Pledge to use the network

Hello friends,

the idea of this topic is to show how strong the community is in its faith to use the Safe Network.

I vow to use the Safe Network to upload public data (mine or donate it to others) for 10 000 MAID in the first year. How many other people will promise to do the same? (obviously everyone can set a different amount in MAID) :dragon:

5 Likes

I donā€™t know about a set MAID value, MAID could fluctuate wildly and 10k MAID could be 10k USD or vastly higher with a working network. What I would pledge is a certain amount of data, varying on the cost.

I have my data store ranked by ā€˜critical-nessā€™. There is roughly 50 GB that I will upload at any cost, rebuying the MAID as I do it. The rest is on a cost curveā€¦ if the store cost is $5/GB as speculated in the other thread (I think that is much higher than it will be), then at that price I would rather contribute network resources until the cost comes down.

5 Likes

Iā€™ll def be uploading all my personal files, media, etc and using any holdings for apps. I could probably commit about the same but it would depend slightly on token price.

1 Like

The world is in desperate need of a SafeNetworkā€¦ once it is launched and acceptance begins it will burn like wild fire! It only has to deliver what it promisesā€¦! Just the thought of no governmental interference on a global network will make the whole world cheer with joy!

4 Likes

So how many MAID will you pledge to use on the network? The topic is about this - people who want to publicly pledge how much MAID they will use on the network :dragon:

Well put. It doesnā€™t make sense to pledge an amount of MAID when no one knows how much utility a Safecoin will purchase. I may not have 10K MAID worth of data to upload. Ratherā€”if anything at allā€”itā€™s more useful to articulate how much data people plan to upload.

3 Likes

May be of interest:

4 Likes

Iā€™m not going to put a figure on it but I have a lot of data which I backup and I definitely intend uploading it!

2 Likes

safegit: Hugely attractive, I will be storing my projects there.
desktop extension: Weā€™ve seen that we can mount safe as a file system, definitely going to use this.
other large files: permanent free storage of other large datasets. you bet.

4 Likes

Will definitely use. How much to pay depends on how much I need and how expensive it will cost me.

2 Likes

Iā€™m excited by the prospect of a simple and robust backup solutionā€¦ the number of hard drives Iā€™ve had fail is too many!

Itā€™ll be interesting to see in time, how much is private and how much public data.

3 Likes

As for me, I have several hundred gigs of home photos and videos that i consider irreplacable. That will be uploaded for sure. In terms of others using the network, there is a huge pent up demand for permanent file sharing. How many people out there spend hours combing forums trying to get into that super secret private torrent tracker? Or what about the usenet folks? I see this group of tech savvy people being the first real users. There is a ton of duplicate content out there and a lot of hardware to back it up just because it can be taken down in a matter of hours. Some of these users are leechers, but many are purists looking for that mythical sharing solution that cant be censored. This is the holy grail of file sharing. As long as there is a good app to share, download, and potentially direct stream, possibly with bounties for desired collateral, I think demand will take care of itself in short order. One of my biggest fears is that it will be too successful too quickly before other ā€œlegitimateā€ users come into the fold.

4 Likes

I LOVE the Safe-network but I wonā€™t spend above $100 000 on future storage. :wink: :kissing: I second Sotros and Dash

Iā€™m not sure what the value of this question is? Safe network will not be a charity case and will live or die by its usefulness. What people pledge here is neither here nor there.

Ofc, there is data I will upload and websites I will add. Iā€™d like to write some apps/interfaces for it too. It just sounds a bit cultish to be making pledges, imo.

6 Likes

There is no cult, friend, Iā€™m just checking my guess to see if people have bought MAID bags to use the network or to speculate. But in any case, my pledge stands :dragon:

But you know that 10 000 MAID have cost atleast $1 000, for a few years? :slightly_smiling_face
Far from all people on this forum even have above 10 000 MAIDā€™s.

1 Like

I donā€™t have terabytes to store personally. I would pledge that I will try to sell 10k MAID directly to the retail market that has use cases. I have figured for a while this bag wonā€™t be like a fast dump just cause its up. I want to try to actually sell people on the use case then oh look I have just how much MAID you need for that available for X price no hassle.

There are two assumptions about how the network will succeed. The popular assumption is that uploading data will attract farmers and protect the network. If this turns out to be true, then I argue that we as a community must be the driving force behind this data.

The second assumption is not popular and I am the main person talking about it. It is based on my observations of human nature:

• people want someone else to do the job;
  • people want expensive things for free.

Translated, this means, first, that people will expect someone else to pay and upload data. And second, that they will want to be farmers.

My guess is that this will lead to 2 distinct stages in the development of the network - a speculative stage when very few people will upload information, but will keep Safecoin and speculate on its future price, which will make it the first reasonable money. The next stage will be the actual use of the network for storing data. If this turns out to be true, then the network will be susceptible to economic attacks from other Safe networks (in the first stage).

I would argue that supporting people to create apps like Youtube and similar and help people discover Safe-network and those apps would solve that problem. I donā€™t believe in community as a driving force for uploading data.
Instead creating successful apps and help people discover them.

At early stage I think it might be speculative, people would farm because of the high price and hopes of future success, that would help secure the network and all will be good. Because of large excessive storage supply the price of storage will be cheap, leading to people want to store data and try it out. I think this could be similar to what we currently see with IPFS and Filecoin.

6 Likes

i pledge to have ready many popular videos to upload to the network! imagine those smug faces when safenetwork has the best of youtube for free as in freedom!

1 Like