New website: apps.safenetwork.org

Hey everyone!

Two days ago, I made a website called apps.safenetwork.org.

The goal of this website is to make it easy to see important information about SAFE Apps that are built by the community.

For each SAFE App, you can see:

• a link to the main website associated with the SAFE App
  • the forum username of the person to contact (e.g. if you want to get involved) as well as a link to the forum profile of that person. This could enable interested people to contact that person via a private message on the forum.
  • a short description of the SAFE App
  • a link to the GitHub repository containing the source code of the SAFE App and the name of the license (e.g. MIT, GPL, etc.)
  • a link to a Twitter account associated with the SAFE App
  • a link to a discussion forum or a discussion topic about the SAFE App
  • the development status of the SAFE App (Concept, Work In Progress, Demo, Working Prototype, Live, Abandoned, On Hold, Stealth Mode or Unknown)
  • the date when the information about the SAFE App was last updated

apps.safenetwork.org only contains 3 apps at the moment, but I am open to any suggestions. If you click on the information icon next to the search bar, you will find a link to a submission form which you can use to submit new apps (or to update existing apps). Feel free also to just contact me by private message on the forum or on Riot.

The website itself is a Meteor app that uses React for the UI.

And I am able to use a Python script to synchronize a Google Spreadsheet (it contains the data about the SAFE Apps) with the MongoDB database of Meteor.

The source code of apps.safenetwork.org is on GitHub!

Most of the credits goes to EtherCasts because I was able to reuse pretty much all of the source code of dapps.ethercasts.com.

Their website contains 134 dapps at the moment and as you can see, it looks really nice!

I hope to see apps.safenetwork.org grow to hundreds of SAFE Apps over the next few months :grinning:

28 Likes

So how is this going to work with the project @whiteoutmashups is doing? Are we going to have 2 app databases going or are you two going to pool your resources and work together?

7 Likes

I had mentioned @whiteoutmashups about getting an app site done with some backend code; I tried to help but I know I don’t have all the ground covered in Javascript and web apps; I know @frabrunelle does and I asked if he’d help get an app site together. voila and Bravo for it

@Blindsite2k I hope that these guys collaborate and continue onward :thumbsup:

5 Likes

I sent a PM to @whiteoutmashups just now. I will certainly try to collaborate with him :smiley:

3 Likes

Amazing @frabrunelle ! you are an inspiration, I love your constant pursuit of ingenuity and knowledge.

Side note, I was first a little shocked by the number of Ethereum apps, but after looking at every live project…wow there is a lot of friction with running so much code to just demo. I totally get where they want to go with the apps, but there will be no reason all of those developers will not instantly fall in love with SAFE. It will be really cool to see the cross over and overlaps that will happen.

11 Likes

A momentous step forward with every step the ERA of the CREATIVE is RISING
keep slayin+ @frabrunelle
#unleashinghumanpotential

3 Likes

That is an excellent thing!

Cheers

1 Like

Nice work @frabrunelle! Look forward to decluttering my workload and getting metame up there :smile: Your continual contribution to this community is inspiring… Thank you!

1 Like

good work @frabrunelle i like your pursuit of quality

1 Like

I recently redesigned apps.safenetwork.org using a static site generator called Jekyll. I created a Markdown post for each SAFE app in order to store the data (previously the data was stored in a MongoDB database manually synchronized with a Google Spreadsheet). So now the entire website (layout + data) is contained inside a GitHub repository and deployed automatically using GitHub Pages.

The main advantage is that it will now be easier to suggest new apps and improve the information for the existing apps. Anyone can easily submit a pull request to the GitHub repository.

Please visit apps.safenetwork.org and let me know if you have any comments or suggestions :slight_smile:

10 Likes

great stuff ! Thank you for making us able to spread the news out !

Maybe you could add a line on : Contributing - SAFE Network apps before : “Test it out with…”

with a link to : Setting up a GitHub Pages site with Jekyll - GitHub Docs
or : Testing your GitHub Pages site locally with Jekyll - GitHub Docs

I should publish something there soon :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Excellent, Francis. We have been working on changes to MaidSafe.net that will link to this page so great to have it updated!

4 Likes

Just for information: I get broken images for them all because Fox Security plugin thinks cdn.rawgit.com is harmful.

2 Likes

I found an open issue about this on the GitHub repo of rawgit:

looks like Norton made a false positive. I just contacted them to ask if they could unblock rawgit. It’s just a CDN for files hosted on github (so they might as well block github :stuck_out_tongue: ).

anyways, I just removed rawgit from apps.safenetwork.org (I don’t really need it after all) so you shouldn’t get any broken images next time you try :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes I agree! I just added a link to the Requirements section of Setting up your GitHub Pages site locally with Jekyll and I also made a few changes to make the instructions clearer: Contributing - SAFE Network apps

thanks for your feedback :thumbsup:

1 Like

I just redesigned apps.safenetwork.org (again) :grin:

The apps are now divided into 3 categories: “Compatible with Alpha 1”, “Compatible with Test 11” and “Work in progress”. This should make it easier for people to see which apps are available and which apps are still in development. Also, the apps are ordered based on when they were last updated.

Apps that are compatible with Alpha 1:

Apps that are compatible with Test 11:

Apps that are still in development:

I also added another page – “Featured apps” – for listing the most impressive and useful apps:

Anyone can easily submit changes (e.g. suggest new apps) by forking this GitHub repository. See this page for more info.

Please visit apps.safenetwork.org and let me know if you have any feedback :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Perhaps it could be good if apart from the website link, each app can also show a link to the live PoC/mockup site on the safe test net. So people (not following the forum, or people new to the project and/or to the maidsafe.net website) can realise that there is a test net working already with some apps to play with, hopefully encouraging them to try the test net out.

3 Likes

Sure, safe:// links can be included in the description of each app :slight_smile: (I think it’s better to have it in the description, that way it’s easier to explain how to access the app. e.g. some apps have multiple versions, other apps are installed via a binary, etc.) I added one for some of the apps (e.g. SAFE Markdown Editor, SAFE Signaling Demo, noBackend Invoice, etc.).

I didn’t add one for SAFE Wallet yet (I saw you released safe://safewallet.wow yesterday). I’ll add the link tomorrow. Or feel free to submit a pull request.

1 Like

don’t forget the new Demo App!! safe://demo.wom

And maybe add “Apps” to the top navbar of this Forum’s homepage?

1 Like

Sure, I’ll do so. Thanks @frabrunelle!

1 Like