Poll: Do you want ERC20 MAID?

Good point Mark. I don’t know if it was a malicious statement, I didn’t take it as one but yes you have a great point. With Fleming we have Sybil resilience and therefore the test Safecoin is really just as good as real Safecoin. The question is whether Maidsafe officially want to keep transactions of Fleming going forward and to call it real Safecoin and get THAT listed on exchanges. I still think having ERC20 MAID would open up opportunities to interlink some stuff between SAFE and ethereum which would kind of extent the ecosystem.

Wise man and appreciate the input. Kind of put a check on my reaction to be honest. Thanks Mark.

4 Likes

Good point. The only things out of their testing phase are [insert nutty religions here].
Price can go back up whenever it feels like it from the work currently being engineered.

3 Likes

This project will be dead if so.

I don’t think ERC20 maid will help anything, but if we want to try it then it can’t really hurt, if it takes a month or more to build it then I think that would be detrimental to safe Fleming delivery though.

3 Likes

If that Decorum transition tool is just slightly modified and we as a community answer any incoming questions as to not distract the team I think it could go smooth. I know my opinion but if for some reason it was against the teams then I would tamper my expectations but I and others here only want to do right by the project by increasing support for MAID to hopefully give them the runway they need.

You have to think about this too, if we get Fleming soon and the team is confident it can be real Safecoin and the copyright stuff is all settled and whatnot, they still will have to work with exchanges so they can support the token. At that point maybe it’s not such a big deal because there should be more hype anyhow. It really comes down to how long the runway is, can Maidsafe sell lent MAID safely in this environment and get as far as they need safely, will Fleming release allow for real Safecoin. If we knew these things then the answer would be much more simple but we don’t so this seems like a pretty low effort solution that the community can take a large part in to help remediate the possible issues.

2 Likes

In uniswap even ordinary people can add liquidity and make money:
Screenshot_2019-12-21_18-51-54

3 Likes

I think that @zeroflaw simply meant that maidsafecoins won’t be convertible to test safecoins used in Fleming.

2 Likes

I’m deep into a project to move an existing coin to ERC20 as we speak. For maidsafe It’s certainly feasible but non-trivial and would demand too much time from the team as it stands now to be worthwhile IMHO.
Had we had this conversation a couple of months back when there were non-engineering folk available from Maidsafe then it could have been a totally different story…

7 Likes

I’m sure he can speak for himself if he feels his point was justifiable.

Do you think it’s reasonable to suggest that conversion is “2+ maybe 5+ years away”? IMO that’s FUD.

4 Likes

It is bad that you compare maidsafe code with storj.

It is core software. The devs think and idea are first of all Not community.

1 Like

You’re implying the community knows all of the information and can make an informed decision.

David appears to be going with a different solution from the other posts so I’m unsure why we are even having this conversation.

1 Like

I agree. The oversubscription was a good move. Even with a halving of the then price it gave the project the original amount sought.
2020 is going to be a big year all around

9 Likes

Not everything is code friend. In order for the code to work, the network must have enough people in it to be resistant to attacks.

This means that the first versions of the network can be destroyed while they are small and additional things may need to be developed. We’ll see, I hope everything works out for the first time. :dragon_face:

1 Like

If the safe network is not that big, there is no reason to attack it.

But if safe is big, then the attackers will come.

And if the safe network has a value, the more farmers will come too.

It is the matter of profit based open network and Bitcoin network proof this.

So, why you think ERC-20 based maidsafe is one of the key points for growing network ? Even maidsafe will list on binance, it it some helpful but not that important.

Of course, the liquity of maidsafe is also important but it is time to check the SAFE is really working.

3 Likes

I do not think so. I think ERC20 token will help MAID trade on decentralized exchanges if anyone else decides to remove the omni token. And it is important to trade for the company to sell the tokens it borrowed from us… People need to get paid and eat

2 Likes

All this is true, however its one thing to create an ERC20 token, it’s totally another to implement it securely in the wild.
Let alone dealing with the problems that migration from OMNI will inevitably cause…

3 Likes

We know that about 16,000 people have MAID. How many people do you think will want to migrate their tokens to ERC20 MAID? And should it be automatic? Maybe it can be done with escrow?

We are not talking about full migration, but partial…

There is something else that is important. A large part of the currency is in the exchanges. And this big part is not in the books for sale!

Keeping OMNI is difficult and people use exchanges as a bank. Keeping ERC20 token is easy. How many people will take their money out of the exchanges if they can store them easily?

Every day that MAID sits on the exchanges is a risk. Maybe not a big risk, but maybe it’s worth the effort to solve…

5 Likes

Start here How to build your own Ethereum based ERC20 Token and launch an ICO in next 20 minutes - Hashnode

Thats the easy bit.

Testing it properly and working up a suitable migration plan is IMHO the more challenging side of it.

3 Likes

Maybe it seems that way to you.
I find keeping omni easy, as I learnt how to, not hard, just send to a btc address that you can access the pvt key of.
Where as I have absolutely no idea how to keep erc20 safely, as I know nothing about it.

2 Likes

Why do you think there are 60 million MAID in Poloniex then?

You’re the exception, friend. If we want new people to buy MAID we need the next most used thing, which is Ethereum…

2 Likes

If the network is hackable it will be hacked, believing that it won’t happen is mere wishful thinking.

4 Likes