My First JAMS Blog Post

Loved the article. Thank you for an articulate vision of how to transition into a decentralized Internet.

Have you considered integrating your safe app with your own project crypto currency controlled by the DAO, all noncustodial of course? Await any payments and royalties would be with your crypto. That way you could accept all the other blockchain programable money options as well as safe, but then it will allow you to be much more successful, I believe, in leveraging a reward system that is not dependent on censorship or persecution.

One of my safe/BC apps is for music, dance and art festivals. Blockchain has made some huge strides in the decentralization of ID/authentication and works well with membership related applications. The blockchain to safe bridging will be critical and JAM seems wonderfully placed to demonstrate the liquid token economy.

3 Likes

I have quite a bit actually. Artists would need a stable currency and without a dollar reserve it would have to be an algorithmic stable coin which hasn’t been fully successful, yet. I haven’t wanted to do a token sale/crowdsale/ICO as I don’t want to be beholden to sale participants, regardless of my determination.

As far as what payment system is chosen, it will depend on the state of the network token and the US dollar. JAMStand subscription and streaming payouts would likely be US dollar as that’s what most is valued in. What payment processing will be used is TBD. Tips and exclusive content could easily be in Safe Network Token.

Whenever it makes sense I will prefer adapting things to the Safe economy.

Appreciate the comments and compliments. Also good luck on your personal endeavors!

7 Likes

Thanks for passing on the Radix stuff.

MusicBrainz is an invaluable resources and has a deep well of information to pull from. I intend to utilize it to the fullest extent possible.

4 Likes

Great post @Nigel! Gosh it is an exciting time isn’t it?

I am reminded of Benn Jordan’s excellent video on why Spotify will fail:

Spoiler Alert: Decentralised distribution platforms are the long term solution.

11 Likes

Incidentally it’s the reason many of the other current dominant web platforms will fail

8 Likes

I actually reached out to him because of that video. I honestly couldn’t tell if his response was automated or not though :laughing:

But apparently he has his own project he’s working on. I’ll need to look deeper into that!

7 Likes

Having seen the abuse and bullying from others^ who have willingly participated in a crowdsale and were then not in a position to buy a Lambo, I don’t blame you.

Why subject yourself to that shit?

^OK, OK - one other in particular.

2 Likes

known investor lost money,

PSA: dont invest

1 Like

Hi, have you give any thought to how it would deal with tracks the contain element of other other artists works, eg samples and cover versions?

As from my reading of your I would guess that if you verified a track you had made that contained an identifiable sample then you might have you verification revoked if the maker of the sample complained and then you would have to go through the rigmarole of the music licensing industry to resolve the issue. Which would hinder the universality of access. Could when you verify a track, you choose to leave a proportion of it unverified for the creator of the sample to claim or something and then presiding organisation would could just consider adjusting the proportion if it seems unfair rather then totally removing the verification?

5 Likes

Excellent questions. Definitely would have to be a Verified Artist to be paid, if Unverified and accruing Network Royalty Rewards it’s kind of assumed we would know the rights and already existing royalties that would be entitled to the artists being sampled.

In the case of new music being created by a Verified Artist using samples, it’s likely there would be a whole process of checking acoustic fingerprints, ASCAP, etc etc and making sure everything is above board before publishing. At that point as you astutely concluded, if the sampled artist is not verified then royalties could be accrued for claim but the really cool part is that this whole talk of ‘NFTs’, this is one of the actual useful applications of having keys or wallet IDs as “non-fungible”. Each song could have multiple wallet IDs from the onboarded artists (or even others, including if they auction off the rights to their percentage share of royalties) so even the artist who’s music was sampled could have his percentage cut every time the song is played.
In any case of Verified Artists pirating and the funds are gone etc I would suppose JAMStand would have to revoke the artists earning potential, maybe just suspend them. That is something I actually should put more thought into so thank you for bringing that up.

Seriously great questions and you picked up what I was putting down in the blog, so all the better.

5 Likes

@Nigel This would be after your app is built and running. There could be a Venue portal for JAMStand to issue and collect tickets at the door. The Band and Venue could settle payment through the app. Tickets issued to fans could be checked at the door and archive as an NFT.

3 Likes

It’s like you’re reading my mind! I’ve been writing just a short form blog post about just that relating to the Ticketmaster/Taylor Swift debacle from recently. I also give a short explanation why the server overload wouldn’t have happened on SN. I give some other examples of how Taylor Swifts influence and participation, though not necessary, could change everything very quickly for all.

I am finding it difficult to not have really short and concise explanations of the network and it’s capabilities to link to so I feel I need to make a dedicated TLDR for the Safe Network, JAMS, and also JAMStand.

If anyone is up for the task of providing those concise points I will 100% give credit in the pertinent post!

If nothing sprouts up from that offer I may recruit our old friend ChatGPT.

Very prescient @Knosis

4 Likes
4 Likes

This is AMAZING! When you find an idea you had and see another person has been building it is both frustrating and encouraging. Clearly to have missed the personal opportunity but also to know you were on the right track.

Session Studio is almost exactly what I had envisioned with JAMStand. I will definitely be encouraging the use of this to musicians. I would love to see this on SN too obviously and to seek integration with JAMS, so it is worth reaching out.

cc @JimCollinson

14 Likes

Al calls out Spotify saying he got 80 million views and received $12 enough for a sandwich. Something needs to change.

30 seconds

1 Like

It’s great you post this because the low streaming payouts still hasn’t been addressed.

What Studio Sessions does is ensure artists have an easy way to have their music rights tagged and given appropriate industry identifiers, split revenue between members or other performers, etc etc. They solve making all those more complex processes much easier and in the hands of everyone rather than middle men, while also ensuring as a performer your music streaming payouts aren’t put into one of the payout “black boxes” mentioned that end up going to big industry (go figure).

That’s a big issue solved for sure but it’s not thee biggest issue. No music service yet has had the balls to pay people their worth, so still opportunity there!

It might be time to write another blog post, this time focusing on the overlap with Studio Sessions and the remaining issues at hand.

6 Likes

I’m listening to Spotify and this track comes up. They have a “dig deeper” button now. So I click the dig deeper button and I see there are tickets on sale.
I then click on this…

I then click on this…

Okay so I can buy tickets but there is no link to the artists. I find this BS to be honest. This is Spotify and this company keeping the loop closed. This has to end. What kind of service sells ticket without giving you a link to the artist? The very people who make the show possible.

4 Likes