I’m wondering whether we need a separate forum for developers or we can integrate the content here in the main forum’s development category. I know that this has cropped up a few times in the past (see my first comment below this topic for a small list if you are keen) but personally, I feel that the time is right to raise the topic again.
We discussed this in the office and it was a pretty convincing swing towards a single forum so now I’d love to get a broader opinion.
- 1 - Move to a single forum
- 2 - Stay as two separate forums
From what I can gather we originally had a single forum (this one) and it was split into two in order to take developer specific chat out to a new space. This would remove the ‘noise’ of general chat from developers and would stop development specific chat clogging up the main forum for people who weren’t interested in that level of detail.
Pros & Cons
To my mind, and I’m not suggesting that this is an exhaustive list, the following are the positives and negatives I see in migrating to a single forum.
- Only need a single forum login (devforum needs seperate signup)
- One place for all conversations to be based (no need to check 2 forums)
- Remove needing to duplicate or cross-link topics on forums
- Non-developers can get an increased appreciation of development activity (if interested)
- Without filtering topics there could be a lot of technical posts for non-devs to skim past
- Without filtering we could see a good bit of market/general chat for devs to ignore.
A note on filtering …
I found out while looking into this that a user can filter what categories are
muted in their account preferences so it should be easy to avoid topics that are not of interest. I’m thinking about posting about this in the beginners section.
Okay, I guess it’s up to you to give your preference…