Message: there is no reactor running, must be called from the context of a Tokio 1.x runtime

I havent seen that error before

I must have done something stupid.
Trying to run the latest on a cloud instance. I even did a rustup to ensure it wasnt an old rust version.

stable-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu updated - rustc 1.67.1 (d5a82bbd2 2023-02-07) (from rustc 1.65.0 (897e37553 2022-11-02))

info: cleaning up downloads & tmp directories
willie@safe-micro-01:~/.safe/node$ ./sn_node --clear-data --first 
The application panicked (crashed).
Message:  there is no reactor running, must be called from the context of a Tokio 1.x runtime
Location: /home/willie/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823/tokio-1.24.2/src/fs/mod.rs:137

Backtrace omitted. Run with RUST_BACKTRACE=1 environment variable to display it.
Run with RUST_BACKTRACE=full to include source snippets.

Looks like the main function does not have the tokio decoration to run a reactor there. Not sure how this can be possible though unless some code was deleted. But maybe just a really spurious startup failure.

I’ll see if it is repeatable on the local box.

Got this late last night on a Hetzner instance and then the same an hour or so ago. I took a snapshot and deleted the server so I’ll resurrect on a couple of other instances and see what happens

EDIT: I get the same from home

willie@gagarin:~/projects/maidsafe/safe_network$ PATH=$PATH:~/.safe/node
willie@gagarin:~/projects/maidsafe/safe_network$ sn_node --clear-data --first 
The application panicked (crashed).
Message:  there is no reactor running, must be called from the context of a Tokio 1.x runtime
Location: /home/willie/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823/tokio-1.24.2/src/fs/mod.rs:137

Backtrace omitted. Run with RUST_BACKTRACE=1 environment variable to display it.
Run with RUST_BACKTRACE=full to include source snippets.

Have I misunderstood the changes to safe node and sn_node?

I want to run a single genesis node from a Hetzner instance and then connect other nodes to that bith from home and from other cloud instances.
TBH I really just wanted to get a valid network contacts file that I could share via a gist and then call in a script --see Introducing The 3S! - #3 by SmoothOperatorGR

I am not sure what’s happening there. I would need ot check the code out to try and work it out but I don’t think all the changes for node-.sn-node are in place just yet

2 Likes

I will look at it all again later - famliy has just arrived for dinner

Seemed to work OK if I tried without --clear-data but that needs checking

1 Like

It seems like I’ve seen that sort of error before when there was a mis-match between tokio used by the binary vs that used by a library/crate.

edit: see this discussion.

It could also be an actual code error. If above link doesn’t help, try googling the error message. There are a few stackoverflow discussions about it.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.