Pause on the international Safe sites and forums

Hello friends,

life is an interesting thing, sometimes you have to take a step back to be able to take 2 steps forward.

Although the Safe network is closer than ever with regular test networks from the community with great regret, I have to stop the international sites and forums that I maintain because I can no longer afford them.

Inflation is having a bad effect on business in Bulgaria and a number of my clients are reducing their costs, which is affecting my income and unfortunately I can no longer afford $ 70 a month for the sites hosting.

I hope the crypto bear market and the whole bad world macro situation doesn’t last long and I can afford to pick them up again, because I believe it’s valuable to have information about Safe in different languages.

For now, I will keep only the Bulgarian site and forum.

Privacy. Security. Freedom

27 Likes

Sorry to hear of this @Dimitar as you do great stuff there. BGF is still in flux, but this seems like a no brainer to me, although I don’t have a vote. Let’s see though, I suspect we can try and sort out even a short term thing here. Let me start a wee internal convo.

22 Likes

If we have the backups for the sites, I can setup a VPS and host it myself.

9 Likes

Is @AJ_MS a new team member? :thinking:

3 Likes

Yes, that’s Andrew, head of finance and fintech (not new but in house for last few months). He is looking to help @Dimitar in some way :muscle:

15 Likes

Kept him quiet :joy: welcome to the community Andrew :ninja:

1 Like

It was announced in an update. January?

7 Likes

Yeah think your right just looked at his profile and he joined June 5th so thought he might be new. Nothing passes you mark like maidsafes own lamda :joy:

8 Likes

I’ve forgotten more than I ever knew. :older_man:

9 Likes

I just sent you 50BAT tokens @Dimitar … but I don’t have much BAT, so is there an ethereum donation address somewhere?

Thanks for everything you do here.

8 Likes

Thank you! :thankyou:

I am currently talking to @AJ_MS to agree on how to act.

12 Likes

We have drawn a way forward! Many thanks to MaidSafe and @dirvine for their support! :love:

16 Likes

The giver thanks the people he helps, typical @Dimitar in every way :wink: Right back at ye, thank you so much for all your work, patience and brutal honesty (even when I disagree with you, smashing stuff).

20 Likes

What websites cost $70 a month, that seems high

Is it like a forum? There are free versions available on wix

Or maybe make a discord server, I could help.

Can you show me what sites we are talking about and I’m sure we can get the cost down, hopefully all the way ($0)

2 Likes

He’s paying for hosting several instances of Discourse forum, not simple web hosting.

3 Likes

Yeah discord channels would make more sense I think, or something similar then

Channels for each language, on a single MAID server chat

2 Likes

International sites are copies of the official site and are made with React Static. Can you look at the github dimitar83 · GitHub and say if they can be run on one droplet?

Currently every site uses 1vcpu-1gb DigitalOcean droplet.

The forums are also on separate droplets, but there the minimum requirements are higher because of Discourse - when I made them 2 years ago my goal was to have clear and orderly information for each language - my personal opinion is that a forum is more suitable for this goal.

In principle, we can make separate international sub-categories in this forum and hide them from being seen directly from the homepage. Here is a discussion on this option:

5 Likes

That’s interesting. Yeah maybe they can develop that feature

For now though I’m more than happy to help set up a discord server if we don’t have it yet. It’s a great app

Could I do that? Don’t want to make any moves without maidsafe or someone saying ok, so it doesn’t appear I’m doing anything for them myself.

I can make anyone else mods with full control

Happy Father’s Day by the way!

2 Likes

We have a discord Safe server:

6 Likes

Oh nice I’ll join right now

1 Like