Peer-to-peer 5G

I have heard that the deployment of the 5G infrastructure will be very expensive. But is that really true? Sure, a huge number of 5G transceivers are needed; however the price/performance of technology like that can easily improve in magnitudes within years these days.

And 5G needs to be connected to the internet, probably not because of technical reasons but because of existing services. I was thinking that maybe 5G can be used as a peer-to-peer network outside of the internet. Here is an article about what seems to be a similar idea:

"The First True Peer-to-Peer (p2p) network: The Mobile Mesh

… The problem is while phones are becoming more affordable and more people have them, access to the Internet is not keeping up. The reason for this is because infrastructure is expensive. Many people have the mentality that 5G will save us all, and will be a magical fix for all of our coverage, capacity and limited bandwidth problems. [However, the economics of deploying 5G still aren’t figured out, and it will likely be a slow roll-out in very targeted locations where it does financially make sense." - Full article: https://medium.com/@compscidr/the-first-true-peer-to-peer-p2p-network-the-mobile-mesh-cbc2e77e51bf

It’s true that in sparsely populated areas things like fiber connections are needed, but I read that governments will be subsidizing installation of 5G in areas like that. And in densely populated areas it seems to me that incredibly inexpensive and tiny 5G transceivers without connection to the internet can be installed in all kinds of places, such as in light bulbs and in other places and devices plugged into to the electric grid (or solar powered etc).

In such scenario 5G will start as expensive fast internet and mobile phone connections, and on top of that, a separate layer of peer-to-peer 5G mesh network will emerge in a decentralized way without cost to use it except for the electricity needed to run all of the small 5G transceivers.

1 Like

And these will be available from where?

It seems your post relies on this being available and cheap.

Why was it not done with 4G, which was just as possible as with 5G. The only difference would be the bandwidth.

2 issues

• cost, it is not cheap.
  • licencing of the radio spectrum. You cannot just use the 5G spectrum for your own 5G network. If you don’t know why then ask.

:stuck_out_tongue:

The 4G cell towers are YUGE. And sparsely distributed. The 5G units will be placed much more densely, and sure in the beginning, very expensive. But my guess is that the 5G units will become very inexpensive to manufacture after a while. And then that opens up the possibility for a peer-to-peer 5G mesh network on top of internet. And of course, with the SAFE network running on it. :sunglasses:

The cost is not necessarily going to be cheap enough for people to just buy for their mesh. Who pays?

Also you did not answer the greater question of how you will get licences for the 5G bands in the radio spectrum. If you do not know why you need them then either look it up or ask. There are great reasons, like not being charged with a crime, not interfering with legit services.

The idea is that governments and big tech corporations will invest in a huge 5G mesh network to create a foundation for the Internet of Things (IoT). Not the telecom companies though, because they want to keep their siloed solutions.

You still did not address the elephant in the corner and that is radio spectrum allocation Until you do then its pie in the sky stuff and never will work.

Who cares the idea, the radio spectrum is heavily regulated since its a very limited resource and if you want to run a mesh on 5G (with your own equipment) then you have to obtain the rights to a portion of the spectrum.

If you do not then you will be found and charged. Happens regularly to people with mobile phone jammers.

WiFi for instance uses a portion of the spectrum that has been allocated to allow many systems. And one happens to be WiFi. And if you look it up there are projects using WiFi on phones to form mesh networks. One was/is to use phones in a WiFi Mesh in emergencies where the communication infrastructure has collapsed allowing people and emergency workers to communicate.

It’s not the telecom companies themselves who allocate radio frequency spectra I think. It’s usually governments. And as I wrote, governments and big tech corporations want to use 5G for IoT without having the telecom companies as middlemen.

True.

But like in Australia countries sell rights to use the 5G spectrum. In Australia its done by an auction system. They have already been allocated and sold for a HUGE amount to each of the companies which I am pretty sure they were the telecommunication companies.

So no you are not able to get any 5G spectrum to use.

Sorry again to burst the bubble here. The telecommunication companies are the very ones who will be supply the 5G bandwidth for IoT. (Do a search on Telstra and IoT)

I know it sucks but unfortunately the government wants top dollar for every Hz of the spectrum they can. WiFi is in a band used for multiple purposes and not one that companies don’t want because its too noisy before any one started using it.

We will see. My guess is that governments in general want the best information infrastructure for their countries. 4G is basically just suitable for mobile devices and telecom companies, not so with 5G as I understand it. So it’s a new situation now. It’s possible, and I claim desirable, for countries to have 5G without telecom companies as middlemen (they can be made redundant with 5G).

Small companies and individuals will be unable to install 5G transceivers, unless those devices follow the specifications of the mesh network. For example, I suspect governments want to be able to snoop on all transceivers.