platform to become available, but I’m thinking about something like this.

I just really don’t want to pay 400 € for a motherboard only to find out it doesn’t work as intended.

3 Likes

Did you win this morning?

2 Likes

No I slept this morning - Im on hold for tech support for past 5mins
Q

It’s the little things in life that bring true happiness.
node join coming back being one of those things!

13 Likes

My 2 cents:

I use seasonic as well, but would recommend a 750 watt psu minimum (700 for a seasonic). You could save some money by going with an asrock mobo… the tai chi have worked well for me for 8 ryzen builds. An amd gpu will be much easier to run on linux, I refuse to touch nvidia on workstation builds unless there is an application specific need for machine learning and it is not the primary gpu. You should really consider a 12 core ryzen.

Edit: Why no ECC ram?

1 Like

I guess we all know what Mr. Torvalds had to say about Nvidia. It may be against the rules to quote him, though. :wink:

2 Likes

linked without comment…

5 Likes

Who else to break the uncomfortable silence than @Southside

3 Likes

You need to be very very careful with uncomfortable silences…
Left unchecked, they can develop into lulls, and lulls lead to (gasp) pregnant pauses…

2 Likes

And pregnant pauses give birth to …

1 Like

delays in getting a testnet…

It’s been quite on the GH front :crossed_fingers: :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I can feel it in my waters :wink:

3 Likes

here we are again waiting for our Thursday fix !!

7 Likes

My new pi should be here today would be great if there was something to test it out :wink:

4 Likes

“should be” being the operative word?
My new M.2 module “should be” here today as well… Hermes are utter crap - worst of all delivery services. Thats what we get for allowing privatisation… THank you English Tory scum.
All my recent Royal Mail despatched ites from Ebay arrived on or before promised date

1 Like

Royal Mail have failed also :rage:

Edit: I take that back it’s just arrived :smiley:

3 Likes

the silence is deafening !!

1 Like

I thought Royal Mail was privatised.

2 Likes