Perpetual Auction Currency

I will try to make the case for stability of bids rather than continuous increase in bids. But my heart nor my mind have truly taken any one side yet and I’m enjoying the debate from both sides, it’s fascinating.

“Then when enough vault owners install the modified vault then the price increases a lot.”

“good non-abusing people have applied the patch to gain better rewards”

This is where the argument falls short.

There won’t be enough vault owners install it because it won’t give better rewards, it would give lower rewards.

Nodes will see the rewards are lower using this software than if they use a strategy aiming at median bids (ie their ‘true expected’ reward). So you’d be asking someone to get less reward for maybe some potential future result. But only maybe. If there are efficient operators trying to lower the bid to exclude others then maybe the reward will never increase, so bidding high is an extremely poor strategy.

The question I would want answered is “Will people install something without verifying that it will actually earn them more”? I want to restate: bidding higher earns less not more, at least in the short term.

It feels like the incentives to bid lower is being totally ignored. There’s a lot of good reasons to bid lower (discussed further below in this post).

I think there’s also some good case being demonstrated by @neo to include a bias in the reward toward lower bids, eg if NB is 100 and there’s a bid of 99 and a bid of 101 the 99 bid gets slightly more reward than 101 despite being equal distance from NB. Does this sound like it could help?

“I would do it too and I do not wish to abuse the network.”

You would earn less, so presumably this bidding is seen as ‘altruistic’ rather than competitive to some degree, which seems a strange form of altruism. You would also be encouraging less efficient operators to join, so the network would be slower to function. It’s a bit like the 51% attack in bitcoin, even if you could do it you’d be putting your investment at an existential risk so you probably never would even if you could. I dunno, maybe I’m naive, but it feels like bidding high is the worst strategy, not the best.

I think high rewards is not bad per se. But reward amount should always be able to be adjusted (up or down) to allow improvements in operations to be factored in. The bidding is a mechanism to introduce balance rather than to introduce movement. If a high bid has no reason to be countered by an equally low bid then rewards should probably move that way. But ideally, high and low bids should usually balance each other out. Extremely high rewards is not sustainable, and would likely be balanced in some way by lower bids. I’m open to further thinking on this though, not set in my opinion at all.

“encourages an APP to investigate the section details and share them.”

I think this is good, right? The point of bids is to encapsulate market information. So sharing bid information (both about the bid itself and why that bid is made) allows for more efficient bid discovery. I don’t see any reason to keep bids secret. But I do expect bids to be placed in a timely and strategic way (in the same sort of way traders place orders in an exchange orderbook), ie usually as opaque as possible to keep the privilege of information to themself as long as possible.

“If 100% of users decide to trick the network, they will trick it and milk it out of coins.”

What is the trick though? If everyone bids high then the trick would actually be to bid low so high bids are far from NB and rewarded less. So it’s tricks upon tricks upon tricks until eventually the optimum trick is to bid the true median. Does that sound plausible?

“If you do not think this [exploitation by bidding high] would happen”

But isn’t there an equally valid opportunity to ‘exploit the exploiters’ on the opposite side by bidding low? The point is maximum reward happens not at the highest bid but at the ‘most balanced’ bid, so even if you can trick your opposition on the high side then you get tricked on the low side then it’s tricks to and fro simultaneously and everyone is second guessing until you realise let’s just try to bid the median. Not to say tricks won’t happen, but the stable equilibrium state is designed to achieve balance, not pushing to the extremes. Can you imagine stability or is it me being idealistic?

“Parsec does not prevent people from coordinating their price bidding actions in any way.”

Coordination is fine. You can coordinate to raise the bid. But you can also coordinate to exclude competitors by lowering the bid. And you can also coordinate to screw the coordinators (by convincing them to bid in a way that gives them very small rewards but you yourself bid for maximum@median rewards). Coordination does not ensure uniform behaviour, but that’s what’s being claimed (everyone will bid high ie uniformity in bidding). So I guess there’s a possibility of confusion of terms here - ‘maximum bid’ as in ‘at the upper boundary of legal bidding’, and ‘maximum bid’ as in ‘the bid that should give the maximum reward which is at the median of the NB’. This could cause confusion! I don’t think it has caused confusion yet but wanted to flag it anyhow…

“How you would stop inflation to not reach 100% of available coins ?”

Good question and not as easy as it sounds. I think firstly the distribution should be scaled according to remaining coins, so 90% remaining means giving a lot of reward, and 10% remaining means give not much reward. But that’s pretty simplistic so I’m open to further exploration. Another thing to consider is to set an absolute upper limit on bids. Obviously a starting point would be no bid more than 2^32. Then iterating further no more than 2^32 / number_of_sections. Then further again no more than 2^32 / number_of_sections / number_of_nodes. And I guess we can iterate further but I’m not so sure how to establish the absolute maximum allowable bid…

“give me some bones to start putting flesh on”

• using measuremnts such as space / latency / bandwidth / node count etc to determine the reward leads to an unworkable incentive algorithm (a bold claim for sure).
  • is there a way to discover the correct reward and storecost from ‘the users’ rather than from ‘the users behaviour as proxied via supply of storage’. Why use storage as the ‘voice’ for rewards and costs?
  • how do you prevent users from saying ‘obviously you should pay us more’?
  • how do you prevent users from saying ‘pay us very little so nobody else can compete’?
  • the main achievement is allowing storage and bandwidth and latency and reliability etc to be managed by the users rather than the network. The network should be a lot more resiliant and able to reward a wide variety of node behaviour rather than only target behaviours around storage (ie we should try to avoid wrapping all behaviour under the blanket of changes-to-storage).

“PA gets us into game theory and nash equilibriums that I think better represent evolving towards more and more adaptive behaviors.”

Agreed. I think the benefit is the clarity of the adaptive behaviours, rather than the number of them. Both reward systems allow vast amount of adaptive behaviour, but the storage-as-a-proxy makes it harder to discover and know you’ve arrived at the beneficial or detrimental region of gameplay. Just my gut feeling on the game theory.

“If the door is left open for collusion, it will happen.”

Can people collude on rfc-0057-style storage-parameters-reward-algorithm? Is that collusion more destructive or less destructive than in the bidding collusion? I don’t have an answer but this is important to ask. It seems hdd manufacturers have a big head start for power in the storage-parameters-algorithm and are ripe for collusion…?! Just trying to work out which algorithm has the least-bad collusion scenario.

“When people realise that if enough vaults join a coordinated group then they can raise their bid prices then there will be one or more APPs written to facilitate this coordination.”

Is this similar to bitcoin where miners join the most popular pool because the reward is the most regular? Because that did happen with deepbit and ghash, and sure enough miners moved away from those pools. If collusion presents an existential risk to the network farmers will act to avoid it. I reckon there is strong historical precedent for collusion being avoided in cryptocurrency, but likewise strong precedent for collusion happening elsewhere and being a problem, so we get into ‘he said she said’ territory I guess.

There are two opposing forces of greed that ideally should balance each other. One is the ‘obvious’ greed which is to keep pumping up the bid to get more reward. The other one is ‘subtle’ greed which is greedy by exclusion, and requires lowering the bid. Subtle greed aims to a) exclude competition by removing inefficient operators and b) exclude the rapid creation of new currency by keeping the reward rate low. So the case for the ‘subtle’ greed is really twofold (but doesn’t mean it will necessarily be the stronger force). I personally think of these two greeds as ‘dumb’ and ‘smart’ greed, but maybe that adds unhelpful emotional bias.

Here’s some separate late-stage hypotheticals to mull over, would be curious to know which you think is most likely:

1. Polarisation happens ah-la trump/brexit and opinions are extreme but also very evenly represented. Almost half the nodes bid the minimum possible and almost half bid the maximum possible. The swing bidders hold all the power and the ‘winning’ opinion gets all the reward, the ‘losing’ opinion gets none. But the winners and losers flip very easily and very often, so the reward ends up pretty even over time. It becomes more like a lottery.

2. The obvious greed continue to push the price up until it’s permanently stuck at the maximum (determined by total sections and percent of unfarmed currency). Bidding below the maximum can only cause loss of reward, and there’s no way to bid above the maximu, so there’s no benefit to bidding below the maximum and it stays stuck there forever.

3. The sensible greed causes a few large operators to dominate farming. When they realise that very few competitors are farming and there’s no reason for further exclusivity, they raise the reward again to get more benefit from their equipment. Other operators start to become viable but they can’t start up instantly. By the time competitors actually start being rewarded the big guys start pushing the reward down again and the competitors never really got started before they’re unviable again. The cycle repeats constantly between a few big farmers.

4. On a single farmer level, consider a farmer that has operated for a long time and has farmed quite a lot of currency, and has decided they’re not able (or willing) to compete with the new farmers. Their equipment is getting old and is nearly unviable and going through another equipment changeover is too much to bear. Should they try to raise the bid so they can maximise the last bit of reward out of their gear, or should they lower the bid to try and increase scarcity? I think it makes most sense to lower their bid aggressively because any new currency they farm will be a relative small portion of their total rewards, so it makes sense to maximise the value of their existing rewards, which means increasing scarcity and thus a low bid.

8 Likes

So lets say 180 out of the 190 nodes in the section are bidding in a coordinated way with “X” amount then why would they get lower rewards?

1 Like
  • new NB arrives which is ‘not X’
  • 180 nodes get very low reward, 10 get lots of reward for being close to NB
  • Some (maybe many) of the 180 colluding nodes see the 10 get lots of reward so defect from the collusion and bid close to NB

That’s the most direct answer I can think of.

But I see what you’re saying… for example, neighbours will now see the colluding section has a very high bid (compared to all other neighbours) so all adjust slightly higher in case that colluding section is the next NB. This then spreads to their neighbours and so has some sort of small-but-rolling effect on the network.

The thing to remember this is also true of the opposite side, the extreme low bid, and there’s good reasons to take that approach too. These two types of collusion-around-the-extremities will hopefully balance at some equilibrium bid amount.

My main doubt is around getting the initial 180 in the first place. To me that’s a very big “if”. Can you give any concrete examples or evidence of this being likely to happen? Not easy I know but wanted to ask anyhow.

6 Likes

All 4 scenarios are possible.

I think that similar result you could get to set algorithm or exact value and let people vote about new one. To me it looks like more hard to trick it.

Anyway I thought that reward will benefit fast vaults and only way how to use your high speed bandwidth is to have plenty of vaults, because one big will takes ages to get nearly full. And low latency does not benefit at all.

2 Likes

I said this already early on:

How you can make this to be handwavy I don’t know. It doesn’t seem like a very generous interpretation.
I say it is a valid argument, and then state that I don’t think it is so simple to do.

The rest of the effort I spent saying that your concerns are not news to us, we were dealing with exactly those questions. Initial estimate was that it is not a trivial game since there are costs involved and people need to be sacrificing short term gains for some time for it to succeed.
And then I said we postponed deeper analysis to part II.

Also here I say basically all that:

I’ve said you have a valid argument, that I think it is more complicated than you make it seem, that we have been thinking about exactly this, and that the deeper analysis was left for part II.

Not sure what more you want.
Not sure why you need to be so confrontational. It’s almost as if you seek to misunderstand my words and seek conflict where there are none.

Is it? I said this:

And yet it doesn’t seem to be OK with you.

So, mind you, what I have been saying is that I don’t think it is so easy as you claim. I have provided the reasons for why:

and

and

and

What more do you want?

I’m sorry I don’t have time to write up part II (or the equivalent content) for you here, and I’m on phone. That is why part I was posted first, so that there would be things to discuss while finishing that part.

Since your concern has been part of the work from the start, and I have tried to communicate this to you, I would say a much wiser way to spend your energy would be to try find a solution for the problems you see, than to repeatedly try to beat in the open doors.
I would think that much more helpful at least, do what you will with that information.
If you want to insist that I don’t address the topic of collusion or consider it an issue or have thought of preventive measures (never claimed to be complete) or provided theory of how those work against it, let’s then just agree to disagree, and move on, like I thought we had done already a couple of posts above?

2 Likes

The target of SafeCoin holders 15% of total supply is low inflation while new farmers would rather big to have option to accumulate more before to farm one SafeCoin will be more difficult. That is why @oetyng use ratio 6:1 for early stage to boost early farmers. And for every new user who wants first farm SafeCoins to use SafeNetwork (The most secure way) is better to get enough SafeCoins fast as possible and curent or future price does not matter for them.

4 Likes

I like it.

Unless I’m misunderstanding, 1% seems small … is there another, less arbitrary, way to go about it?

yes to all! I expect these will be modified/improved as the Network evolves.

love the concept and really would go along way toward democratizing and future proofing the network. Would this allow different groups of nodes to operate on different rules? Diversity is a powerful tool for evolution and possibly would allow the network to adapt to just about anything.

In a generally free-market society I think this would be fine, but we don’t live in such a world. In a place where governments can print and throw their ‘money’ at perceived threats, this should not be allowed for now IMO.

WOW … just about EVERYTHING in the world. Going back to your earlier idea of bidding on the rules of bidding … How about bidding on what and how to bid?

Love where all of this is going. Decreases stagnation, increase democratization and network evolution greatly IMO.

2 Likes

I think that this system can be brilliant but it would need a strong bias towards rewarding the low bidders, that would keep the network competitive and make high bidding collusion very expensive.

Perpetual Auction by farmers is self policing to some degree, so keeping the rewards low should be rewarded, that way raising the bids would be done only when it is reasonable/ necessary to do.

What do you think about this @neo?

3 Likes

Thanks @mav and @oetyng for answering and explaining. I’m still struggling with a) the goals, and b) the scheme.

A generalist comment from my perspective is that this is complex, at least as presented here. Maybe the explanations can be simplified as the ideas become better understood by all, but for now I find it complex and to me, that makes it very difficult to have reasonable discussion about. I think that’s why we are seeing a deal of opinion, that is not really backed up by much as far as I can see. So I sit on the fence! :wink:

Until it can be presented with precision and clarity, we are using ambiguous, imprecise language, unstated / unconscious assumptions, a good dollop of opinion, topped with sprinkles of ego.

No criticism meant of any of that. My intention is to raise awareness of the futility of strong positions here, when an idea is new and fluid, and needs space to grow and evolve.

This is a very interesting idea, and I’ll come to try and understand and explore it.

10 Likes

Imo, this is not an achievement. Rather, it is a fatal flaw/ vulnerability. One could also view the previous farming algorithm as a bidding process, but from driven by the network. The network has an “ask” price based on the farming algorithm, and the farmers can “take it or leave it”. Exodus of farmers tells the network that the reward rate is too low, and it adjusts. The network ask price reflects the “raw truth” of what storage (or bandwidth, compute etc.) really costs.

A hybrid approach to soften the effect of too many farmers leaving unexpectedly with the previous reward algorithm might be to allow the farmers to specify the minimum price/ask they will accept (maybe via some form of PA) before they cut the cord and leave the network.

7 Likes

If we make this dependent on an elders change in a neighboring group, would that incentivize DDoS-ing elders in neighboring groups to speed NBs up and maybe even force an NB from that particular group and thus the biddings from that group?

2 Likes

Not clear to me. Who is exactly making the bid. The node itself, based on some params and maybe ai? Or me as human?

2 Likes

Thanks for keeping an open mind @happybeing. I will try answer your questions when I have more time.

Then to some hopefully very brief OT, sorry everyone for this, it tires me to have to write these things in this topic, but here it comes:

You probably mean well happybeing, and I can see how you also defend the interests of open and collaborative discourse, but even smoothing over and excusing can be helping the less well intentioned (apologies if I completely misunderstood you).
I don’t think there is a basis for the use of the phrase ‘hand waving’, I don’t know why you think it necessary to reinforce that black painting by picking up on that phrase.
The fact that the accusation is slinged repeatedly, and a quite unfriendly tone being used in spite of polite answers to the point, is quite disappointing when it comes from a long time community member and at that a moderator.
I would expect some more discretion from a very grown up person, in keeping discussions a bit further above minimum level.

It’s not a major troll event, but it is unnecessarily close IMO. I would expect more from moderators, in putting in some effort of keeping discussions open and non-toxic, to lead by good example.

I don’t want to spend more time and energy on that kind of meaningless discussion, but the options are to just let them pass or to answer, both of which are bad options IMO, i.e. I feel my hand is forced when even moderators cannot abstain from hovering close to toxicity.

So please all, let’s keep an open mind, a constructive discussion. If you see problems, try beat the problem not the person. Ok? (I think the vast majority is open and constructive here btw.).

I would like to highlight the post from @jlpell where he not only expresses his opinion on potential problems, but also writes a couple of lines of possible solutions from his view. I think that is a good example to follow.

Now, let’s look forward.

3 Likes

Sorry @oetyng, I think we take ‘hand waving’ in different ways, which is why I added the clarification that it was not being used negatively there. I’m happy to withdraw it and leave the rest of my post to explain what I meant by it. I will edit it out now. Just to say that I think ‘hand waving’ is an appropriate form of discussion and so not necessarily a negative term, and I also @neo appeared to use it in a negative way.

2 Likes

Yeah I thought it quite possible I misunderstood you. Don’t bother editing unless you feel it improves your message. This post clarified it.
Thanks

3 Likes

A lot of hard work and thought went into the OP, and for that you and @mav should be commended. I just think the network should be in control of the market of network resources. A hybrid or reversed approach where the network uses your PA strategy to attract/keep farmers from cord cutting is interesting to consider, but it would prevent the network from achieving the lowest possible cost. Farmer’s could collude and lie… They might tell the network that they will leave if the price drops below a certain level, but they really could sustain much lower prices…

4 Likes

This is very interesting. And @mav and @oetyng have, unsurprisingly, put serious thought and research in this proposal.

I wonder whether the classic/initial farming rewards approach can still remain to serve as a framework within which farmers can still have a dynamic say (i.e., present proposal). But without such a dispassionate referee, I worry that the network might be vulnerable to black swan events engendered by human fallibility (read emotions, susceptibility to manipulation, etc.).

So maybe:

• you have the classic dynamic reward set by the network and you can only ask for a +/- x% of that or
  • you have the classic dynamic reward set by the network and you can never ask for a higher reward, but you are free to ask for a lower reward (though not zero/too low to prevent state level actors from driving other farmers off the network)
7 Likes

Just before @oetyng described PAC to me I said this about bidding: “I feel an auction or bidding or ‘user input’ system of economic governance will not be possible, it simply gives too much power to vault operators”

So what changed me enough to post this bidding idea?

A lot of the reason comes from having worked heavily on rfc-0012 simulations. That work was intended to be public but effectively was private because it was too hard for me to communicate what was happening; the nuance and subtlety was extremely important but I felt it was too much to expect others to engage with (maybe if I could communicate it better, but could not).

One of the things I found was the simulation was extremely sensitive to assumptions about behaviour from node operators. How many nodes they’d run. What rate they’d expand at. How often they’d stop their nodes. What were their upgrade strategies. How much risk would they tolerate. How would technology change. There are so many variables and ‘hiding’ them behind a single ‘storage variable’ in the algorithm doesn’t make the behaviour go away or simplified, it makes it harder to reason about and harder to investigate or account for. A fair question at this stage would be ‘was the difficulties with behaviour only a problem in the simulation or also a problem that would exist in reality’? I don’t know.

But the result of this history is when I see comments saying bidding allows too much behaviour, I think great because that behaviour already existed and now it’s made clear rather than opaque.

Yes I agree, this is complex. But what seems to be missing (understandably) is how complex storage-as-a-proxy type algorithms are. It seems simple but when you really get into it the algorithm is very far from simple. So I feel good when the bidding is seen as ‘complex’ because that’s the right frame of mind to be in. It’s tempting to think storage-as-a-proxy is simple but it’s not.

How does the network set this? What does the network care about? Who imbues the network with those cares? How does the network know that one set of cares gives a ‘better’ result than a different set of cares? It can’t do A/B testing so it just has to hope. I think this eventually boils down to users are still setting the value, but rather than doing so explicitly they’re forced into a join/abstain dualism. Maybe some of the abstain users would have taken part if they’d been allowed to voice their true opinion rather than just ‘no’.

Yeah this is a good way to look at it, as a fight that makes the network stronger.

I can see the appeal of saying ‘bring more storage and bandwidth otherwise gtfo’. But does the bid mechanism affect this compared to storage-as-proxy? I don’t think so. You still need to contribute resources before you can bid. The resources are the entry ticket but the bid is the fight.

In bitcoin the mining hardware is the ticket but the blocks (specifically the choice of transactions in the block) is the fight.

I’m suggesting not making the resources the fight. They should be the ticket, but not the fight.

Yes, but cooperation happens for both types of greed (more reward vs more exclusion) so let’s try to balance them. Storage-as-a-proxy lets those with the most resources get both more reward and more exclusion. Bidding pits the two against each other so should balance out better.

Bidding allows you to cooperate on one type of greed but not the other. Storage-as-proxy allows you to cooperate on both greeds simultaneously.

I haven’t seen any evidence yet that it’s easier to trick the network with bids than with storage.

With storage, behaviour is proxied through supply of storage so it’s like trying to speak English when in Russia. Some amount of your message gets through but it’s not as good as speaking the full language. Using storage to decide everything is a bit like having unknown and unintended tricks built in to the algorithm, like how some words in English will make sense in Russia but most will not and you don’t know which words will make sense or how those words will be received.

Bids are a step toward a ‘full language’ of what behaviour is happening and desired. Storage is only one part of that, so to filter all other behaviour and values through the expression-medium of storage is going to create friction and poor results.

It’s tempting to say, ok storage doesn’t capture it so lets use an algorithm with storage plus bandwidth plus this plus that etc. Now we’ve started trying to make a ‘god algorithm’ and we have tough questions about what it looks like and whether it can be updated and if so how should it be updated etc. and it starts to look a lot like voting or bids anyway…

No it’s the opposite. People still make all these decisions, but they have to express them through a simplified model (eg storage). So we end up trying to reason about complex behaviour as expressed through an inappropriate medium.

Good point. We’d probably want to have a separate event rather than piggyback on BLS updates. The exact mechanism makes for a good discussion, @oetyng and I have not yet come to any solid ground on it yet.

Either one. The node will actually submit the bid to the section, but how the node decides which value to submit is entirely up to the operator. Maybe it’s hardcoded by the operator and updated manually every so often. Maybe it uses some smarts to decide a new value every so often.

In reality bids will most likely be made in two steps: 1) the operator does some initial manual configuration to allow the node to calculate the best bid for the desires of the operator 2) the node automatically calculates and updates the bid as required based on the configuration.

I like this way of thinking about it. How can we get the lowest possible cost and who decides it?

Do bids reduce the ability to achieve a low cost compared to storage-as-a-proxy?

I come across here as very pro-bid and anti-storage, but I’m really not sure yet.

I would ask the people leaning toward storage as the algorithm: why does storage ‘simplify’ behaviour rather than ‘hide’ complex behaviour behind a simple-looking layer?

20 Likes

Very well formulated @mav.

Just wanted to add that this applies for me as well. It goes with it that to really dig deep and make progress, you need to stay open, flexible and keep looking for solutions as if you thought they existed - when in reality you many times do not know if they exist.

9 Likes

I would assume something like this would happen … but in markets, that’s not the end of the chain. The next iteration of software would be a version that pretends to act like the previous version for a time, but then reverts to a low price and hijacks all the rewards. Rinse, wash, repeat. Thus keeping the bids within a range.

It would be important however to allow for rapid changes in bids and for those bidders to get rewarded for going lower in price. IDK if the current proposal does this or not, but should be doable.

4 Likes