Possible MaidSafe Marketing Slogan? :)

But for the transparency it might be something like

“Writing on the Wall”
… &
“Secure Access For Everyone to Primary and Secondary Sources”

1 Like

I’m not keen on petro or dollar.

I was really struck by @ioptio describing Safecoin as “if the internet had been launched with its own currency.”

Maybe we can capture this…

Safecoin: safe payments on SAFE Network
etc

1 Like

I don’t like the word petro either but I like describing safecoin as a sort of oil that keeps the SAFE network running rather than trying to talk about it as a currency. Ethereum I think has settled on “gas” which I don’t like either but as we start reaching beyond the cryptocurrency space (as we are now), it’s important to remember that non-fiat currencies are weird to people so it’s best to ease them in with a concept that they’re already familiar with like how engines need oil lubrication to keep running… but that analogy is also faulty in that the engines do not produce the oil that is lubricating them.

Maybe there’s a way to allude to electricity instead?

2 Likes

Like circulatory fluid or blood. Maybe its more like oxygen. .

1 Like

I think we need to reflect utility (payment / store of value etc) rather than try to frame a metaphor that doesn’t convey this (oil, electricity etc).

To understand why, think about what we are trying to convey. Are we trying to explain the network, or educate users in what the network can do for them? I’m assuming the latter here.

1 Like

Disregarding the underlying network ‘that just works’ (and why a lot of folk like Apple Mac) my feeling is always ‘value exchange’. To me the network would have been the purest of ‘value exchange’ systems (akin to the true meaning of ‘Ubuntu’/No money) but given reality, fiat is involved…but value exchange it is.

@dirvine has mentioned ‘oil’ as the lubrication of the machine previously and is mentioned once in the post this quote comes from

In MaidSafe we are partnering with many companies who are like-minded. This in itself makes the proposition stronger. With the increase in value transfer between these companies we can provide a greater value transfer to people. As the machine kicks in then this value transfer leads to profit. To increase the profit, the model scales upwards. This does not mean MaidSafe becomes Goliath, it means it grows the eco-system around it. This profit is invested, not in MaidSafe alone, but in the eco-system. Each member of the eco-system is as important as the other. I think of this like grass growing, the single tall stem will be blown over as there is no protection, but if it shares food and light with those around it then it can grow tall with others around it for protection. This blade of grass (or company) is then a catalyst for a field of success. This strength allows more profit as the thing picks up.

Everyone has value, gained from experience and hence something to contribute…and contribution builds confidence, something sadly lacking in a lot of people today. So if people have the chance to contribute and receive value themselves in return, this network can help facilitate a rebuilding of humanity’s faith in itself, which has been crushed under the weight of this evil debt based paradigm.

6 Likes

We need to tap into existing meaning foundations of users of the current web. As generic as this may seem it creates familiarity with technology that is relatively new and highly complex. I like the acronym nature of the name MaidSafe, it serves the brand well with lots of meaning embedded. The convention of using SAFE before any additional word is also useful.

Some slogan suggestions

“Bringing the web back to the people.”

“Your data. Your choices. Your web.”

“Beyond our centralized internet.”

“The web the way it is meant to be.”

Keep the suggestions coming :smile:
Can’t wait for Beta!

3 Likes

Safe web sounds good. Safe cash. Safe gold. Safe pay. Safe colony.

3 Likes

I agree. I personally like ‘Secure Access For Everyone’ best.

:smile:

As a name of the network itself, I think I also prefer ‘the safernet’. It rolls off the tongue well, it’s very similar to ‘the internet’, and it conveys that it’s safer than the internet. Incidentally, typing a word with (multiple) upper cases is inconvenient, so I prefer lower cases for this.

Anyway, I’m going to use ‘safernet’ in my posts from now on. Perhaps it’ll catch on. :blush:

3 Likes

Secure Access For Everyone goes way beyond digital divide and speaks to enclosure and lock out. Its secure access to relevant information for everyone. It implies a level playing field and less BS and propganda. Its completely inclusive. Its really a great, great acronym. I don’t think we can do better that that. It also implies a voice for everyone and not being able to silence or censor people. To me it means transparency as well because people will have access instead of being told they aren’t qualified or its confidential or secret when one way or another it substantially impacts them and their families.

“Want SafeCoin? It’s easy. Pitch in–get ya some.”

Me too, I’m with you on this one

1 Like

SafeCoin: ‘Give and Receive’ i.e provide value, receive value

My suggestion is an advertising campaign based on “Better Safe…than sorry” - with depictions of situations involving invasions of privacy, mis treatment of whistle- blowers etc - where people wished they had used Safe.

5 Likes

Yeah like a take on the Mexican Stand off where a group of people, each with pistols in both hands, have their arms intertwined at shoulder level and their pistols pointed at the base of their neighbor’s head on either side as their circle spins and they can, can and sing “chicken bone, chicken bone, choking on a chicken bone” while someone in their midst is choking on a chicken bone and they are doing nothing about it. It was something from an audio review type class where the bystanders were not obligated to help someone that might be choking on a chicken bone in the restaurant they were frequenting because there was no obligation to be a good Samaritan. Probably copyrighted material but piss yourself hilarious so you can’t forget in the middle of super dense dry material- but no pistols and no stand off.

Or a Rumsfeld stand in going on about known knowns and unknown unknowns and knowing what we know and don’t know… leading to we know everything about you and you better ask us permission for everything.

That was the idea I was trying to get with
Safecoin: Pitch in = Get ya some.

We’ll find the magic phrases eventually. :wink:

lol, just came back to this. still makes me lol

Might be an idea to sit down with some groups of outsiders, explain the basics of what Safernet aims to do and ask them for a slogan.:grinning:
Just as an experiment, I wrote “SAFENET” on a piece of paper and asked a young Indonesian friend who has basic English what it meant to her. She immediately twigged that it meant safe internet or safe computer. Score for simplicity. :smile::smile:

1 Like

Unfortunately there would be legal issues in using safenet as this trademark has been run by a US firm in our field for some time. I do agree that this would be a solid choice though.

3 Likes

Safeweb, Safecom, Safenet, Safeworld, Worldsafe, Safeglobe, Globalsafe, Unisafe, UnitedSafe, it’s all in use already. :frowning:

The logo for Woldsafe (babyproducts!) is nice though.

We have to come up with something better. Safe Universe is not used much, as Google shows. But I’m not getting very enthousiastic right away, to be honest…

1 Like