My campaign to earn 1MM MAID in 1 year, 1 hour at a time, doing crowd directed SAFE development

@Fruico

May I ask what specifically you are referring to? I wish to ensure that I do not incorrectly presume the value to you here.

@bones

I would prefer not to. Fully respecting that I’m new to the forum and showing no prior work, I’m happy to accommodate any reasonable method of alleviating risk such as My campaign to earn 1MM MAID in 1 year, 1 hour at a time, doing crowd directed SAFE development.

@jeremyjpj0916

Without specifying the profile of the developer that’s difficult to discuss. Assuming you’re referring to mine that’s incorrect. My contract rate is $80/hr and is competitive. I’m offering it through this campaign for $50.

As with any aspect of this campaign, I would especially invite other developers to critique and challenge me.

2 Likes

I am not sure if this is joke or what.

• you came with work offer and there is nobody to pay you

• your required $50 per hour is more than native maidsafe employees earn

• nobody knows you, you have no reference and no history

• Maidsafe has recently fired many employees to cut costs and have funds only for core development. If there were anyone here willing to fund some development by donation he would rather send his money directly to the core team

• compare your proposal with Litecoin development fund. Litecoin is top 5 crypto coin, with multi billion market cap. They want to implement nimblewimble anonymity and asked whole community to fund it. They needed just half salary for a single dev, and they were not able to raise it. So as a result Charlie Lee, the creator of litecoin had to pay it from his private money. There are millions of people holding litecoin and they failed to fund it. So what chances do you think you have here?

• Do you know there are multiple cool guys in this forum who are helping, developing, testing, promoting or simulating network for free? Many are spending their money to help some way. If some of those guys asked for funds, I am sure they would get some. But I doubt they would get so much as you wish for yourself.

7 Likes

I think the plan is to commission work from community members that have ideas and funds but no coding experience. The effort to obtain trust by being granular with time seems genuine to me. What is someone going to make off with $50? Even if that happened then they would be able to tell the rest of the community just as much as they could share progress of the open source repo if the work is completed.

Cut the guy some slack. I think it’s a possible opportunity and an interesting proposition for those with ideas and no coding experience. We could use more active development of apps imo.

10 Likes

@Antifragile

That’s an incorrect assumption. A moderator could look in my messages and confirm that if they wish.

I’ve either already addressed your other points or IMHO they are irrelevant. For example, those helping for free are doing a good thing, but we are different people and unfortunately I do not currently have that option.

I have value to offer, I had an interesting idea, I proposed it, and it will be capitalized on or not.

3 Likes

Please also consider that the way this has been done previously is that the person presented their project and offered something for the contributors in return. OR the person did the work with the expectation that they would earn their “money” through PtD rewards that will occur over time.

To pay an “independent contractor” means they are earning at commercial rates then earning the PtD rewards after. In reality its the people who pay their bills who legally should be earning the PtD rewards since the contractor has already received their payment.

Thus in this situation we start to have a messy situation both in who should be getting what and legally.

This needs to be carefully considered.

6 Likes

I read this as anyone can hire you, including for their own SAFE net projects, kind of like a freelancer, right?

3 Likes

While you are indeed offering value, it’s like I pay you then you do something for everyone basically. Not that I would not consider a small amount as a "charitable donation… but as an investment I don’t see how you would be making me money personally.

I am doubtful you will find 1M of charity from our modest sized community. Perhaps if you could frame it as an investment you could get those kind of numbers. For example you create an app for me to own and make the passive income off.

3 Likes

I don’t think he understands this part of the network design… If you read this part of his topic you will see that he does not know that 5% of all SafeCoin is reserved for the development of the network and will be accessible to anyone who can contribute:

3 Likes

Well maybe there are some git issues raised on some of the MaidSafe repos labeled as challenging. If you can get in there with minimal guidance and refactor or add the additional logic in short time I am sure you could find a place among the dev team. SAFE is desperately needed, and if you are kickass brilliant dev then idk why they couldn’t pay out some big bucks to someone who can fully shoulder the burden in certain aspects of the network left to complete, crank out some thousands of lines of code and deliver what we need :smile:.

I don’t have any rust/decentralized/web 3.0 tech specialties so I play the cheerleader role around here even though I am a software engineer by trade, plus the day job keeps me too burned out to want to dig into big side projects.

4 Likes

@neo

Are you asking? Because it appears that you’re assuming and if so that’s incorrect. As described, any sponsored code I wrote for projects would be available in public GitLab repositories. I would have no intention of deploying it myself to earn ongoing Safecoin rewards.

What I’m offering is simply, buy my time as a developer and point it at any SAFE-related purpose.

4 Likes

@goindeep

Yes.

@andyypants

Fortunately I’m not seeking charity. To the contrary I’m offering to work at nearly half of my normal rate.

I am not offering an investment. I am offering development time.

2 Likes

It’s a charity in that you are asking people to fund something that helps the community at a cost to themselves. If you think that’s not a charity then neither would it be if you just donated your time. Your proposition is not attractive from an investment perspective because you are’t giving me anything exclusive like you would be getting from the deal in the form of people buying your time for money.

2 Likes

It is the Tragedy of the commons and it usually doesn’t work. I say usually because if you remember we managed to raise money for a video clip and the fact is that many good people support my efforts to promote SAFE …

Maybe among us is someone rich enough to hire a programmer to do the program he wants just because he wants it and money is no problem…

4 Likes

All you have to do to donate to development is pump the hell outa MAID so they actual dev team where we have sorta kinda solved the tragedy of the commons with digital tokens can hire another guy. I think if you want to be a freelance dev it’s gonna be reallly hard to find a rich person to just pay you to do whatever. If you want a rich person to pay you they probably want something in return lol.

1 Like

No offense but I find that a somewhat narrow way of perceiving this. It’s more like an investment than a charity. Either you own MAID or Safecoin and if your app idea creates any buzz or draws anyone to the ecosystem then you could be getting a return on your investment and that’s not counting PtD rewards. Even if not strictly a financial reward, the network is stronger the more users/farmers there are to secure your stored data or give you the opportunity to farm. Perhaps you value anonymity in which a more prosperous network would more robustly facilitate that.

If there are no apps there isn’t much point to using the SAFE Network and you can’t expect Maidsafe to seed the network with all of the apps that would replace everything out there on the legacy internet.

7 Likes

I like what you say. Let’s act then. I’m redirecting my budget from the Monthly Twitter sharing event with prizes of 2400 MAID to this campaign.

Anyone who wants to get involved can send MAID to: 3G3fxSc1pTXDBPstkDtjd1EePMD3haoQWr and when we reach 102560 MAID (160 hours x (50$/h / 0.078$ MAID) ) for development we will hire @latch.

We’ll run a poll for which app to hire him. If we do not raise the money for a certain time, say 1 month I will return the money to everyone back…

6 Likes

Some very valid points here… still I think dev team is there to solve the big everyone problems. To finically help solve those just support them and get MAID in the process so everyone wins.

There is certainly room for freelancers but they should not just ask for money in exchange for nothing more then everyone else gets. I mean please prove me wrong but I don,t think many people would want to put in when they could just let someone else pay and get the same reward. If you want me to pay you by the hour to dev something it really would have to be something where I am essentially buying the longer term PtD rewards.

2 Likes