Nasty Party plans for "New Internet"

Unfortunately there a no surprises from conservatives…

Theresa May is planning to introduce huge regulations on the way the internet works, allowing the government to decide what is said online.

Particular focus has been drawn to the end of the manifesto, which makes clear that the Tories want to introduce huge changes to the way the internet works.

“Some people say that it is not for government to regulate when it comes to technology and the internet,” it states. “We disagree.”

urgh…

2 Likes

Terrifying.

Well, I planned on emigrating anyway.

These guys are not going to like SAFE when they realise what it is.

You could try to look at the bright side.
Is this not good ammunition for the opposition for the upcoming election?
And extra motiviation for Maidsafe.

3 Likes

Any destinations in mind @Jabba?

1 Like

Somewhere hot with no CGT ;). Nevis looks nice as a base camp.

1 Like

I said the same thing to the Mrs. This may not lose her many conservative voters, but it will sure mobilise a lot of lazy and apathetic non-voters into voting against her.[quote=“draw, post:3, topic:13743”]
And extra motiviation for Maidsafe.
[/quote]

Certainly good for SAFE (makes it more useful) as long as it gets launched before these regulations start being applied. Otherwise a lot of the team are going to have to emigrate too. Perhaps we could buy or create our own ‘SAFE’ island post testsafecoin? Count me in for that crowdsale :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Or Scotland can seperate from England, or is that not realistic?
Anyhow, they’re welcome in Belgium (although you have to pay a lot of taxes here).

I’d say it’s a lot more likely if Teresa sees through this online manifesto.

Under UK tax law it is arguable that cryptocurrency gains are tax free (gambling) so you may be stuck here :wink:

1 Like

But to be fair to Theresa May, there is also the new French president Macron.
On the one hand he has experience himself with Bitcoin, but on the other hand he wants the government to be able to decrypt messaging apps a la Signal (Whatsapp): Cryptocurrency Market Players Looking Forward to Macron’s New Policy

1 Like

If we buy a big boat we could just cruise international waters. I know a captain who might join us! :smile:

2 Likes

Ha, I’ll go even if there’s no CGT here, although I very much doubt they will allow any large tax bills to escape them, so I don’t see the ‘gambling’ angle playing out.

We want to live somewhere hot and we want to travel a lot, we can still visit the UK for a few weeks each year :wink:

1 Like

Stop right there, I see no reason to be at all fair to her!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

They’re all as bad as each other really.

2 Likes

Well at least Macron has a better understanding of Cryptocurrency, it seems. That’s a start.

1 Like

I’m too green fingered and prone to sea sickness for life on the water. I need somewhere to get my hands dirty every day.

2 Likes

I’m not an accountant… but saw this recently: https://www.contractorsaccountantonline.co.uk/news/latest-news-for-business/archive/news-article/2014/March/hmrc-issue-guidance-on-bitcoin points to Tax on cryptoassets - GOV.UK and though dated 2014, I expect little has changed… looks like capital gains etc and not unusual enough even that accountants advertise expertise in cryptocurrency any more than other flavours of wealth… though perhaps that will change if there’s a growing interest in understanding and actioning conversions.

1 Like

That is what it looks like it will be in Australia. The ATO (tax man) sees crypto gains the same as share gains. Tax the hell out of you once you bring it back as cash. At least our capital gains allows you to keep 50% of it as tax free and then taxes the rest (works out to around 50% rate). So any massive gains will see the tax man get 25% of the whole. (This assumes the amount has been in crypto for over a year)

1 Like

This seems political recuperation to me:

Theresa May: Internet must be regulated to prevent terrorism

2 Likes

This is going to get some serious attention in the near term. Will SafeNet be the scourge of the online world and attract some regulators with thoughts of making it illegal to use? Or can it help somehow?