Omnicore wallet - the most secure wallet for your Maidsafecoins

Thought the most secure way is to store his Maidsafecoins on a (bitcoin)paper wallet. I generated mine with the bitaddress.org script from github offline.

3 Likes

Yes, there do seem to be a few compatibility problems with the various wallets, drehb. I bought the Ledger basically to have an ultra secure place for my bitcoins, ether and bitcoin cash. As far as I can see, the Ledger wallet is compatible with about two dozen altcurrencies. Anyway, Iā€™ll study Runswickā€™s explanation + comments this evening. Thanks for the link! Iā€™ll also check out bitaddress.org, thanks for that, Aquaphobia!

1 Like

Can you just use the Omniwallet, transfer you Maids into an address, backup the wallet (store the backup safely somewhere), and then remove the address from the OmniWallet?

You can then import the backup when you want to transfer your Maids.

Or is this not that secure?

1 Like

Assuming you use Ubuntu Linux, in your ā€œhomeā€ directory you should have a folder called ā€œ.bitcoinā€ in there should be a file called ā€œwallet.datā€, where all your addresses are stored.
You can copy that file, encrypt the copy, and then store it on a backup service of your choice. You can also encrypt the wallet on your local system through the ā€œsettingsā€ menu.

The private keys are encrypted by default I believe so encrypting the wallet you are using might be overkill, but if you rarely plan to move coins, why not?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

do you have to have held your coins in an address generated by this Omnicore wallet to be able to sign offline?

if I put my MAID in an address that was generated by a regular BTC generator, will it be impossible for me to sign offline?

(jeez ethereum is better btw :stuck_out_tongue: )

$5 btc for a definitive answer on this within the hour :slight_smile:

looks like Iā€™m completely SOL. Omni wallet has absolutely no way to do this, upon further research. Only ERC20. This seriously is not ok :angry: :anger: Only omnicore-generated wallets can do this, and who has time or bandwidth for 120GB setup every single time. Not the masses. Omni RIP please and ERC20+MEW+Trezor is the full-featured future.

Could you tell us how to use the Omnicore wallet to receive and send Maidsafecoins? For example, Bitcoin-based USDT (Omni Tether)? I only see Bitcoin address in the Omnicore wallet, and I donā€™t know if I can send USDT to a Bitcoin address. I believe that my USDT will disappear if I send them to there, will not they?

The omni protocol uses the Bitcoin blockchain. The token transactions are encoded on tiny BTC transactions. So the omni(wallet) addresses are BTC addresses.

The only warning is that if you use omniwallet.org do not use segwit addresses. The online wallet only generates non-segwit addresses from the private key and cannot work (at the moment) with segwit private keys/addresses

2 Likes

Thanks, Neo, so I can just send my Bitcoin-based USDT (Tether) to the Bitcoin address and the USDT will show up together with my Bitcoin in my Omni core wallet? I always store my Bitcoin in Ledger Nano S Legacy. I do not use segwit.

1 Like

As long as the private key imports into omniwallet and gives you the same address in omni-wallet. The Ledger Nano S cannot operate on omni protocol tokens can it??

AND always do a test run with a very small amount to start with to make sure you have the process right and it works.

It cannot do Omni at this time.

2 Likes

Thanks, Rob, No, Ledger Nano S cannot operate on Omni protocol tokens. ERC20 only. But you know all Binance USDT are Omni. Maybe, I will trade at Bitfinex, they have ERC20 USDT.

IMO, even though Ledger cannot see USDT tokens in the wallet, they would still be there as they are attached to the BTC address in the blockchain itself - youā€™d just have to send them back into OMNI wallet to see/access them. Not convenient, but a secure solution. True of MAID tokens too.

Also, I think the new TUSD (as opposed to the old USDT) is an ERC20. So if just looking for a pegged USD token thatā€™s ERC20 compatible then TUSD may be the way to go.