Network terminology

I’ve actually caught myself using phrases as ‘on safe’ as well when explaining the project to friends. I’m all for embracing lazy short terms.

Keep your data on SAFE
Protect data on SafeNet
SafeNet - access you protected data everywhere
ill think more :smile:

Here’s the distinction that we need: The “mist” is the state of data in the network and is not the network itself. SafeSpace is the network or the “place” where the “mist” is suspended just like in the real atmosphere. We can call it SafeSpace (with two capitals for informal branding purposes) to refer to the MaidSafe network and say things like: “Where do you store your stuff? I store it as mist in the SafeSpace.”

1 Like

That’s more or less my idea. See The Beatitudes of Project SAFE post above.

1 Like

I dig it. This is exactly where my head was at on this, too.

This could be possibly be a good name. At very least, it’s a good descriptor.

Something about “SafeSpace” seems off. Can’t put my finger on it yet. I like “mist” though.

Yeah, I agree. This might be a harsh thought on the term, but i think SafeSpace might feel like its trying really hard. “Put it here, in the SafeSpace, where things are Safe, unlike that other internet.” It’s really on point, instead of leading. The first thing I want to do when I hear names like that is figure out why it’s not safe. Like health food products that seem to overcompensate by calling themselves Nutri:Quinoa, EarthGrown, or Green Planet Smoothies.

1 Like

Safespace sounds great or Saif’s space

1 Like

The current name, SAFE Network, is actually not bad:

• “This app uses the SAFE network”
  • “Save your files in the SAFE network”

Its only downside is that it’s not a google friendly term.

Therefore, if the community really decides to pursue a new term, then I suggest that it should convey the fundamental philosophy of the SAFE network.

To me that philosophy is “the network by the people, to the people”, so I’ll throw another suggestion into the mix: Folknet.

Interesting suggestion,
Please don’t take offense… but uhmmm… it sounds too familar to a vulgar word. Someone might think it’s a dating network, if you get my meaning.

3 Likes

@dyamanaka, I know exactly what you mean :smile:

That thought did occur to me, but I just assumed that I had a dirty mind. I feel somewhat relieved that you brought it up.

2 Likes

NEBULA - Interstellar cloud - seems appropriate (this is where SAFE is going!)

Or maybe a bit too geeky.

Hello all by the way. Just joined!

1 Like

Hi, new member here.
I think a good name should be short, snappy and if possible not derive from existing words in the space.

So I’ll humbly suggest ‘Pan’

From the Greek meaning all, across, everything. Commonly used as a prefix: Pan-American, Pan-orama, Pan-global, etc. So we’d be using the term Pan as we also use the term Tor. No need to prefix it with the just as you wouldn’t refer to ‘The Tor’

Pan: For all, by all, across everything.
Sums it up nicely really, and if there’s a need for the letters of the word to stand for something, which I don’t think is neccesary, Peoples Anonymous Network perhaps…

Also disassociates Maidsafe the company from the network that it has given away.

1 Like

panta rhei by Heraclitus comes to mind. “everything flows” a very appropriate description of SAFE too. I like the idea a lot, but SAFE still has the advantage of being easily understood ( without thinking :wink: )

Here’s an interesting article.
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/425970/who-coined-cloud-computing/

People will call it different things, based on how they understand it. If a big marketing push is made, then the phrase or term will be repeated many times over until the public adopts it into their vocabulary. We aren’t the first to try a decentralized internet, and we won’t be the last. But we are trying some new features.

Private Data Storage: Technically speaking, the project SAFE whitepaper talks about data being stored in a Vault, which is connected to other Vaults. If you think about it, the SAFE Network is an ODB (Online Data Bank). In fact, people buy SafeSpace storage from the Network (not run by humans) and use their “keys” to access it.

Public Data Share: Another feature of the SAFE Network, is unlimited “reading” of public data, accessible by anyone, even those without a S.A.F.E. deposit account. The uploading author needs a SAFE account to “write” on the Network. But they can choose to be MYST-erious or they can identify themselves for public RECO-gnition.

Safecoin Crypto Currency: IMO, this is our biggest seller. It is a native born crypto currency that acts just like cash. It appeals to majority of the population who can become “farmers” and join the free online world. Unlike other alt-coins, this one actually serves an innate function on the network. It can also be used for many, many, many other things as well.

I think all terms are great, because different cultures have different names for the same thing. @fergish demonstrated that phenomenon when he posted “translations” for different languages. Which ever becomes the most popular, people will adopt. Try them all! :wink:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, “The Pan” has connotations in Scotland, maybe Eng too regarding toilets. Down the Pan is not a good place to be,

Which is a shame cos otherwise I like it,

1 Like

Network Vault?

A bank vault (or strongroom) is a secure space where money, valuables, records, and documents can be stored. It is intended to protect their contents from theft.

something in that direction?

For me the “cloud” has always meant an outside network under the control of a third party, which is loosely based on the meaning of the cloud symbol in computer network diagrams:

Clouds are used to represent networks external to the one pictured for
the purposes of depicting connections between internal and external
devices, without indicating the specifics of the outside network.

When you store something in the cloud, you are handing it over (along with its keys) to someone else to manage, and you need not worry about how it is stored, backed up and, unfortunately, how it is used and by whom. So for me the cloud really means loss of control in return for convenience.

The novelty of decentralised approaches like the SAFE Network (and others) is that it continues providing the very same convenience (and potentially more in terms of high availability) without any loss of control and without requiring any kind of trust in a third party. It’s a new networked commons, since it belongs to no one and to everyone at the same time.

I’d like to think that we can come up with a term that captures this concept, and that can be applied to both the SAFE Network as well as some other projects out there. It’s easier said than done.

Your post actually reminded me of the movie Avatar. If you have watched it, there is a part where the Na’vi connect to the tree roots/limbs and upload/download memories. They called it Eywa. I’m not saying we should name it that, just that it had some similarities.

“Eywa is the guiding force and deity of Pandora and the Na’vi. The Na’vi believe that Eywa acts to keep the ecosystem of Pandora in perfect equilibrium. It is sometimes theorized by human scientists that all living things on Pandora connect to Eywa through a system of neuro-conductive antennae; this often explains why Na’vi can mount their direhorse or mountain banshee steeds and ride them immediately without going through the necessary steps required to domesticate such wild animals.”

1 Like

I am just trying to think as “normal person” :slight_smile: not the programmer/gamer/and so on. SAFE needs to be a commercial success and ordinary users need to connect easily with a concept. Decentralized, secure and anonymous data storage and more.
Just sharing my thoughts.