New mod: @smacz

Many of you know me, some of you may not. My name here is @smacz. I fight for the users.

First off I want to say that I love this community and I adore this tech. I know that this is a really tense time and we’re all on pins and needles for the MVP to get out, but in all honesty, what I’m really waiting for is Safecoin. Every step forward is a little victory though, and I love to see the wins keep rolling in. Like I said, I adore this tech. I’ve heard some say that “If we could rebuild the internet, this is how we’d do it.”

Before joining, I liked bitcoin - I still use it now - and blockchain technologies, but I saw their flaws. I also saw their potential. I like to envision that we’re on a metaphorical space race with ethereum, them in Go, us in Rust. There’s certainly been an awakening, and the Internet 2.0 is on its way, one way or another.

One thing that I admire about the Maidsafe team, @dirvine especially, is that they are truly for privacy, security and freedom. Even if it’s not necessarily by their product. That being said, there are a number of reasons why I choose to dedicate my time to this project.

Two reasons why I think this project is important (besides my belief-systems) is that one, the internet of things is coming. Our property rights to our data need to be secured before that happens. Secondly, centralization is completely inefficient. I got the honor to meet Eric S. Raymond during an AMA session in PA, USA, and asked him what he thought about decentralization. IIRC, he responded “It’s about time!”

There’s a lot of far-out talk on these forums, and as you can see, I too have some strongly-held beliefs. While I’m here though, I would rather explore the Network’s revolutionary concepts than try to argue a philosophical point.

I’m off to OSU in the fall (my fellow mods didn’t even know this), and while there, I hope to use my experience and knowledge about the Network to spread the word and get some ground swell. This could not have come at a better time; both the imminent MVP release as well as my decision to resume my education.

My own personal hobby is systems administration. Once I graduate, I plan on infiltrating the culture and subtly sowing the seeds of Safe in the field (pun intended). You can visit my homepage at http://andrew-cz.no-ip.org (work in progress), and along with my (mostly blandly technical) blog, I have links to some of my most used sites; The ArchWiki, Reddit, and these forums to name a few. BTW, I run neither Micro$oft Windoze nor iAnything. Debian or Fedora is typically loaded up depending on what I’m doing.

Anyways, I never got to do a proper About Me, so there it is. I have worked closely with this mod team during my time here as a member, and I will serve this community as best I can in that same capacity. Discourse’s software is excellent and the tools at the moderators disposal enable every inquiry to reach us promptly, so don’t hesitate to flag a post or message @moderators if there’s something the matter on the forums.

I’m typically here daily, so feel free to drop me a PM if you need something or have a question, and I’ll get back to you the next time I’m on.

– Andrew Cz

15 Likes

Excellent Andrew, thanks for this. I want to high five you, and I wish you the best in your several endeavours.

It’s great to have you as a mod. I love your commitment to fight for the users!

That sums up what we’re all about here I think. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Did no one click on my bitcoin link? Shame.

What bitcoin link!? I visited your website but it was a bit hard to navigate on my phone. :blush: