My campaign to earn 1MM MAID in 1 year, 1 hour at a time, doing crowd directed SAFE development

@drehb

[Re]write entirely in Rust.

Analyzing the viability of that would be an element of part B of stage 1.

I initially feel rewriting might be a waste of resources but if the functionality, UI, and vision can be progressed in the same vein but in Rust then it might be worth it. SAFE-CMS is a powerful tool, especially with the templates.

5 Likes

I agree - it’s mostly a front-end tool therefore something JS-based would be best suited.

5 Likes

@Nigel

That’s a perfectly reasonable position. I would argue that there’s sufficient value to having everything written in Rust however it’s not my decision to make.

1 Like

@JPL

That is no longer true. The future of web frontends, and present for some of us, is WebAssembly. Rust is arguably the flagship language for producing WebAssembly.

4 Likes

Maybe so, but since it was already working (on a previous Alpha) and speed is not of the essence for a CMS, would it really make sense to rewrite it all?

4 Likes

@JPL

Benefits to rewriting it in Rust would include:

• Rust is a better language than JavaScript improving the development experience, maintainability, and overall quality.
  • Rust is the lingua franca of SAFE itself.
  • An opportunity to revisit any prior aspect of design or implementation that should be improved.

If those are valued sufficiently it would be worth it, otherwise I don’t believe so.

4 Likes

I can respect your wish for privacy.
But to me it seems like you are at job interview without a cv.
I could not hire you if you cant show yourself capable of doing what you want to do.

2 Likes

@bones

I can certainly appreciate your point.

I would counter that the overhead (read: cost) of hiring, and potentially firing, for an employed position is much greater than evaluating a contractor in as little as 1 hour increments.

Being occasionally responsible for technical hiring, if a candidate appeared out of nowhere, demonstrated an immediate conversational competence with the domain, and was ready to demonstrate ability on a short term contract basis at a discount rate, I would and have agreed.

That’s not to say this campaign is currently the right fit for everyone. For some it may be preferable to wait until I’ve delivered results here.

4 Likes

Awesome. You will be the first person I contact if I got a killer app idea. There is no chance I would be ble to develop one myself so I would definitely need someone’s help.

5 Likes

That is certainly an improvement. Maybe the PtD rewards could be set to be the MaidSafe Foundation Charity to aid the charity.

I feel we would need a community “board” to oversee the administration and work done. Thus people can contribute to the projects whether someone pays them or not. A community project, and any payments to others is not handled by the “board”, the “board” is simply there to look after the github account and ensure PtD address is set to a worthy charity.

8 Likes

I am of course for this, but I want to offer something that I think will make more money for the MaidSafe Foundation Charity…

I am assuming that more people would give money for development time if they could earn something. So for me, the real road to success is:

• 5% of the PtD rewards to be directed to Charity
  • 5% for advertising
  • 90% to be distributed among investors…
2 Likes

Just some thoughts. Right now when MAID is at is lowest since before early 2017, it is a good time to be a reciever of a salary in MAID. I would personally keep the powder dry until Fleming success, if funding would come from investment capital and not ongoing cash flow. On Fleming success any paid salary would have got leverage from the rise of invested capital

I would probably only pay in advance if I knew all information about the one that was going to do the job. Otherwise I would pay hour by hour or on completion.

4 Likes

That requires a legal entity, pay taxes, etc. Its not something that can be done independently of having legal entity. The reason is you are distributing funds and record keeping has to be made, and audited each year.

By setting the charity as the receiver of the PtD then there is no need for anything since it is a legal entity receiving the funds and they handle it from there.

5 Likes

I think you would have to do some reporting either way. Regardless of who gets the PtD rewards you are still paying an employee. At least in Canada when you pay someone hourly you have to keep records of that and deduct taxes as you go then at the end give them a slip of how much tax you already paid for the employees reporting.

1 Like

Very interesting. In Bulgaria, all crypto is magic monopoly money. Paying a worker with them is like playing a game…

4 Likes

Ya the more I think about it for me to hire someone from Canada @anon57419684 's requirement to remain anon is just unworkable. It doesn’t matter if I pay him in gold bars or bags of rice, you have to report that transfer of value in exchange for work to the government and you can’t say I hired some mystery man. So as much as I would prefer to hire him, I would probably have to just find a programmer in Canada that was willing to do it with full disclosures.

1 Like

I have a solution to this problem. You can hire me and point me out as the person receiving your money in front of your government. I’ll give you all the information you need. I also have a valid electronic signature if I need to sign something.

Because MAID are magic money in my country, I don’t have to pay taxes on them and I can pass them on to @latch

4 Likes

That is the responsibility of the contractor. Normal stuff
If the one paying wants a tax deduction then they will report it too, Normal stuff
In any case the payer needs to record the value of the coin given as a value on the profit side of their ledger

This is NOT what I was referring to

Most western countries AFAIK are going for the “trading” side and you have to value the transaction for each transaction and list them in ones P&L for extra income

That’ll work for the other person. Just make sure your tax office/government does not change definitions/laws on you.

4 Likes

Every year I file a declaration for all the crypto I have bought. I only owe tax if I turn the crypto into fiat money. If I turn from 1 crypto to another crypto I owe nothing. :dragon:

8 Likes