Other Safe Networks

https://twitter.com/thesafenetwork

http://safenetworksolutions.com/

1 Like

Yeahā€¦ Iā€™m finding it tricky referring to the network as ā€˜The Safe Networkā€™ :expressionless:

Not sure why - except maybe momentum perhaps. Maybe itā€™ll grow on me over time. I know there was talk of referring to it as SAFEnet but arguments against that due to trademark infringement or something to that effect. I miss calling it (inaccurately) maidsafe.

Thereā€™s only one SAFE Network :wink:

6 Likes

There can be only oneā€¦ :wink:

definitely keep maidsafe.org;

still typing that one;

1 Like

found this

SAFE, the lobby group representing people brought together by their unfair treatment at the hands of banks.

Read more: Cash threat to bank protest group SAFE | This is Money

sounds like they achieved a lot with their groupā€¦SAFE - Struggle Against Financial Exploitation

1 Like

Yeah, me either. Btw, what happened? Relocated server to some new datacenter?

@Leon: We are still on the same server. Only the domain name was changed :smile: .

See: Closed Poll: To Move or Not to Move

1 Like

Thereā€™s bound to be some collision in naming, unless we stay with MaidSafe, which isnā€™t a great option for broad acceptance.

The point is that our SAFE Network is not at all the same as any of the other projects, so wonā€™t be confused, and it will have almost universal application in the long run, as opposed to all the others which are more special interest. Theyā€™ll just have to move over.

1 Like

I think itā€™s interesting to note that ā€œSafenetā€ is a billion dollar supplier of encryption technology to the American Govt. It has now been renamed ā€œSafenet Government Solutionsā€. For various reasons, I would definitely not call the Network anything like ā€œThe Safe Networkā€, which will undoubtedly be shortened to ā€œSafenetā€ by users.
I wouldnā€™t want to attract the legal attention or pick a fight one cannot afford to win, especially with such an entity and itā€™s connections. It will also be confused with the other company, which is anti-thetical to everything Maidsafe is about really.
Iā€™s personally drop the ā€œSafeā€ and ā€œNetworkā€ combo completely. :smile:

and just call it ā€œThe Networkā€ :slight_smile:

Lolā€¦I changed my wording. :smile:

SAFE and nothing else.

Yes, I was thinking that tooā€¦or if David comes through with a mesh plan, then as Mesh is synonymous with both ā€œNetā€ and ā€œWebā€, yet distinguishes the type of Network from the ā€œOld webā€ and conveys the idea of de-centralisation; then Iā€™d suggest ā€œSafe Meshā€. :smile: TBH I think Safe ā€¦whatever, will just become abbreviated to just Safe anyway, which is better than it being abbreviated to SafeNet I think.

2 Likes

It will help somewhat if we really are consistent with the capsā€“SAFE. (Anybody for S.A.F.E.? :wink: )

Works for me :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

:wink: You are all soo pre-SAFE with your old internet web siteā€¦ :wink:

Are we there yet?

Quantum SAFE Mesh

1 Like

I actually contacted the owner of http://safenetwork.org (S.A.F.E. Network) a month ago, because their non-profit organization didnā€™t seem active anymore (website not updated since January 2013).

At first, they told me:

We appreciate your inquiry but we are considering re opening the non profit in the near future

I didnā€™t reply to them, but then, about 10 days ago, they sent me another email:

Hi, we have decided not to reopen our corporation. As a result, we have no further need for this domain name. However we have also in our research learned it is valued at between $5000.00, partly because it is 16 years old. If you or your organization would like to make an offer feel free to contact us. We have some major expenses attached to closing down our organization and need to recoup what we can.

When I try to explain them the SAFE Network, they donā€™t seem to care. Anyways, I am pretty happy with safenetwork.io, so I will not pursue this further. But I thought I would let everyone know in case one of you was planning to contact them.

As for the other domains, I see them as being quite different and I can hardly imagine that they would create confusion. The one with the .org.uk domain (Safe Network) makes it clear that itā€™s intended for an organization in the UK, not a technology. The other one (Safe Network Solutions) makes it clear that itā€™s a business, not a technology.

Plus, like @chrisfostertv pointed out, we have our own unique way to write it: SAFE Network :smiley:

1 Like

I think you should offer him $2000 for the domain. Heā€™ll most likely accept it having expenses on the line.

Itā€™s not necessary to spend money