Please Read: Digital Ocean Maintenance Issue

Better threads to ask your questions or discuss further include the following :.

https://forum.autonomi.community/t/geographically-demand-based-dynamic-incentives-should-be-implemented-to-promote-geographically-decentralised-distribution-of-data

https://forum.autonomi.community/t/what-about-a-catastrophic-event-that-wipes-out-millions-of-nodes

2 Likes

Sounds like a chance to better manage accounts , passwords, domain names and puts ! I made a real mess with this so far :wink:
I suppose it is also a nice opportunity to analyse how the network responded, and get a better view on what is needed to revive the network without data loss after a catastrophic event.

6 Likes

I think you are misunderstanding me or I am misunderstanding you. We intend alpha3 to be routing nodes from home ( we donā€™t run the infrastructure). Then alpha4 to be vaults form home ( we donā€™t run the infrastructure). Node age, data chains etc. will be required for this to happen, but safecoin will secure it and do what safecoin does.

If you mean we have alpha 2.x then perhaps we would run from different locations, but that is not the intention.

9 Likes

Iā€™d just finally got round to experimenting to upload to the network last week!

I was trying to do this using the web hosting manager, but I had a couple of issues. I was getting the error message:

Core error: Error while serialising/deserialising:Deserialise error:IoError: failed to fill whole buffer
This came up at every step, but each time it managed to get to the next step anyway, until I came to putting an address in, at which point pressing ā€˜nextā€™ did nothing at all.
This was on OSX High Sierra.

The other problem I had was that each time I tried afresh, it told me I needed to create a new public ID, which I did, but then when that was done it revealed all the public IDs I had already created!

Also, are the instructions by Hunter on the dev forum for manually uploading files also still valid and working? Would be perhaps too steep a learning curve for me but thought it might be worth a go at some point.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help with this, and maybe it will be helpful for others too, post Wednesday! As mentioned in the original post, might be a nice opportunity to nudge slow starters like me into actually playing around with the network a bit moreā€¦

Thereā€™s a problem with the network having been corrupted by maintenance at a hosting provider (alpha 2 is hosted centrally rather than by users) which means this is a bad time to be starting with the live network.

That should be fixed this Wednesday as noted in the OP.

So it would be wise to use mock routing for testing until the all clear has been announced.

Thanks,

Yes, Iā€™d understood that about the hosting. I was just trying to experiment with the process of uploading something (anything,) or making a basic page, which I assume will be the same (as a process) after Wednesday. Sadly nothing interesting enough to bother with mock routing yet, and thought now might actually be a good time to waste some of my old PUTs!
I donā€™t know enough personally to even begin to guess whether the error message is to do with the Digital Ocean issues, but got the impression from the OP that the disruption to the network was actually quite small, so guessed maybe the WHM should still work, and Iā€™d also had the same problems when I tried it previously as well.

As you say though, maybe better waiting til after Wednesday, and in the meantime working on my basic html skills offline!

1 Like

By the way I sent your post looking for Javascript help to a friend who wants to get involved with SAFE and is a web developer with JS skills, so hopefully he will be inspired!

5 Likes

Thanks, I appreciate it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Might be worth looking at the following IDE?

The tutorials are great.

1 Like

Hi @david-beinn, can you please confirm the following?
1- which version of WHM you are using?
2- are you using an account where you created at least one WebID with our PoC WebID manager app or you have never done it with the account you are using?
3- Iā€™ll double check with @hunterlester also, but can you confirm which instructions you are referring to just to be sure?

1 Like

@bochaco Heā€™s referring to this topic: How to upload a file to the network - General - Safe Dev Forum

@david-beinn Yes that tutorial is still valid, although Iā€™d write it now with async/await sugar instead of promises and there are some non-critical steps that Iā€™d cut out to make it simpler. At the time I wanted it to fully replicate the operations that web hosting manager performs.

3 Likes

Thanks! Really interesting for me as a layperson to see how much goes into a handy little app. Hopefully might figure it out one day!

Hi, thanks for looking at this!

Itā€™s version 0.4.4.15

Yes, I had created one ID using the webID manager, and then in due course a number of others using whm, for the reason described above. As I mentioned, they are obviously logged somewhere, because they eventually appear along with the new one, once I have made the new one as requested (if that makes sense.)

Iā€™m using Peruse browser if that helps at all.

I actually found Hunterā€™s instructions from the dev hub first, then the source code for whm manager in github, before I found that whm does already exist fully packaged in a nice app that is working for most people! Not sure if thatā€™s just me being blind, but the reset might be an opportunity to make it a bit more visible on the website or something.

2 Likes

I you already created a WebID, can you please try using the version of WHM published here: Release WebId Browser POC Ā· joshuef/peruse Ā· GitHub and confirm if you still have issues?

1 Like

Thanks very much, Iā€™ll give that a goā€¦

1 Like

Also @david-beinn, can you please confirm where you actually found it on the dev-hub? or you meant the dev forum post that Hunter shared above?

sorry, I meant dev forum

1 Like

ā€œWhere the nodes are hostedā€
Funny%20guy%20laughing%20hysterically

Sorry :expressionless:I have schadenfreude style of humor and found the irony in this to be too much for me this morning.

Onward an upward.

2 Likes

Is there an idea of what portion of groups were affected?

Also do you know if having vaults evenly across two providers (eg digitalocean and amazon web services) would have reduced the chance of data loss enough to avoid a restart? Maybe three providers? Four? Just curious to get an indication of how much extra resources it would have taken to mitigate the issue in this particular case.

Sort of a shame this unexpected ā€˜testā€™ couldnā€™t have given some more info about high churn events.

:+1:

8 Likes

Yes the more the better, however for alpha2 it is a small number of nodes (200) and none could restart (they delete their vault data on reboot) as node age is not in place (forces restartable vaults). Alpha 3 and 4 cannot come quickly enough really.

Not sure, Viv did a lot of legwork over the weekend forcing merges and similar tricks, but we are not confident some of the data is not lost, although we got the invariant back (all nodes seeing the correct network and routing tables).

9 Likes