Overcoming overcharging telecoms with SAFE?

I’m sticking this in the safecoin category because this topic got me thinking about how farming and data deduplication might affect internet usage for those with data caps. I was reading an article on how telcos are cutting people off due to needing to be home and use the net more thanks to social distancing and how data caps are required to deal with information bottlenecks due to infrastructure not being able to keep up with demand over large distances. Basically in cities data caps can be removed because there are large populations densely packed in a small area. But in rural areas you have small populations spread out over large areas utilizing information data hubs that can’t handle the data load. Enter the SAFE network. Could the decentralized nature of the SAFE network solve this problem thereby allowing people to upload and download data along lateral networks thanks to things like deduplication etc. Or will the requirement of farming constantly drive up the cost of hosting a node and using the network?

PS I will post the link in a bit but my phone is being annoying at the moment and won’t let me paste the link.

Not really, you would still be using the same pipe to reach the SAFE network. I think you are talking about mesh networking. There are other topics about it on the forum. SAFE is just an overlay network.

Note that farming isn’t a requirement to use the network, and in the situation you describe of having limited bandwidth farming would not be a good fit.

Maybe you could get some data from peers on your LAN. Particularly for your personal files, there is the idea of having a private local SAFE network for fast access to your frequently accessed data, with the actual SAFE network being used behind that for resilient data storage and access to public files.

3 Likes

Well if not then this could be a real problem to get the SAFE network adopted in rural areas as that’s where the pinch by telecoms largely is. That’s one of the reasons I moved. Faster internet, better dating potential and hopefully better job prospects. One or two out of 3 isn’t bad I suppose. But in all seriousness internet in rural areas under telecom monopolies is harsh. And given SAFEs restrictions I’m not even sure the network would even function there and if it did the data caps could be really problematic for maintaining a node. No you don’t need to farm safecoin to browse the network but you do if you want to upload and use the network.

There will be alternatives, like buying some Safecoin, using a faucet, getting some from friends & family, etc.

Keep an eye on the Starlink project for some highly competitive internet service

Buying safecoin could and probably will get expensive fast, especially for low income people. And getting safecoin from friends and family doesn’t make sense if your friends and family live in the same community and are in the same digital situation as you are. This would only work if you had friends and family donating safecoin from outside the bottlenecked community and that’s hardly a sustainable long term solution.

1 Like

But if the price goes up then there will be more farmers, which makes the nominal price to upload go down.

But also SAFE-network might not reach every part of the world at once, but in the medium to long run there should be a good probability, with advancements in tech, infrastructure and so on.

2 Likes

I’m fairly confident the SAFE network will reach Canada which is where I live and was the original article concerning telecoms was referring to. Yes the SAFE network will be available in rural Canada and probably other such areas where there are large areas to cover with low population density. I’d imagine there are some small towns and rural areas in the U.S. like that as well that probably have the same problem. We’re not talking about some random village in a 3rd world country here. We are talking about rural communities in 1st world countries that do not get the same standard of internet access as those in larger population density areas.

And while there may be advances in technologies (which is debatable) the question of whether they will be cheap enough for these communities to afford and/or if there will be enough available financial and political pressure for various telecom companies to upgrade infrastructure is another question entirely.

Also can the SAFE network determine the local demand for safecoin vs the global demand for safecoin? That is while globally where high speed internet may be more prevalent safecoin may be easier to farm and farmers may charge less. Whereas locally in a community if there are data caps farmers would value the safecoin they farm much more highly and drop out sooner if the network didn’t reward them adequately. Can the network distinguish between the two communities?

I have a hard time visioning people in rural Canada, US won’t affored to upload data, some data.

Data caps is a problem and living in rural areas is a problem even with todays internet and might ,might not, change in the future. But I think it will be better in the future. But using infrastructure internet, roads, water and other infrastructre is an disadvantage if you live in rural areas. I don’t think it is a problem for SAFE to solve but a general problem for communities, local goverments and so on.

3 Likes

Yes we have to acknowledge that no matter how wonderful we imagine the SAFE network will be, it can only solve a fairly small subset of the problems we face now or in the future.

3 Likes