Pre-Dev-Update Thread! Yay! :D

Not sure how it caused that wreck, it seems to me people are catching the btc rebound train and selling anything in sight.

1 Like

It was pretty bad just before the update but it dived immediately after. Could just as easily have been coincidence. The rats are jumping ship and the stupid thing is that there’s nothing wrong with the ship :grinning: Someone sneezed and they all ran to mama Bitcoin. Traders will trade as they like to say. Live to fight another day. Need very positive updates now. A regular 15 min podcast from Fergish featuring David Irvine to encourage the troops? The sun will come out tomorrow etc etc. :sob:

6 Likes

Please continue any trading talk on the topic for it. MAIDsafecoin, Price and Trading topic (Closed) - #631 by dallyshalla

For context sake those 3 are left, but anymore will mean I have to move all to prevent this turning into another trading topic

5 Likes

Routing at version 0.18.1

MaidSafe Utilities at version 0.5.4

Link 1
Link 2

8 Likes

Thanks for the reminder about Lint warnings, @polpolrene , a concept I’m still shaky on. I have the feeling that Rust, being so type-strict and proactive in its hygeine, should not have “suspicious constructs.”

2 Likes

Everything is unencrypted right now, I made a big fuss about it a while back, as did @janitor.

There are a ton of nuggets about it in my public notice thread.

In the theoretical complete version of the network, pretty much everything at every level is encrypted.

As of now (before the MVP is released), I haven’t read in any dev update that across-the-wire encryption was added for any of the Alpha versions.

This is in Crust:

Looks to me like encryption from point of bootstrap due to the our_public_key part. Let me know if I’m wrong. I’m not a programmer.

I need to refamiliarize with the code but I remember seeing a significant amount of public key variables when I originally talked about traffic being unencrypted.

For safety, continue to assume it’s unencrypted.

Hopefully a dev can pop on and tell me off :slight_smile:

I do ;-). But you make the statement that everything is unencrypted right now, and I doubt that until someone proves me wrong. Again, I’m not a coder. But self_encryption is active as well for all I know. And if we have encryption in Crust as well I think we’re already encrypted over several layers.

1 Like

Network layer encryption is not currently enabled the secure_serialisation crate does that. It’s simple enough and I bring it up at most meetings about crust. Right now it’s good for us to see the messages though, but only during this test.

However, the data is encrypted via self encryption. On top of this we will have several layers of encryption over the wire Remember here the network cannot decrypt data, only client’s even have access to self encryption never mind the keys. Encryption on the network is not about encrypting data for security (of data in transit per se, but messages containing the data, which is already encrypted) , it is used for privacy and security of message source and destination. It’s used to basically keep snooping out of the network at the network or routing levels.

routing layer messages (hop messages) already are signed and will be encrypted. This encryption removes need to sign as it is authenticated encryption, normally! However we also sign these to allow proof of message fro nodes that need to report another node in the network to it’s group. The signature allows that and is in place.

Crust layer again encrypted using authenticated encryption where keys are passed via routing channel (already keys passed, simply not passed to encryption function in serialisation.

Note we have currently limited the “sentinel” part of the network during the test as well, so group consensus right now is “1” and this is again for tests. The tests should in no way be considered secure, regardless of encryption or not. The releases will be secure though.

18 Likes

Everybody get that? Let’s not make stink about the TESTS not being secure as this is not an MVP and you will know when you get it because it will be just as clear as all the other posts the team writes up. Personally I haven’t felt misled or dooped and I don’t have my panties in a bunch because btc takes a slight rise in price. Hold tight folks it’s allllll goooood

6 Likes

Routing at version 0.18.2

8 Likes

Vault at version 0.7.0

7 Likes

I actually have started coming to this thread for updates on development progress :slight_smile: You guys don’t miss a trick!

25 Likes

I’m really interested to see what version changes will be for the MVP and later the Beta. Some beta versioning starts at 0.9.0 but can be anywhere up to 2.0 I think if I understand it correctly, based off from how much functionality is added. I don’t have a full understanding of versioning but curious if anyone else watches it as I do trying to grasp where the software is in relation to where it will be at Beta. @polpolrene since routing is at 0.18.2 does just mean there’s much less work to be done to it compared to vault?

1 Like

I look at what the change log says. I do not understand all the details ;-). If you look at Routing, it says that that module will be restarted when the node fails to join the network (probably in x-amount of time). So instead of just trying to reconnect over and over again, it looks to me as if the Devs tested it and found out that a restart of that module was a better idea. David pointed out a few days ago that they started the network several times on the Droplets:

So these sort of details is what I’m looking for. It seems they tested the nodes, found out a way to improve making connections to the network by restarting a module. But just like you I don’t know the details about versions.

3 Likes

Routing at version 0.18.3

7 Likes

I also check the changelogs and enjoy reading the bulletpoints of new features or improvements. I appreciate much like others here that you save us the trouble of seeking that out as I only get to checking the change log in the pm usually so thanks for posting these. The want to get a grasp on versioning so I can perhaps get some foresight into what’s next but I also don’t mind just passively seeing the progress as it’s pretty quickly paced as it is. Hurray for maid safe!!

1 Like

Ok Here is where we are tonight (again)

Good news

• Tcp hole punching has been very successful.
  • Tried from China which worked perfectly well
  • Automatic nat_traversal seems very good
  • We are not using any more resource in Udp and variants now as the Tcp nat_traversal is much better than we thought.
  • Much of logging is now improved, info for user facing logs and debug level for more information such as numbers of messages, amounts of data per vault. Should be interesting for people, but especially for devs.
  • Service discovery switched back on (no need for config files)
  • Overall design for network dashboard agreed and log messages being altered to suit (think old visualiser with much more user facing data).
  • Many client updates to prevent abuse of self encryption (it was inefficient)
  • significant reduction in data passed during churn
  • Network full tested and works fine, adding more resource lifts client block when network is full.
  • automatic deployment of vaults on publishing a github tag (release). Platforms so far X86 Win/Linux: X64 Win/Linux/Osx
  • Docker containers in final test stage for auto deployment
  • ARM (yes @happybeing) is already building (we do need to PR a 3rd party repo though) and will be added to auto deployment. There is a bug at runtime and Adam is on that right now. Looking good for ARM though

current blockages

Only one really, which is we have still seen machines being overwhelmed somehow to the point heartbeat messages fail to arrive. This causes nodes to restart and network instability. We are benchmarking parts of the system tonight to see if we can see just where this is. Tomorrow will see us try and squash this one. That should make way for test2 which I feel sure everyone will see a huge improvement with. The reason I am so delighted is now we can test on the network and now can demonstrate how quickly we can react to wishes and any bugs we find. It is a significant improvement.

So lets see where we get tomorrow and then get this test going.

For the folks wondering about releases we are moving towards Alpha and this will be the MVP. It will iterate though a few Alpha versions till we are happy to call it Beta. At Beta we will add messaging and test-safecoin. Then release and safecoin. I hope that describes the process we are following. MVP is a huge milestone and it’s around the corner as anyone can see and we can demonstrate. Just as soon as we squash this message processing issue we spotted this afternoon.

46 Likes

Where is the hug emoji? I really want to give you a million hugs and I could care less if everyone judged me for it!!!

12 Likes