Not user friendly?

In this video, @dirvine already explains how self-encryption works. It also shows that you’re data-atlas and all the other personal data like private keys etc. are self-encrypted as well. So you’re files are encrypted using self-encryption, really not recognizable because the hashes of the chunk A are used to encrypt chunk B etc. Another layer of protection is done by doing a XOR-trick where you really cannot say anything about that data at all. So here you have a data-atlas of all the chunks and their names, your DHT-routing list and private keys etc. And this file, you’re personal file is going through the process of self-encryption as well. So really nobody has a clue on what that data is. When you log in to the SAFEnet, you’re username and pin will be used to get the file for you. The filename is based on your username and PIN. So your not logging “in” to the network, you just ask for you personal file! And guess what, the moment you get the chunks to your computer, you need your password to decrypt it. And when you go offline, this personal file is going to self-encryption again. But when only one bit is changed (and it will) all the chunks will be completely different from the time before.

Start at 5:30 min. And you’ll get a very good explanation about how the self-encryption, datamap and data-atlas work. I think it’s really brilliant.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s seemed like that for a long time to me.

@seneca has hit on the “invisible” killer feature I think. As well as the technical advantages, Safecoin will be adopted by people, hopefully millions and more, who just want to use the network’s other functions: cheap secure storage, secure anonymous sharing and communications, reward based publishing & creativity platform… plus zillions of apps.

When you have a lot of ordinary folk with money in a really low friction easy to use wallet ecosystem, on top of a completely open platform with a level playing field… you have a recipe for mass adoption. IMO :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@dirvine Just a side note. It´d be great if the instruction videos had subtitles. Shona´s accent is beautiful, but it can be a bit difficult to hear what is being said, at least for someone like me who doesn´t have English as a native language, and who is not used to hear this accent.

adding this as a reminder, cool video with @viv

2 Likes

Would be great to read this report, because quite frankly, I have a hard time believing it :stuck_out_tongue: Any pointers as to where I can read about this?

You need to dig on the net for ages I am afraid, it took us a huge amount of digging. Many companies are now selling dedup software so a lot is hidden behind paywalls and register to get report pages. I am not sure, perhaps @nicklambert still has a copy from way back.

4 Likes

After a bit of digging I found it: http://www.researchgate.net/publication/236011831_A_Storage-Centric_Analysis_of_MapReduce_Workloads_File_Popularity_Temporal_Locality_and_Arrival_Patterns/links/0c96051ffb6dff29fc000000

The research analysed file access patterns of two multi-petabyte Hadoop clusters at Yahoo! across several dimensions, with a focus on popularity, temporal locality and arrival patterns. The study analysed two 6-month traces, which together contain more than 940 million creates and 12 billion file open events.

The study found that files are very short lived: 90% of the file deletions occur on files that are 22.27mins − 1.25 hours old.

Other interesting data:

Workloads are dominated by high file churn (high rate of creates/deletes) which leads to 80%− 90% of files being accessed at most 10 times during a 6-month period. There is a small percentage of highly popular files: less than 3% of the files account for 34% − 39% of the accesses (opens).
Young files account for a high percentage of accesses, but a small percentage of bytes stored. For example, 79% − 85% of accesses target files that are most one day old, yet add up to 1.87% − 2.21% of the bytes stored.

9 Likes