NRS Pre-Registration and Sale

Whoa! You’re thinking like a city slicker there. You may have QR-codes and smartphones all over the place, but folks around here put up a piece of paper on an old barn wall. “haralds_fisk.fi” is what people use and remember. Not everybody goes around scanning QR-codes. Maybe I sound like a bit of a Luddite to some of y’all. I just realized many of my posts contain “I dislike this” and “I dislike that”. However, the fact remains, I don’t like scanning QR-codes. No telling what that thing does to my phone, even if I happen to have one with me. Like @Jimcollinson said, communicability is the issue here, and people communicate differently in different parts of the world.

EDIT: @TylerAbeoJordan I just gave somebody a ride off this island, and I did spot one (small) QR-code on the old barn wall by the dock. :wink:

I’d like to point out that reserving all words in even the one hundred most used languages is problematic. Just as an example, “traktion” would not be fine to claim, as it is a word in Swedish.

8 Likes

So take that and search for it (when we have search!) … and get the site probably. A QR code if taken from a trusted source (e.g. haralds fish ad) should be just fine. I have a small business in southern Tasmania (more or less the sticks, not the city) and we use a QR code for our website in a laminated ad we have at local markets. It is still a ‘new’ technique, but everything starts as “new”.

1 Like

But that requires one to search, i.e. use an intermediary, and then you probably get to the site you want. I want to go directly to where I want, and get there with certainty.

1 Like

Yes, that’s correct, the NRS name resolution is a client side function, in the API, so it’s just a matter of apps using some other resolver function to translate from a name/string to a XOR-URL, that’s all it does.

8 Likes

Sorry, that was a quick reply and didn’t think it through. However, it has been asserted below that NRS should be transferable:

2 Likes

I don’t think it would require search, not in the Google sense of it anyway.

And by intermediary, this doesn’t mean a centralised entity either. It could be a decentralised
community/socially derived priority list.

E.g. most of my friends or people I trust have this URL marked in their recommended sites list, therefore that will bubble to the top, and is most likely to be what I am after (and this could be done right in the address bar, perhaps)

4 Likes

You will also have multisig for NRS soon, which should avoid this sort of issue. One owner could be from an independent body, etc.

Incidently, multisig also paves the way to NRS rentals, which could help to solve the ‘forever’ issue people worry about. Tbh though, the chances of any big company forgetting to renew their DNS name is pretty slim anyway.

“Sascha” (Sasha, Саша) is probably the most common Russian nickname ever, so I think it’s kind of fun I have it registered on the current test network. In any case, preregistering dictionary words would not be enough. A whole bunch of proper names would have to be preregistered too if we want to be “fair” in some sense. Not sure this contributes anything to the discussion. Just saying.

1 Like

ENS has expiry now. If the owner doesn’t pay the renewal fee the name is up for grabs again. It also has the ability to claim names based on clearnet domain ownership. And auctioning of names.
My favored solution is to use plug-ins. Then we could have one that looks up on ENS, one that uses pet names, etc. I feel squatting will render NRS useless without auctioning, and that it isn’t a critical feature anyway.

1 Like

We cannot have “Names” expire because safe is the perpetual Web and to expire names is to break that

1 Like

Well - the data is there and won’t expire - if you don’t use the permalink (xor) it’s your own fault…

That’s like complaining that the guy sitting on your right side suddenly decided to use a different place at brunch… And now your description ‘the guy sitting on my right side’ is not accurate anymore…

expiring/petname addresses ofc have to be seen as temporary/local links…

Links become broken.

3 Likes

yes thats true or point to a different location.

but is that something that cannot happen if an owner doesn’t use a specific version of the link [edit: link == version of the append only data] +changes the website content?

[and just like the need of specifying the version in the current process one could just add the time to a link and then expiration wouldn’t be a problem anymore again i guess]

XOR-URLs don’t, so use them for linking

2 Likes

You can do the same with DNS - it is just resolving names to IP addresses. Does anyone use anything else? Almost never (short of nerds with host files).

People do not want this choice, imo. They want a name, that gets them consistently to where they want and expect, just like a street address.

It needs to be easy to remember, easy to share, easy to write down.

It also needs to go where you expect. If I put in Google, I want it to go to Google, not some squatter/impersonator. Even more so for my bank.

We have to concentrate on what is usable here. We also have to be aware that many natural monopolies exist (physical location, for example). How we cope with these is a challenge, but cope we must.

4 Likes

we could (client side) expire names.

2019 is the birth of the network - so in 2019 ‘neo’ resolves to hash(neo)
2020 resolves to hash(neo)+1
2021 to hash(neo)+2

…when nobody reserved the 2021-version the fallback is to revert time until we are successful …
now the question is how to prevent people from ‘pre-registering future versions’, how to (maybe) give the current owner the right of preemption and how to price those things if they should not be as cheap as regular data points …

+we need to specify the time again for having future-proof links [but since the browser could just append the date in the address-bar automatically one would have the time included by default when copying … so that would be a rather simple issue i would think]

What I don’t like about several proposals here is that they tend to try to solve it with imposing a high price to obtaining an NRS name, either directly by putting a high price or with auctioning, we’ve tried this before in our society and we know that doesn’t solve anything and make things unfair by excluding people, so it’s said “let’s stop scammer/fraudsters/squatters by putting a high price”, which only means “let’s allow only rich scammers/fraudsters/squatters”. We should try to find some other solution which doesn’t exclude non-rich users

14 Likes

pet-names 1 2

[and if you want to be sure you share the right ‘neo-address’ and learned about it by me you just share safe://neo@riddim]

2 Likes

I think it’s feasible that some form of pet name system could be built alongside NRS, and they wouldn’t be mutually exclusive.

But NRS is a minimum usable solution we’ll need to roll with for launch, because of the communicability requirements of addresses and SafeIDs I’ve described earlier.

I personally don’t think auctioning off, blocking, holding etc. a list of names is desirable really. It all feels a bit of a centralising force IMHO, and against the spirit of the network.

9 Likes

same feeling here

but still maidsafe could register safe on start and could be a reliable registrar where people can then visit (safe://)google@safe and be fairly sure that some form of proof has been submitted to maidsafe and a fee paid to gain this address