Poll: Do you want ERC20 MAID?

who cares about trading a fake token, lets wait until real SAFE coins are out and ready to be traded.

7 Likes

Do i understand correct that there is coming a new UI to https://www.omniwallet.org/?

1 Like

yes, we expect it this week or soon… Until then, watch the new episode of Rick and Morty, it will fill the void in your life from the lack of MAID DEX :frowning:

4 Likes

Who? Cultural philistine here, I don’t really do popular culture unless it is loud and has at least 3 chords.

1 Like

It is very good sci-fi/comedy animation. If you like Back to the Future you will like it. If I remember correctly @andyypants is a fan too and can confirm :face_with_monocle:

From Rick and Morty I learned that Hemingway committed suicide with a shotgun and that this could be used as a sexual joke :see_no_evil: Very nihilistic and with a black humor show…

3 Likes

Might be prepared to make an exception for that. Should I look for it on YoutUbe? Lazy I know - just going out into big bad world to get potting compost for my freshly germinated coriander seedlings.
#SouthsideTheGreenFingered

3 Likes

Does this open outside Bulgaria?

Not here in the UK

1 Like

Try this VPN by choosing Bulgaria. I tested it and it works for me :dragon:

Honestly, OmniDex is too slow to use and too expensive. It use Bitcoin network for put ordering. I recommend you not to expect too much about it.

1 Like

For trading, I’m sure you’re right. But for holders, I think it will do

The erc-20 and something trick solution is not suitable for maidsafe these days. Just wait until Fleming, and let’s check it.

I am really excited, because

safecoin transaction → AT2 (This mean the performance of whole network might be huge upgrade)

Data type → CRDT (Also data which is not need Strictly ordered is not using PARSEC → Huge performance upgrade)

Routing → BLS-DKG (The key generation related things goes simpler and simpler → performance upgrade)

There are three magic performance tuning is undergo !! ( It is really excited PARSEC match the precondition of AT2…)
I think the performance tuning(I mean Web responsiveness speed with transactions) of safe network with millions(maybe over millions) node is some worried thing. But this kinds of tuning might solve this problem.

So, there is some possibility that Fleming maybe be a monster… And let’s tracking this great implementation and study the the meaning of this movement with deep thinking!

P.S Marketing and listing is not important. just see what happens on the github !~~!~!~!~!

15 Likes

We just need Richard Hendrick’s compression algorithm and we’ll be lickaty split!

4 Likes

I agree that Fleming and the whole project could / will be a monster, and I’m also hoping that monster will open the flood gates for adoption, but we should not rely on hope. Do the best things possible to make the project a success.

I disagree that the token exchange exposure and liquidity isn’t important.

Like I say, I’m seeing another project get hit hard by this, and it is very clear now that their lack of focus on exchange exposure was an error. Yes, they are fully launched and have miners that need the liquidity to pay the bills. SAFE is at a different stage. But the way the market goes, the more exposure the token has, the more awareness and price appreciation it has. Holders of the coin bring increased interest in the project. Increased increase naturally creates more media exposure, which will bring more developers and users when launched. Do we want to launch with nobody knowing, or with many people knowing?

Also, when SAFE gets launched it will be very important that the farmers have a way to sell their coins to pay costs. If we launch with just one or two exchanges that are not open to the whole world, it will limit the ability for farmers to onboard. We will have to see how this OmniDex goes, but it is obvious there is far more development and liquidity in the Ethereum based dex’s.

So many projects including tether easily moved over to ERC20. Also, once Safecoin is launched, the OmniDex will not be available for the coin. We will be in the same boat with very little exchange exposure.

All in all, it is a net positive to make the move IMO. Unless we are getting full launch within the next 3-6months with Safecoin available to use. If not, we are possibly going to miss out on another crypto bull market with many other projects with similar goals, but less developed software taking all the interest and money.

3 Likes

So your plan is to make an announcement to switch MaidSafeCoins to ERC20, and then a couple of months later to make another announcement that we are redeeming ERC20 to Safecoins?
Really? don’t you see a problem with the friction, confusion and frustration that it would generate for those who are MaidSafeCoin holders who are not really following this project every day?

Let me adventure a prediction of what will happen:
People who invested some in the beginning are aware that this is a proxy token that some day would be exchanged 1:1 to Safecoins once the network is launched, and that wasn’t really an easy task. Even though that is what was informed in the ICO, it had to be clarified innumerable times on every marketing material, talks, comment sections, blogs and forums as it was a very common misunderstanding, this was the source of confusion in many news articles mentioning that the SAFE Network worked on the Omni blockchain, and it took a lot of time to get the right message across.

Besides all that, lets not forget that the Safe Network is already carrying a horrible reputation for its botched ICO scandal, safecoin issuance mishap, and that stained image is still taking toll today. Anything we do from now on it has to be squeaky clean, professional and we can’t afford any margin of error to further the confusion with unnecessary friction points.

If a swap is announced people will flock back thinking that the SAFE Network has been launched, why? Because the swap has been associated with the launch, that’s what we’ve been telling them since 2014.
So they will come only to learn to their disappointment that the network hasn’t been launched yet. It is just a swap to ERC20, and we will have to again try to explain why we are doing that.
And it will cause another wave of frustration, with some even speculating that a scam is underway, why wouldn’t they? They thought the project was scammy anyways, and they are “swapping” without a network yet.
Rumours that the SAFE Network is joining Ethereum might also begin to spread.

Besides that, there will be logistical issues to plan, monitor and execute the swaps. Also, what will happen with those who are not following the news day to day? What happens with the Omni that weren’t swapped to ERC20? Someone be in charge of that and plan contingencies for it, every minute spent into planning and logistics of the swap is time and money that would be not spent into developing the actual network for launch.
And we will have to lobby each exchange to accept this new ERC20, and there is no guarantee that they will add it.
So now we will have unswapped Omni MaidSafeCoins, the ERC20 Safecoins from those who accepted the swap alongside the scammy Safecoin (from safecoin.org).
Not confusing at all for the newcomer who wants to get some safecoins.

And after all that trouble, are you planning to announce again another swap from ERC20 to Safecoins? How are you planning to get the people’s attention again after the frustrating previous experience?: “This time it is the real swap to actual Safecoins on the SAFE Network, really, reaaallly, I promise this is the last swap” ?
For what? Who would want to swap a highly liquid ERC20 (lets assume that Safecoin ERC20 was accepted into exchanges), just to move to a token that has yet to be convinced to get implemented in the exchanges?
Lets remember that every single exchange will have to be running their own SAFE Network wallet to be able to exchange it, so it will be starting all the outreach and negotiations again to add yet another token to their systems.
Just like before not everyone will be swapping them because not everyone is up to date with the project, and we will have: unclaimed omni maidsafecoins, unclaimed erc20 tokens, the actual safecoin and the scammy safecoin (which by the way they actually took the “SAFE” symbol). Three legitmate tokens and one scammy one.

On the other hand, you have the other clean option:

• Focus 100% of the energy of the team on the launch of the network.
  • Once the network is ready for launch, negotiate with the exchanges once to integrate to the SafeNetwork, so the native token can be traded there.
  • The team will have now the time to focus on the planning of swapping and considering all the edge cases that it may encounter.
  • Officially make the public announcement and the PR campaign about the launch of the network, with the token swap, alongside the names of the exchanges that accepted to list the official native token.
  • People who are excited about the swap will be excited to test the new network, and won’t be disappointed. People who were skeptical about the network will have to swallow their cynicism.
  • (and now that will have the official Safecoin vs the scammy Safecoin, and it will be much easier to direct people to the right one when you only need to discern between two options)

TL;DR

OMNI → ERC20 → SafeNetwork: increases costs, creates frictions, duplicates efforts, delays delivery of the network and increases the likelihood of misunderstandings and frustration as people might felt teased with the swap.

OMNI → SafeNetwork: Minimizes chances of misunderstanding, the announcements would be unambiguous, it would attract attention and word of mouth would instantly begin as the network is working.

25 Likes

Bravo, @piluso! Well said.

5 Likes

Hi Piluso,

I never said I had a plan. I actually said if we are going to launch soon then no it’s not worth it. If we aren’t looking to launch until over 12 months from now then I do think it’s worth it, especially if launch is in 2022.

My main point is that getting on exchanges is very important and factom may end due to their lack of importance on exchanges and 100% on building. It’s a different project, but there are lessons to be learnt from others mistakes.

I’m sure a switch to erc20 would allow for those who don’t switch to still be able to swap for safecoins once they are live.

Anyway, I wasn’t looking for a debate. Just wanted to highlight the Factom issues and ask if erc20 was still a consideration or dead in the water? My view was more like yours a while back, but that has changed recently.

5 Likes

Besides. What was the point of the poll if nothing came of it?

Well, it’s just as likely that it could be a year plus before Safecoin. The argument to not convert to ERC20 because ”launch is so close” has been in play for years now. However, even the core devs acknowledge that they can neither confirm nor deny how close launch will be. As such, I don’t think closeness to launch should be a factor around ERC20 conversion (unless we suddenly get timelines, which is doubtful).

That being said, questions like who is going to finance, code and build a secure MAID:ERC20 conversion process seem to present a more make or break issue. This is especially true as the MaidSafe team is unlikely to have the bandwidth for this. I’m not saying I think that ERC20 is a bad idea, just that what is the feasibility of doing so at this time? Even if the community were to step in, would people be willing to trust a conversion process that wasn’t built and/or sanctioned by MaidSafe?

7 Likes

Good question. Easy answer - No.

5 Likes