Physically SAFE coins

As promised! @happybeing

Only bummer was that the extra border that was supposed to be a cut ended up being an etch and an inner circle was cut so the coins are missing its main outer boarder. :confused: but they still look pretty friggan sweet! Also my old lady ordered an oil based marker for me to fill in the etches so itā€™s more prominent and will add updated photos afterwards.

Hope everyone working hard @maidsafe catch the AT2 chip :smile:

Iā€™ll take some HD photos to share soon. Feel free to share around folks!

20 Likes

Very nice! Well done!

7 Likes

Were you asking for my address? :grin:

6 Likes

Could put these up on our shop eventually :wink:

5 Likes

Hey, so cool. Nice work @nigel!!!

4 Likes

I took some of the suggestions so far but will still see what looks best. I like having ā€œanonymousā€ personally as privacy coins are the future and distinguishes itself from Bitcoin clearly.
The Latin seemed short and sweet and tackles the ā€œsafe access for everyoneā€ and I also thought Latin was used on most coinage?
I feel like having massive array of internet disks ties it to Maidsafe and Iā€™m not sure that is appropriate or not. Peer to peer could probably be replaced with something better.
I do like digital currency but I wanted to make a hint at DBC (Digital Bearer Certificate) but changed that to ā€œDigital Bearer Coinā€ because certificates are typically paper, yes? But the acronym would still work and it mentions that it is digital and by using coin also currency.

I added an AT2 ā€˜chipā€™ in the circuit design to elude to it since that currently sets us apart as well.

I would like to get these on copper blanks like @Knosis had suggested and get some professional pics for bloggers and publishers to use. Granted I would prefer everyoneā€™s approval/blessing before taking it too far so there are no ā€œregertsā€ :joy:

3 Likes

Maybe these guys could help you do them in copper - or some other metal

https://www.coinsforanything.co.uk/

I found them very easy to work with. They have a UK prescence but I think all the real work is done in Germany. Precision, baby, precision.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll check them out, thank you. Hopefully they have good shipping since Iā€™m in the US :grimacing:

2 Likes

I just sent them an enquiry based on this

just to get an idea for pricingā€¦

2 Likes

Someone mentioned a specific weight of copper blank above, didnt they?

@Knosis

3 Likes

I suggested a troy ounce as it is know world wide as a unit of metal. :slight_smile: Iā€™m open of course to other weights. My main thought is that it if it were made of a world wide commodity it would always be kept and never tossed out.

3 Likes

So now I need to work out what thickness and dia will give us 1 troy ounce

31.10348 g density of copper = 8.96 g/cmĀ³

3.471370536 cm2 of Cu is 1 troy ounce

EDIT just seen your post below

2 Likes

Not sure if this helps. I found thisā€¦
specifications

Weight: 1 Avoirdupois Ounces
Composition: .999 Fine Copper
Mint: Golden State Mint
Condition: Bullion | Mint Fresh
Diameter (ā‰ˆ): 39.3 mm | 1.55"
Thickness (ā‰ˆ): 3.31 mm | 0.130"Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 12.43.50 PM

https://www.goldenstatemint.com/1-oz-Aztec-Calendar-Copper-Round-999-Fine.html

2 Likes

Whoops that is not a troy ounce haha

2 Likes

I should modify my enquiry to quote these dimensions to give us the 1 troy oz - but not just yet

2 Likes

Looks neat! This is gold but I asked for quotes on gold, silver, and copper 1 Troy OZ and asked if there were minimum quantities needed for an order.

5 Likes

If I ever re-join the real world, when I tip in a cafe - it would be nice to leave one of these with the local money. If the coin had a web address would be cool.

5 Likes

Iā€™m sure there is space for https://safenetwork.tech somewhere on the coin

3 Likes

Looks nice. Iā€™ve had a plan to pursue something like this too, but was waiting for beta to test the waters. No time like the present, go for it. :+1:

P.s. beware the trademark trollsā€¦

3 Likes

Well if Maidsafe implement DBC down the road then the SAFE NETWORK (back face) side of the coin could have the address/string/QR or whatever would normally be used. It raises a few questions for me though.

• Can a Safecoin be locked in the address and able to scan the QR to check itā€™s the right amount? I am pretty certain so.
  • Is there a way to prove the Safecoin is locked/tied to the coin?
  • If the Safecoin price goes up or down then it wonā€™t have a ā€˜stableā€™ value but how much does that matter? If we want it to be like a replacement for cash maybe some smart contract and or oracle service on SAFE could adjust the balance to keep the price stable but thatā€™s assuming itā€™s being valued in another currency.
  • Maybe the coins would be more a novelty as having kiosks that print a DBC on some paper will be cheaper.
  • At the least the coin will have its metal value.

If nothing itā€™s fun but what would be a big deal in my opinion is instead of just being fun, it also be functional.

2 Likes