Music of the day

In hard and good times music is one of my freedoms, my escape from myself. Receiving feelings from joy to sadness, from laughter to tears, it can be quite a rollercoaster ride. But, the emotions make me feel alive and develop inside a deep appreciation of what it is to be human.

To those that have left us, those that are and those that will be.

Starting this thread off right I present to you the great Scottish Gaelic singer Flora MacNeil(wiki), may she rest in peace.

Flora MacNeil, MBE (6 October 1928 – 15 May 2015)[1] was a Scottish Gaelic singer. Originally discovered by Alan Lomax and Hamish Henderson during the early 1950s, she continued to perform into her later years.

Singing on this track: Alasda mhic cholla ghasda.

Lyrics:

Capercaillie
Sidewaulk
Alasdair Mhic Cholla Ghasda
Alasdair Mhic o ho
Cholla Ghasda
As do laimh-s’ gun o ho
Earbainn tapaidh trom eile
Chall eile bho chall a ho ro
Chall eile bho chall a ho ro
Chall eile huraibh i chall a ho ro
‘S haoi o ho trom eile
As do laimh-s’ gun o ho
Earbainn tapaidh o ho
Mharbhadh Tighearna o ho
Ach-nam-Breac leat trom eile
'S ged 's beag mi fhein o ho
Bhuail mi ploc air o ho
Chuala mi’n de o ho
Sgeul nach b’ait leam trom eile
Chuala mi’n de o ho
Sgeul nach b’ait leam o ho
Glaschu a bhith o ho
Dol 'na lasair trom eile
Glaschu a bhith o ho
Dol 'na lasair o ho
'S Obair-Dheathain o ho
'N deidh a chreachadh trom eile

English translation (seems to not be finished):

Alasdair, Son of Gallant Coll
Alasdair, son of exile Cholla
In your hand I would entrust deeds
The Lord of Ach-nam-breac would be
Killed by you
He would be buried at the edge of the loch
And although I would get a bow
I heard yesterday a sad story
That Glasgow was going down
And Aberdeen is being pillaged

Growing up listening to Flora and her women jamming on my cassette player is a fond memory.

EDIT: This tape (Spotify) to be exact and to me is an absolute blast! (Track One “the silver whistle”, I would have linked this tape originally but just found it)

Enjoy.

2 Likes

Ñu (wiki):

A nomad of modern times, who has travelled the continents with his music, Nu is as diverse in his musical styles as he is welltravelled.

Taking influences from his various homes, the producer and trained sound engineer branched out into various genres. Through this years-long musical journey Nu then found his true calling: instrumentals amalgamated with his electronic production all held together through solid rhythms.

Track: Man O Tu

Lyrics (a poem by the great Rumi (wiki), may he rest in peace):

Original:

khonak an dam ke neshinim dar eyvan, man o to
be do naghsho be do soorat, be yeki jan, man o to
khosh o faregh ze khorafat-e-parishan, man o to
man o to, bi man o to, jam’ shavim az sar-e-zogh

English translation:

A moment of happiness, when we sit
On the verandah, me and you
With two figures, and two faces
With one life, me and you
Happy and free from
Distracting myths, me and you
Me and you, me and you unselfed
We will be together in delight

I really enjoy this dj’s mixes, if you feel the same you can show him some love on his Spotify channel.

Enjoy.

1 Like

Good morning,

With another day of confinement and in the spirit of the rain that is coming my way the next few days. I present to you one of my favorite composers and track: Après la pluie II (After the rain II)

Composed by René Aubry (wiki):

René Aubry is a French composer born in 1956. He is a multi-instrumentalist known for blending classical harmonies with modern instrumentation. Aubry has composed for choreographers such as Carolyn Carlson, Pina Bausch and Philippe Genty. He has also scored for films and released many of his own albums.[1]

From René’s website:

René Aubry is a multi instrumentalist and a creator of unique sound atmospheres, a lone composer who can design ambiances as well as inspired melodies with an insatiable thirst for freedom. His work radiates true originality and an unmistakable singularity.

Born in les Vosges (France) in 1956, he is an admirer of, among others, Leonard Cohen, Philip Glass and Manos Hadjidakis, and a self-taught guitarist. His meeting with Carolyn Carlson in 1978 was a turning point for his artistic career. He fell in love with Dance as an artform, with the dancer herself and became her regular composer. Inspired by her work, he composed his first pieces for Ballet.

If you like his music, please show him some love on his Youtube or Spotify channel and/or spread his music around. It is quite beautiful. I am particularly fond of acoustic guitar, I dabble a bit myself and was suprised to find out René is self-taught. It goes to show what one can acheive when we put our mind to things.

At times René’s music brings overwhelming emotions to me as much of my later childhood was being woken by my late Father’s, may he rest in peace, singing and playing of his own composed songs.

Enjoy.

3 Likes

Nice. I’ve enjoyed them all so far. They’re all quite different but share a certain quiet resilient spirit.

OK I’ll play. I’ve always loved Louisiana Blues by Muddy Waters, the way his guitar slides offset his vocal swagger. You can feel the heat, smell the diesel and taste the dust as Muddy heads back to New Orleans to change his luck around.

2 Likes

@JPL your link seems to link to another song. I think this track (Spotify) is the one you wanted.

I am new to spotify and it seems to listen people need an account. For those that dont have one here is the same track on soundcloud (no signup required I believe).

That is some great blues! Thanks for sharing @JPL

1 Like

Yeah that’s the one. Good point about Spotify. I’ll post accessible links next time. Thanks for starting the thread!

1 Like

Sometimes some songs are only available on signup platforms, so share away what moves you. Everyone has a choice to sign up or not. As you did @JPL, describing what it is that you enjoy about the track can motivate others to just dive in :smiley:

1 Like

The Sun is about to rise. A new day. As every day, today is a special day, a unique day, it shall never be experienced again, instantly, every moment a memory.

On this day I present to you an uprising opera star, Maria Zoi, a mezzo-soprano singing on this track: Thalassa plateia (souncloud),
composed by Manos Hadjidakis (wiki), may he rest in peace.

Manos Hatzidakis (also spelled Hadjidakis; Greek: Μάνος Χατζιδάκις; 23 October 1925 – 15 June 1994) was a Greek composer and theorist of Greek music, widely considered as one of the greatest Greek composers of all time. His legacy and contribution is widespread among the works of contemporary Greek music, through the second half of the 20th and into the 21st century. He was also one of the main proponents of the “Éntekhno” form of music (along with Mikis Theodorakis). In 1960, he received an Academy Award for Best Original Song for his song Never on Sunday from the film of the same name.

Maria Zoi’s website has her social media links if you would like to show her some love.

An extended bio on Maria Zoi can be found here but here is the intro:

The Greek mezzo-soprano Maria Zoi has been praised by critics “for her wide vocal range, interpretation and remarkable coloratura ability”. She began her career in Europe and has recently come to America to further develop her artistic skills. She lives in New York City where she is mentored by world renowned Met Opera bass Dimitri Kavrakos.

Original lyrics:

Thalassa platia

S’ agapo yiati mou miazis
Thalassa vathia
Mia stigmi den isichazis
Les ki echis kardia
Tin kardia mou tin mikroula tin platia

Onira trella
Pou petoun sto kyma pano
Ftanoun stin kardia
Ke ta niata mas xipname
Onira platia
Ke i pothi fterougizoun san poulia

Echo ena kaimo
Pou me troi glika ke me lioni
Echo ena kaimo
Tha ‘rtho na ston po
Adelfi mou esy thalassa pou s’ agapo

Kymata poulia
Sta taxidia sas pou pate
Ta alargina
Tin krifi mou lypi parte
Ki apo eki makria
Na mou ferete ki emena ti hara

Kymata poulia
Sta taxidia sas pou pate
Ta alargina
Tin krifi mou lypi parte
Ki apo eki makria
Na mou ferete ki emena ti hara

English translation:

Song of the endless sea / Wide Sea / Deep and Silent Sea

Deep and silent sea,
Close to you I feel protected
You are so like me
In your face I am reflected
Tell me what to do
For you know so well
My soul is restless too

Touching every shore
You belong to no one ever
Let the tempest roar
You remain and dwell forever
Secret are your ways
Do you wonder that I’d love you
All my days

You can be unkind
Where the children play
And you drown their castles in the tide
They don’t seem to mind
For they run to you and
Their arms are open wide
Teach me to be free
To be sure and strong and sea-like

Deep and shining sea
You are what I long to be like
Let the world go by
I will love you till
The silent sea runs dry

The birds have begun to sing and the Sun has risen. I am off to build.

Enjoy.

1 Like

Today, in honor of @JPL’s love for the blues, I present to you Blind Willie Johnson (wiki) singing on this track: Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground (soundcloud)

Blind Willie Johnson (January 25, 1897 – September 18, 1945) was an American gospel blues singer, guitarist and evangelist. His landmark recordings completed between 1927 and 1930—thirty songs in total—display a combination of powerful “chest voice” singing, slide guitar skills, and originality that has influenced later generations of musicians. Even though Johnson’s records sold well, as a street performer and preacher, he had little wealth in his lifetime. His life was poorly documented, but over time, music historians such as Samuel Charters have uncovered more about Johnson and his five recording sessions.

I don’t even really know how to describe the above track. Its just too deep for words. I won’t go into details here but man it seems this guy had a short hard life. If you are interested follow the wiki link above.

The track has it’s own wiki page too:

“Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground”[note 1] is a gospel blues song written and performed by American musician Blind Willie Johnson and recorded in 1927. The song is primarily an instrumental featuring Johnson’s self-taught bottleneck slide guitar and picking style accompanied by his vocalizations of humming and moaning. It has the distinction of being one of 27 samples of music included on the Voyager Golden Record, launched into space in 1977 to represent the diversity of life on Earth. The song has been highly praised and covered by numerous musicians and is featured on the soundtracks of several films.

Enjoy.

3 Likes

This morning I present to you, from the final album of Röyksopp, The Inevitable End, released November 7th, track 12, Thank You (Soundcloud).

Lyrics:

Thank you forever for the things you’ve done
Nothing could be better than to say it

Thank you forever for the things we are
Nothing is so easy as they say it is

So thank you my brother for the things you’ve done
Knowing you’ll never walk away
Like i did, you know

Thank you forever for the things we are
No one can see inside of me like you do
So thank you for the hours in the autumn sky

Brother, you will always be a part of me
and thank you for the courage when I go too far
knowing you’ll never walk away like I did (x2)

This track always reminds me to give thanks, thanks for the good times and the bad and thanks for the lessons they have taught me. Thanks for the loved ones in my life and the community around me. Thanks for the Nature that surrounds me reminding me that I am but a small part of the cycle.

A shout out, thank you, to the Safe Network community that has taught me so much about myself and is always helpful on the learning process.

And lastly but not least a special thank you to the past and present Maidsafe team that has given me hope over the years. I know I am but a small member but I believe in you and I hope that in some way I help.

Enjoy.

1 Like

And I bring you Stereolab’s vision of a future in which Asynchronous Byzantine Fault Tolerance between nodes based on Gossip protocol would be a reality: Parsec.

1 Like

Today on another rainy drizzly day I present to you a little bit of sensuality. From the album “Without My Enemy What Would I Do”, track 5: Panther (soundcloud).

Made in Heights doesn’t have a wikipedia page but their founder does:

Alexei Saba Mohajerjasbi (born December 10, 1981), better known by his stage name Sabzi , is a hip hop producer and DJ from Seattle, Washington, who is currently based in Los Angeles, California.[1] He is a founding member of indie hip hop groups Blue Scholars, Common Market and Made In Heights.[2]

Lyrics:

[Chorus]
Feel you get closer now
Closer than you’ve been
But I need you in my arms, my eyes, my soul
My sunlit skies
Yeah, I need you in my arms now
Closer than you’ve been
I need you in my life, my eyes, my soul
My sunlit skies

[Verse 1]
Just a quick wick, summer flame, burnin’ in the glass
Gotta dig down low to stay lit
Crazy can’t stay long and you wanna move fast but
Good things take wit
Gimme your devotion, baby
And we’ll set the charms that thrill me so good
Feel the race of our hearts strip the paint from the cars
Steady as we move
Don’t got money on my mind,
go and search my thoughts
Only green on my riverbanks
Throw my pennies on your line to fill you up
Pour my love down to make it rain

[Pre-Chorus]
'Cause I need you in my arms, my eyes, my soul
My sunlit skies
Yeah, I need you in my arms (Ooh, oh-oh-oh)

[Chorus]
Feel you get closer now
Much closer than you’ve been
My sunlit skies
Closer than you’ve been
My sunlit skies

[Instrumental Bridge]

[Verse 2]
Got nobody on my mind, go and search my thoughts
Only you on my riverbanks
Throw my hours on your line, no need to rush
Pour my love down to make it rain

[Pre-Chorus]
'Cause I need you in my arms, my eyes, my soul
My sunlit skies
Yeah, I need you in my arms (Ooh, ooh-oh-oh)

[Chorus]
Feel you get closer now
Much closer than you’ve been
My sunlit skies
Closer than you’ve been
My sunlit skies
I need you in my arms

If you enjoyed this track they have many other good ones, check out their website and show them and spread the love.

Enjoy.

1 Like

Today we have from the album “What You See” released March 24th 2017, track 3: Empty Note (soundcloud) by Ghostly Kisses (last.fm)

Ghostly Kisses is the dreamy pop music of singer songwriter Margaux Sauvé.

The name ‘Ghostly Kisses’ was inspired from reading William Faulkner’s poem ‘Une ballade des dames perdues’ and seemed like the perfect reflection of her ethereal voice.

Music Video (Youtube)

Lyrics:

How could I ever know you?
When everything lies in disguise
How could I ever forget?
Those eyes looking for my weal

How could I ever know more?
When everything is held by threat
How could I ever feel you?
Once again, without losing my mind

Oh empty note
Shadows of my past
Made it to the end

Oh empty note
Shadows of my past
Made it to the end

How could I ever know you?
When you are miles and miles away
How could I forgive myself?
How blind and scared I was

Oh empty note
Shadows of my past
Made it to the end…

Ghostly Kisses’ website.

Enjoy.

1 Like

Nice - reminds me a little of this classic Roads by Portishead (Soundcloud)

1 Like

Ahah, you beat me to it ;). Actually was listening to that one yesterday, classic.

“Roads” is track 8 from Portishead’s album “Dummy” – the band’s debut studio album. The tracks “Roads” and “Strangers” (from the same album) were used in the soundtrack of the film Nadja. “Roads” also appeared on the soundtrack of the film Tank Girl.

Wiki:

Portishead are an English band formed in 1991 in Bristol. They are often considered one of the pioneers of trip hop music. The band is named after the nearby town of the same name, eight miles west of Bristol, along the coast.[9] Portishead consists of Geoff Barrow, Beth Gibbons and Adrian Utley, while sometimes citing a fourth member, Dave McDonald, an engineer on their first records.[10][11]

Band’s website

Lyrics: (seems they messed up the order on the source so i corrected it)

Verse 1
Storm in the morning light
I feel, no more can I say
Frozen to myself
I got nobody on my side
And surely that ain’t right
Surely that ain’t right

Chorus
How can it feel this wrong?
From this moment
How can it feel this wrong?

Verse 2
Oh
Can’t anybody see
We’ve got a war to fight
Never find our way
Regardless of what they say

Verse 1

Chorus

Chorus

Verse 1

Chorus

Nice choice @JPL.

Good Morning.

Today we have N’to (partyflock) mixing on this track Time (soundcloud).

N’to was born in Marseille in 1985. His love story with music started in his early childhood with his parents icons. He started learning guitar when he was ten years old and could never give up making music since then.
After beeing a 70’s rock lover for years, one day, he discovered something he never heard before, that was Underworld (everything everything). This masterpiece of techno music opened him to techno and electronic musics. Since 2004 N’to produces his own electro music, while he never stopped making all other kinds of music.
Influenced by minimal and techno artists such as James Holden, Extrawelt and Stephan Bodzin, his electronic working is recognizable by his using of smoothy melodies surrounded by efficient minimal rhythms…

I have shared this track with coders before and if it was their style it quickly became one of their favorites to listen to while coding.

Enjoy.

1 Like

Well, since you mention 70s rock lets speed things up for the weekend. Deep Purple was the first band I was heavily into. I memorised the guitar solos note for note. I can still remember them now and even play one or two (badly). But this one is all about Ian Paice’s drumming: Fireball (Youtube)

1 Like

Nice. The 6 year old and I just had a nice head banging dance session. Good times. Thanks.

2 Likes

Glad to be of service!

1 Like

Today, to get myself out of all the confusion I have surrounding current world affairs. I am trying to live in the moment and enjoy each precious moment. So, I present Nicholas Jaar (wiki) mixing on this track: “Let’s Live for today” (soundcloud)

Nicolas Jaar (born January 10, 1990)[1] is a Chilean-American composer and recording artist based in New York. Among his notable works are the albums Space Is Only Noise (2011), Pomegranates (2015) and Sirens (2016). He is known in the club world for his various dance 12" EPs he put out from 2008 to 2011. Since his first album, he has embarked on more explorative directions, performing a five-hour improvisational concert at PS1[2] and releasing a large volume of experimental recordings through his label, Other People, including works by like-minded artists Lydia Lunch, William Basinski, and Lucretia Dalt. In 2015, he scored Jacques Audiard’s Dheepan (winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes 2015).[3]

Lyrics (Lyricsfreak):

One, two, three, four!

Sha la la la la la live for today
And don’t worry 'bout tomorrow, hey
Live for today

We were never meant to worry
The way that people do
And I don’t mean to hurry
As long as I’m with you

We’ll take it nice and easy
And use my simple plan
You’ll be my lovin’ woman
I’ll be your lovin’ man
We’ll take the most from living
Have pleasure while we can

Two, three, four!

Live for today

Baby, I need to feel you inside of me
I got to feel you deep inside of me
Baby, please come close to me
I got to have you now, please, please
Please, gimme some a-lovin’
Gotta gimme some a-lovin’
Baby, gimme some a-lovin’

Gimme some a-lovin’
Got to have all your lovin’
Gimme some a-lovin’
I need all your lovin’
Gimme some a-lovin’
Now I need all your loving

Oh, no, no, no, no, no
Oh, live for today

Live for today

Fade out…

Popularised and translated by The Grass Roots (wiki) on this track (soundcloud) from the original track (soundcloud) “Piangi Con Me” (wiki) by the english band expatriated to Italy “The Rokes” (wiki).

Jaar’s website.

My wife and I made this our “anthem” a while back as it reminds us to love and not get distracted by worries and continuous daily affairs.

Enjoy.