Post-Capitalism: Rise of the Collaborative Commons - The Revolution will not be Centralized

Hey everyone, I’ve just published an in-depth article on disruptive technologies - the Internet of Things, 3D printing, distributed renewable energy harvesting/sharing, Blockchain 2.0 - decentralization, the automation of the workforce, and the emerging new collaborative economy. Please check it out and give it a share to help continue the discussion and get the word out (I am self-publishing so any shares are hugely helpful!).

7 Likes

Sounds interesting. I’m going to bookmark this to read it when I have the time.

Haven’t read yet but I will, sounds similar to Jeremy Rifkin’s most recent book “near zero marginal cost, the rise of the collaborative commons” which is a good read. Jeremy Rifkin would be a good person to know of the safe network.

1 Like

The blockchain is a tool for a purpose that is decentralization. If there are another tool, and the SAFE network is one better, we must use it.

It’s not the blockchain, it’s the decentralization!!!

To add to that I think blockchains are good for holding any entity that has authority or responsibility to its members or what have you, accountable. Also to provide transparency.

1 Like

Haven’t read it yet, but judging by the intro that sounds like completely free capitalism for me.
Which is good.

Technologies you describe mostly remove the State and political entrepreneurs from the position of power.
Private property is still there, and so is the freedom of using it any way people see fit (as long as they respect property rights of others).
In the future you won’t get those solar panels for free or at a subsidized price… If you manage to do that, that means other things that you predict won’t happen.

1 Like

From the article:

"As goods and services become more freely available, the sun will begin to set on the capitalist era. "

“Empowered and driven by recent technological innovations, a new economic system is now emerging that is significantly better suited for organizing a society characterized by sustainable abundance rather than scarcity.”

“The foundational principals and philosophies upon which the capitalist system is based — private property, wage labor, profit-driven competition and debt-based finance — are no longer relevant under such conditions.”

I think that’s pretty much what you would get really. Anyway, glad "Post-Capitalism appears to be as agreeable sounding to you, as it does me. :smiley:

1 Like

That’s a judgment just like mine.

There is nothing different with regard to the sustainability except those factors I mentioned (the elimination of parasites). Like I said, no free solar panels for you. You can get them only from the State.

Har-har… Please tell this to MaidSafe devs, because those misguided souls are completely unnecessarily working on MaidSafe security and encryption.
Clearly the elimination of private property makes security and passwords irrelevant.
That is so clueless, it’s incredible!

Then I don’t want it.

Lol…all were quotes from article…I didn’t say any of it. :smiley:

I know. You quoted them as if they were actual arguments.

I didn’t say you are clueless, but those statements.

I was just winding you up really, as I knew it didn’t sound up your street. :smile:
I’ve not read full article but I do like the general politics of it - that’s why I was chuckling to myself because we are usually diametrically opposed politically. :smiley:

You always know everything now don’t you?
xD

Yep, that was my primary source material.

2 Likes

Really interesting article (still only half way through though). It covers a lot of ground and really thoughtful. I think the essence is in the statement:

“Markets are beginning to give way to networks, ownership is becoming less important than access, the pursuit of self-interest is being tempered by the pull of collaborative interests, and the traditional dream of rags to riches is being supplanted by a new dream of a sustainable quality of life…While the capitalist market is based on self-interest and driven by material gain, the Commons is motivated by collaborative interests and driven by a deep desire to connect with others and share. If the former promotes property rights, caveat emptor, and the search for autonomy, the latter advances open-source innovation, transparency, and the search for community.”

A true Janitorial Shangri-La… :smiley:

Will definitely read the rest.

3 Likes

Well put @Al_Kafir and awesome article @cdew. I’m glad this message is getting out there I think the more awareness the easier the transition. The one thing that bugs me is how company’s like Samsung and ibm’s adept are trying to become the IoT’s backbone. They are well known names so many will flock to that or just unknowingly accept it. I think that IoT is one I would much rather opt out of but I also think there is potential there with things such as pinoc.io
and the SAFEnetwork. IoT seems silly in the first place but in the name of efficiency and knowledge, as long as secure and open has amazing potential. But of course it’s seen as an “industry” and if no one makes money then what does that mean of its fate?

1 Like

What I know is irrelevant. I could have not appeared in this topic (or the forum) and it wouldn’t change the way things are.

How does one know what to pursue?
How do you know what is collaborative (or collective) interest?
What gives people these magic signals?

The free market is based on self-interest, of course. But that has nothing to do with the type of gain people seek in it.
How does the author know what motivates people on this forum?
How could a member of collaborative community identify a materialist and ban it from the new, sharing community? Or, if everyone’s welcome, why would the same people work differently when on an anonymous network there is at least the same amount of opportunity to be materialistic, egoistic and selfish?

Open Source innovation can be advanced only because OSS is private property.
It is not something that is in public domain or that belongs to the community. It is property of the copyright holders (a private organization) and it comes with strictly defined Terms of Use. (Or are you maybe trying to imply you use OSS without any respect for its EULA?)

For example, when you accept to use OSS of the GPLv3 variety, you can use it for gratis because you accept the deal and the deal is that you pay for it with free labor. It’s a capitalist, free market if there was ever one.

Humorous comments are appreciated, but I haven’t seen one explanation as to what the heck is this place where people exchange Good Things ™ if not market, and how do people find out what to produce, how much of it to share/sell and under which OSS license, and how can one share or sell something that doesn’t belong to him (aka private property).

I claim it’s called Free Market Capitalism, and definitively not Post Capitalism.

I agree. I otherwise liked the article, but I’m not anti-private property and don’t believe it will go away. Often I think that people who do believe that (secretly?) dream about communist ideals. Private property could only go away if the state confiscates it all, and I don’t believe in such crimes.

It does seem plausible to me that the common man will have less private property in the future, simply because it’s not cost efficient.

1 Like

If the state confiscated anything, that would just mean it became the property of the state.

Property is defined by actions and observations. Property ownership has to be voluntarily be relinquished by everyone at all times for the concept of property to become obsolete.

That would be a suicidal act, but you never know - maybe with the launch of MaidSafe 1.0 Al Kafir will relinquish ownership of his medical records and MaidSafe password/PIN.
Inquiring minds shall wait & see!

Lol…this is funny. I’m not advocating getting rid of property rights…I’m not arguing anything in fact, just quoting the article - which is looking like it might cause your head to explode…which is making me chuckle :smile:
Just to try and defuse things, I think there may be a misconception here:
What I take from the article is that all the de-centralisation and taking out the middleman will reduce margins and lead to an abundance of resources. This will have the result that people work less and value property less (as more abundant). I think the reasoning is that as resources such as “water” or “air” are largely taken for granted without feeling the need to “own” them, it is recognised that they are “shared” resources, then it will become the same with other resources.over time. There will be a recognition that all the Earth’s resources are communal/shared and the general Zeitgeist will change.

Yes, in the current system, that is the case. Hopefully a fairer system other than copyright/Patent will evolve into being.

1 Like