Newbie here. I can't even install it and get it running

I downloaded both the demo app and the launcher. Installed both. Entered my secret and pw…and then it said I needed to download the demo app. Which I’ve already done. And installed it.

If I’ve installed both, I shouldn’t have to do anything else. It should just work. It doesn’t. You can draw your own conclusions as to how a newbie feels who WAS excited about this project.

1 Like

Did you try opening the Demo App? :slight_smile:

You should see a prompt to authorize the demo app after you open it:

4 Likes

Hi cmbconcretefire welcome,

Did you check out the SAFE Browser?

1 Like

I have deleted a number of posts for violating the forum guidelines (attacking others and discussing moderation outside of the #meta category)

Demeaning posts and ones that are attacking another poster’s abilities or reasons to post are ALWAYS deleted.

It is always possible to express views WITHOUT demeaning or putting down other posters who are asking genuine questions or expressing genuine views.

Please post on topic and realise that the forum guidelines are the basis for any post deleted.

Also questions on moderation should always be addressed to @moderators in a PM OR if appropriate in a topic in the #meta category. Not in topics in other categories.

8 Likes

Thank you. No I don’t believe I checked out the SAFE Browser but I did follow the directions for setting up my usual browser via the proxy setting.

So now that I was able to create a webpage on the SN, I guess my question would be if I continue to edit it and refine it, is it all for nothing because all of this is just a test right now? Or in the future, will my work carry over into any updates to the SN? Hope that makes sense.

2 Likes

You could store a copy of your website in another location and reupload it during the next test. As explained in the announcement of the alpha release, at some point the Alpha 1 network will be stopped and all data will be lost. We’ll announce this in advance.

Data on this alpha network may get lost and MaidSafe will decide or require to wipe the data and restart the network with each alpha release. We will communicate these events via the SAFE Network Forum and on MaidSafe’s blog.

The proxy setting doesn’t work anymore, Maidsafe is really coding at breakneckspeed (things change rapidly for the better). Always try to use the latest updates of (Launcher/demo app and SAFE browser). You can only access your SAFE Network site through the SAFE browser.

If you go to this website safe://dir.yvette
You can also see a list of other safe websites that are online right now.

Always feel free to ask questions. :stuck_out_tongue:

The web proxy still works for Alpha 1 :slight_smile: (SAFE Launcher v0.8.0)

But yeah as @19eddyjohn75 said, if you want to try the latest changes you can try the latest test network (it runs in parallel to the Alpha network). See this topic for links to SAFE Launcher v0.10.0 and SAFE Browser.