Popular misconceptions about the SafeNetwork and MaidSafe

I agree the terminology hasn’t quite hardened yet (which is why we’re having this conversation), and that that can create some confusion. As I mentioned, I think being consistent with what we’re referring to with each term is an important first step.

But I honestly don’t see this as a huge problem. Eventually and inevitably consensus will form around what to call the project—IMO likely SAFE Network, or simply SAFE.

The issue about how to understand the project—the thumbnail version—is of course an ongoing challenge. IMO part of this is an education problem/opportunity, and part of it is … we actually just have to wait to see what the network becomes. We can do rough sketches of how we think things will look one or five or 10 years from now, but the reality is that a lot of those details are still TBD. Which can be exciting, if we’re able to withstand the ambiguity in the meantime.

2 Likes

I think that the SafeNetwork or SAFENetwork is better than spacing them as SAFE Network because it make them unique as a keyword.
If we space it as SAFE, it becomes a generic term and it becomes a nightmare for several reasons.

The first is that it becomes hard to be recognized by the public, and the second one is that you will never be able to defend the trademark.

Brands fight very hard to avoid their trademarks genericized, and there is a good reason for that.

5 Likes

The Dark Web? Is that the same as TOR?

Yes, TOR is generally known as the “Dark Web”, at least in the US. I’m not sure about other English speaking parts of the world.

1 Like