OnionShare: share files on the Onion network

OnionShare lets you securely and anonymously share files of any size. It works by starting a web server, making it accessible as a Tor hidden service, and generating an unguessable URL to access and download the files. It doesn’t require setting up a server on the internet somewhere or using a third party filesharing service. You host the file on your own computer and use a Tor hidden service to make it temporarily accessible over the internet. The other user just needs to use Tor Browser to download the file from you.

5 Likes

I’ve always thought HS’s could be extended into a hidden p2p network. A slower anonymous limewire equivalent with site hosting and many more features. We need more manpower so to speak.

1 Like

Yeah, currently it’s about 50 KB/s for file download.

https://metrics.torproject.org/torperf.html

Not bad unless people download latest HD movies which I’m sure most people don’t do (it seems most people on this forum use P2P to download short indie movies and tip the authors).

1 Like

I heard tor was not designed for file sharing as it puts alot of strain on the network. Still a neat project.

2 Likes

Well if you want to download Star Wars VII then Tor wouldn’t be a good choice. But if you want to share some documents without using Gmail or Dropbox, it’s a decent choice, especially since there’s a messenger as well so the portfolio of apps is getting richer and more things can be done over the network.

(Tor may be a good approach for movie downloads in the US where telcos watch their subscribers; Demonsaw is probably a better idea for the US, though, because with it you may be able to download something before the holidays are over)

2 Likes

Would be better use demonsaw for this, tor is not suited

http://demonsaw.com/

Under the right guidance, demonsaw can become the primer p2p network everyone will turn to. For now not so much IMHO.

I complete understand and agree. The relevant blog post has been on the Tor website for quite awhile.
Though if users of the proposed onionshare extension/fork were by default set to be middle relays for both the network and the onionshare fork, it could be a significant boon for the Tor network. Hidden services would also become more responsive.