Music of the day

Today I present to you Hippie Sabotage’s (wiki) remix on this track: Ridin’ Solo (soundcloud). It’s a remix of a remix I believe, The original song is I think by “Renzell” but it is difficult to find any info on her.

Hippie Sabotage is an indie duo from Sacramento, California,[1] composed of brothers Kevin and Jeff Saurer.[2]

They were #1 on Billboard’s Next Big Sound chart.[3] They have performed with Ellie Goulding and Tove Lo and have worked with Cubic Z from We the Best Music Group.They are best known for their remix of “Habits (Stay High)”, which has surpassed 750 million views on YouTube.

Hippie Sabotage’s website.

Lyrics: (geniusdotcom)

[Verse]
Take myself somewhere fa-far
Somewhere new
I can’t feel you
What am I supposed to do?
I won’t look back on things that don’t look my way
'Cause time has made me change
It won’t let me stay
Why should I care when you absolutely never did?
Don’t you know that love
It works both ways

[Pre-Chorus]
You can go, go, go
And go, go, go
And go, go, go
And leave
Go, go, go
And go, go, go
And go, go, go
And leave

[Chorus]
I’m ridin’ solo, baby
I’m ridin’ solo
I’m ridin’ solo, baby

[Verse]
Somewhere new
I can’t feel you
I won’t look back on things that don’t look my way
'Cause time has made me change
It won’t let me stay
Why should I care when you absolutely never did?
Don’t you know that love
It works both ways

[Pre-Chorus]
You can go, go, go
And leave- go, go, go
And leave- go, go, go
And leave me
Here alone, go, go
And leave- go, go, go
And leave- go, go, go
And leave me
Here alo-

[Chorus]
I’m ridin’ solo, baby
I’m ridin’ solo
I’m ridin’ solo, baby

[Bridge]
F–k it, I don’t need you
I can breathe just fine without you here
I said f–k it, I don’t need you
I’m doing just fine
F–k it, I don’t need you
I’m doing just fine

[Outro]
Somewhere new
I can’t feel you

This song reminds me of the hard times, hard times with loved ones, hard times with my community. And during those times I sometimes just want to run away… I want to be “ridin’ solo” just like that time when I rode my Honda CBR 600 f4i from New York City to San Francisco in five days, one of the best trips of my life, the best day being waking up in the Colorado Rockies and ridin all the way to the fastest land place on Earth, the Bonneville Salt Flats. Good times. But, I never do run away anymore, i love my loved ones too much and my communities now too. No matter how hard they can be at times.

I miss her…
Wire 2020-04-07 at 20.01.25

Enjoy.

1 Like

I don’t listen to music much, but I think I like your taste (in music). I’ve also “ridden solo” through parts of Asia and Mexico. Mostly public buses, though. Trains used to be good in India, but not anymore.

1 Like

Today I present Alela Diane’s (wiki) track Pirate’s Gospel (soundcloud) remixed by Phonc (sterkwater).

Alela Diane Menig (born April 20, 1983), known as Alela Diane, is an American singer-songwriter from Nevada City, California.

The songs for her album The Pirate’s Gospel were written on a trip to Europe. They were recorded in her father’s studio and were initially self-released in 2004, in paper and lace sleeves with hand lettering. The album was issued in revised form by Holocene Music[1] in October 2006, and received widespread critical acclaim.[2][3][4][5][6]

I like the remix a lot as it is a bit faster but if you want to hear the original track it’s available on Spotify (sign-up required).

DJ Phonc info:

Remko has played many a festival and club in his 20 year dj career. Versatility being key in his sets he plays as Phonc, he’s a welcome guest at parties ranging from hip-hop to funk and from high energy electronic music to house music.

As Komplexx however, Remko focusses on deep and melodic house and techno music. This is also evident in his productions which he releases on several labels. One of these is Mimi Music; our in-house vinyl record label.

Lyrics: (lyricsmania)

While some folks row way up to heaven
I’m gonna sing the pirate’s gospel
I’m gonna sow these feet for dancin’
I’m gonna keep my eyes wide open

Yo ho yo ho
Yo ho ho
Yo ho yo ho ho
Yo ho yo ho
Sing the pirate’s gospel

Add another flame
To our forest
Where big bellied whales
Keep us chanting
We’re slapping firey thighs
For tiny dancers
Where the children creep
Until the morning
When the sun does seep
Into our fair flesh
Until the fingernails
Will take us home

Yo ho yo ho
Yo ho ho
Yo ho yo ho ho
Yo ho yo ho
Sing the pirate’s gospel

While some folks pray
Their path to Jesus
We’re gonna sing
The pirate’s gospel
We’re gonna sow
Our feet for dancing
We’re gonna keep
Our eyes wide open
We’re gonna sing

The pirate’s gospel
We’re gonna chant
The pirate’s gospel
You’ll find us clap
The pirate’s gospel

Yo ho yo ho
Yo ho ho
Yo ho yo ho ho
Yo ho yo ho
Sing the pirate’s gospel
Sing the pirate’s gospel

Emphasis is mine.

Enjoy.

Happy to hear you are enjoying. I myself quite enjoy making these posts. Due to the format chosen it forces me to find a bit of background on the music I am attracted to and to actually find out all the words, if any. I go through phases of listening to music and what with this lockdown found myself falling back into it. Music was a big part of my childhood, my Father was a singer and knew quite a few popular artists.

I have travelled a bit myself, a lot of the USA, the UK, and France. I would absolutely love to hit up India and Asia, I am big on yogic philosophy and big fan of ancient Japan styles. It is hopefully my next big trip once I can get my family settled.

I am happy to share and thank you for sharing your enjoyment.

1 Like

Today I present to you,

Coming from Chill Bump’s (website) trackLife Has Value” (soundcloud) applicable in the current global situation today more than ever! Now just listen to those lyrics or read below.

Thanks to the successes of their Eps and music videos, and followed by the release of their equally successful first album, Ego Trip , Chill Bump has managed to pin Tours, France – the group’s hometown – on the map of European hip-hop. The team, consisting of native English speaking MC, Miscellaneous, and renowned IDA and DMC turntablist, Bankal, has just wrapped up album number 2, entitled Going Nowhere . While the signature sound that characterized the group’s rap debut was organic and ardent, their auditory essence has evolved over time into a more transfused form with the accession of Trap Music.

Lyrics: (genius)

I don’t have to tell you things are bad
Everybody knows things are bad
The dollar buys a nickel’s worth
Banks are going bust
Shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter
We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat
And we sit, watching our TVs
While some local newscaster tells us
That today we had fifteen homicides
And sixty-three violent crimes
As if that’s the way it’s supposed to be
We know things are bad…
Worse than bad… They’re crazy!
It’s like everything everywhere is going crazy
So we don’t go out any more
We sit in our house and
Slowly the world we’re living in is getting smaller
And all we say is:
Please at least leave us alone in our living room
Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials
And I won’t say anything
Just leave us alone…
Well I’m not going to leave you alone…
I want you to get MAD!

Hypnotised by a spreading viral sydrome
Sitting silent in a cyber prison, eyes got spinning spirals in’em
We’re spending our lives pretending, idealising idols singing
Worthless simple minded jerks, jerking off at the sight of women…
Raping your soul sonny, they’ve made you a slow puppet
Enslaved the globe with paper, causing commun, sick behaviour
They divide ya, make ya fight, constantly quarrel with your neighbor
You make me wanna wake ya, shout, shake ya out your bed
Slap ya back to reality, pound ya, break your drousy head
Whether black, brown, white, yellow or blue, whether you Jew
Christian, Muslim, Man or Woman, Macho, Feminist too
Forget your hatred and beefs, gay or straight relate evenly
We can blatantly see we’re ALL getting raped equally
People should be eager to put their forces together!
The more the better! Forget your pain, y’all important and clever!
(Get mad) Listen bredren, you’re not a little bread crumb
Lift your head son, cause you’re a fucking living legend!
(Get mad) You’re not a zombie hun, don’t nod when they numb ya
You’re not a statistic, nah, not an anonymous number…
(Get mad) You are knowledge, wonder, mind, body and soul
Flip Big Brother the bird,
‘cause he’s not in control, nope!
(Get mad) Strike the power, time to be sour
Pile up the cowards’ cadavres after dragging ’em out they ivory tower
Blaow!

I don’t want you to protest
I don’t want you to riot
I don’t want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn’t know what to tell you to write
I don’t know what to do about the depression and
The inflation and the crime in the Streets
All I know is that first, you’ve got to get mad
You’ve got to say :
I’m a Human being God damn it!
MY LIFE HAS VALUE!

If you liked this track you can find more of Chill Bump’s music on Spotify and videos on Youtube.

Enjoy.

2 Likes

Listened to this yesterday for the first time in years and it’s still rattling around in my skull this morning, which is a sure sign of something or other.

An unstoppable groove and a rare example of Lou Reed having fun.

Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you The Velvet Underground’s Foggy Notion (last.fm)

2 Likes

Today I present to you a remix by Hot Chip (wiki) of William Onyeabor’s (wiki) track Atomic Bomb (soundcloud).

Hot Chip are an English synth-pop band formed in London in 2000. The group consists of multi-instrumentalists Alexis Taylor, Joe Goddard, Al Doyle, Owen Clarke, and Felix Martin. They are occasionally supplemented by Rob Smoughton and Sarah Jones for live performances and studio recordings. The group primarily produces music in the synth-pop and alternative dance genres, drawing influences from house and disco.

Hot Chip began as a bedroom recording project for Taylor and Goddard, who met while students at Elliott School, Putney; their earliest lineup included Smoughton as their drummer. After completing two EPs, Mexico (2001) and San Frandisco (2002), the group released their debut album, Coming on Strong (2004) and added Doyle, Clarke, and Martin to their lineup. The band’s second album, The Warning (2006), was nominated for the Mercury Prize. Their follow-up, Made in the Dark (2008), included the single “Ready for the Floor”, which was nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Dance Recording. The band have subsequently released the albums One Life Stand (2010), In Our Heads (2012), Why Make Sense? (2015), and A Bath Full of Ecstasy (2019).

Outside of Hot Chip, the band members, individually and in partnership with each other, are active in other musical acts and occasionally perform DJ sets.

If you enjoyed Hot Chip’s sound you can find more of their music on their Youtube channel.

If you are interested in hearing the original I believe it can be listened to on Spotify (sign-up required).

William Ezechukwu Onyeabor (/ɒnˈjɑːbɔː/, on-YAH-baw; 26 March 1946 – 16 January 2017) was a Nigerian funk musician and businessman.[5] His music was widely heard in Nigeria in the late 1970s and early 1980s, but he remained an enigmatic figure, private and reclusive.

Onyeabor’s songs are often heavily rhythmic and synthesized, occasionally epic in scope, with lyrics decrying war, sung by both Onyeabor himself and female backing vocalists. In the 2010s, some of his songs appeared on various compilations, most frequently his biggest hit, “Better Change Your Mind”, which appeared on Africa 100, World Psychedelic Classics 3: Love’s a Real Thing – The Funky Fuzzy Sounds of West Africa,[6][7] and Nigeria 70: The Definitive Story of 1970’s Funky Lagos,[8] through labels such as Luaka Bop.

Lyrics (genius):

I want to realize, man
The way I feel in me (how do you feel?)
I want to realize, women
I’m going to explode
(You mean you’re gonna to explode?)
I’m going to explode, watch out
I’m going to explode
Like atomic bomb
Atomic bomb
Atomic bomb
Atomic bomb
Atomic bomb

Atomic bomb
Atomic bomb
Atomic bomb
Atomic bomb

Atomic bomb
Atomic bomb
Atomic bomb
Atomic bomb

I want to realize, oh man
The way I feel in me, how do you feel?
I want to realize women
I’m going to explode
(You mean you’re going to explode?)
I’m going to explode
I’m going to explode
Like atomic bomb
Atomic bomb
Atomic bomb
Atomic bomb
Atomic bomb

Perhaps about orgasms? But, in my mind, it can be interpreted in different ways; frustration and anger, and at times overwhelming emotions;

When we are trying to communicate something, an idea, a question and/or our feelings to a loved one, or to members of our community, and we feel we are not listened to, shut down because of close-mindedness and/or a biased knowledge. Or perhaps even an instilled frustration against us. These mentioned obstacles can take a long time to overcome.

Through my life, I have learned that the solution to overcoming said barriers is to instill in ourselves an open-mindedness, a compassion, a sense of fellowship and an understanding of what it means to be human. To be aware that what others are going through contain a lot of what we have perhaps already gone through, in the past and probably even the times to come. To allow and help others to unfold and grow and to find their way on these similar paths which we all share. It takes a long time to master, I myself have a long way to go. To let the wave pass over myself instead of riding it. It is a good goal.

It seems, in the end, us humans are not all that different.

Enjoy.

1 Like

Friday calls for some seriously psychedelic electronica. Here’s Craven Faults with Eller Ghyll (YouTube) . WARNING: do not listen while operating heavy machinery.

3 Likes

Whoa! :crazy_face: ! :+1: Good morning :wink:

2 Likes

‘Find No Enemy’ A beautiful 2011 track by Akala in his younger days…he went on to write a very impactful book published in 2018 called ‘Natives - Race and Class in the Ruins of Empire’ a highly informative, deeply insightful, well written and researched text…but back to this track - ‘Find No Enemy’. Beautiful…

1 Like

Yay! It is Friday, not that that makes much of a difference these days :joy:

No time for a write up today so I will just drop this here… Crimewave (soundcloud) by Crystal Castles

8-bits sounds taken off old video game consoles and musicalified up with a drummer and singer…

Enjoy.

1 Like

Back to basics, @JPL.

3 Likes

Ooo nice choice @Sascha! Love it. :clap: :clap:

Here is a remix by Paul Kalkbrenner that I like a lot too Feed Your Head (soundcloud)

1 Like

It’s not bad. But I prefer the original. And the girl is pretty too… (in a very wholesome way) :slight_smile:

1 Like

I should have posted the music video really… It is a three part story, each track different. The main actor always reminded me of @frabrunelle :wink: I really like the story and the main actor’s character, so innocent.

Episode 1: (“Cloudrider”)

Episode 2: (“Mothertrucker”)

Episode 3: (Feed Your Head)

2 Likes

The Legendary Peter Tosh.
I’ve heard this song nominated as the anthem for 2020

2 Likes

She Wants Revenge

Track “Big Love”

Track “Sugar”

Live Track “Tear You Apart”

(All links go to Soundcloud)

Enjoy.

2 Likes

Thanks! I like your taste in videos too.

1 Like
2 Likes

Extension Rebellion! Dedicated to the continuing impact of lockdown.

‘Jobseeker’ by the brilliant Sleaford Mods…please excuse the channel stamp…