Mesh - Technology exists for everyone in the world to have high-bandwidth communications

Not sure if this is still the situation as it’s a ruling from 2007

FCC Rules on FOSS and Software-Defined Radio

2 Likes

Ive such admiration for Nvidia. Their Tegra K1 their grid service, surviving defiance of Intel. And now this!

FCC didnt bar but tried to say open source was less secure. Less secure as harder for NSA to manipulate. Issue is similar to long distance scam vs Skype. Obsolete industry wont simply be able to cite its ROI to keep sponsor censorship alive. Wont be as easy for them to use bribery to restrict it as it has been in some corrupt municipalities to use payaola to block public interest municiple wireless.

You’ll love this:

Samsung Electronics announced the development of its 60GHz Wi-Fi technology that enables data transmission speeds of up to 4.6Gbps, or 575MB per second.

Known as WirelessHD the core technology allows theoretical data rates as high as 25 Gbit/s

The WirelessHD specification has provisions for content encryption via Digital Transmission Content Protection (DTCP) as well as provisions for network management.

DTCP, is a digital rights management (DRM) technology that aims to restrict “digital home” technologies including DVD players and televisions by encrypting interconnections between devices. In theory this allows the content to be distributed through other devices such as personal computers or portable media players, if they also implement the DTCP standards.

Over to you ZZ

3 Likes

Federal Communications Commission
Office of Engineering and Technology Laboratory Division
7435 Oakland Mills Rd
Columbia MD 21046-1609
Phone: +1-301-362-3000
Fax: +1-301-362-3290
Online: www.fcc.gov/labhelp

The FCC’s Office of Engineering & Technology says its okay to utilize
SDR WITHOUT ANY LICENSE as long as you follow Part 15 of the FCC regulations. Contact them, as they are EXTRA COOL!

They’ll simply tell you what you can and CAN’T do with SDR within the USA. Period! The benefit in doing SDR within the USA is that the FCC rules/regulations DOES allow you to explore. It’s a + in my book!
Contact them yourself! :smiley:

1 Like

While this it TOTALLY cool, the problem with " New Technology " usually requires all users to " Purchase New Hardware". And I believe that to be the case per the article posted above: "“New and innovative changes await Samsung’s next-generation devices, while new possibilities have been opened up for the future development of Wi-Fi technology.”

What we’re about are 1 device that can transmit/receive on as WIDE a Band of the “Electromagnetic Spectrum” as possible:

HandHeldSDR RF Frequency Range
The HandHeldSDR will be available shortly for purchase WITHIN Human Being Price Range! :smile:

As I was just made aware of this OUTSTANDING project within the last 20 minutes, and due to the Wideband 33Mhz - 4.4Ghz range of the HandHeldSDR, all that is left is for people interested in getting to 2 working together could be extra interesting indeed!

1 Like

Funny that supply side content protection scheme may be used to protect people. But massive numbers from that Samsung SDR. Maybe even the people at Samsung dont like being spied on. Note the sparks between Samsung and Nvidia.

Thanks, might be helpful for @scratchy …I’m in Australia myself

1 Like

Ok, that’s you Martin…didn’t make the connection.

I will email you again with a paste of this reply, to find out the goals of your project and include the HandHeldSDR in the OP

I need to understand how the author (no contact from him yet) in the OP came up with the idea of:

The result is profound – by ditching wireless service companies we gain a one thousand fold increase in wireless bandwidth!

That’s the question I would be asking you…how is that possible with SDR, I have no idea how he came up with that…like a ‘mobile ad-hoc mesh’ but you have to have transceivers to achieve that…which to me could only be mobile phones themselves.

For me it’s understanding what ProjectSAFE is about and working backwards to solutions that enable an underlying radio mesh

If you imagine a world with no servers on the public internet within 10 years…that’s the infrastructure goal of ProjectSAFE. The goals on the humanity side are mind blowing.

My point with the Samsung WirelessHD was to highlight how the crazies are trying to entrap us with DRM everywhere basically, whilst wrapping it up in technological breakthroughs…sort of like the dialectic liberty/security lie.

2 Likes

Chris,

Software Defined Radio allows you to NOT have to depend on any one particular device as it can become ANY other Wireless device by simply running software.

Today, everyone reading this is utilizing what are called " Hardware Radios " where you can’t change a TV, or a AM/FM radio into another wireless device.

This is what Software Defined Radio offers which is FAR greater than what we are experiencing now.

2 Likes

Totally understand that concept and part of planned obsolesce I’d think

A couple of recent examples I can find are the NVIDEA i500 using the acquired Icera ‘Adaptive Wireless’…which is included in the Blackphone the SDR modem uses well over a million lines of code apparently. If only it was open source…there’s the Mesh right there.

This device so far meets what I’d envision from an SDR Mesh ‘Instant Ad-Hoc Micro Rugged Wireless IP Radio’ again, not open…but good to track where the tech is heading.

Without having looked into you radio as yet, I believe you utilize an Altera chip, which looks very promising on the ‘open’ side. If I can understand what they are doing, I’m guessing I can pretty much fathom what your radio is capable of?

Given the size of your radio (which is small by current standards) in a mesh network, I would see it as a kind of ‘super node’ enabling a cell of a certain size based of ground conditions.

Question: You clearly understand code and radio, do you also have a grasp on networking?

I ask this as the Maidsafe network utilizes rUDP (reliable UDP) as it’s low level transport and is currently in a v2 iteration. So the oppurtunity here is to get involved with the low level signalling area of the network as it pertains to a SDR mesh.

The inventor of Maidsafe David Irvine, goes by the handle @dirvine on here and can answer any questions you have in aligning interests.

I think the ‘Connecting the next 3 Billion’ talk you referenced was very pertinent and highlights the role of GSM in developing countries. He is another guy that would be great to present ProjectSAFE to :wink:

And of course, your latest demo:

4 Likes

@chrisfostertv “there’s the Mesh right there” and that’s pretty much the answer we’ve been looking for. If Blackphone where open we’d have it no? Still with regard to PCell, Artemis makes some of the most radical claims especially with regard to latency. And latency would be important for distributed computation uses. We’ve wondered whether a PCell type distributed load or server elements could be taken over and distributed among wireless mesh ProjectSAFE nodes and the upload made symmetric. If you look at the old whitepapers on PCell when it was called DIDO I think some light might be shed. There was a good bit of info in some of those. It may be that a K1 or a custom asic in nodes could help scale the load, and it seems it seems on the hardware side with the Black Phone (Tegra 4i vice K1) there is already one example- but with a closed source issue.

What about asking the Black Phone people to release a a completely open source SKU? Maybe they are only closed source to meet an FCC bias. I sent them an email Hopefully the price of that phone or competitors come down. Maybe its possible to wipe the phone and install another software set that would take advantage of a more ideal open OS and driver set? It seems to me that the Black Phone people have achieved the core of what the Indie phone people were attempting to achieve.

1 Like

Not sure where I got Samsung i500 from it’s the NVIDEA i500 (corrected)

Yeah so the i500 chip is closed source of course, so out of Blackphones hands…unless they have an arrangement.

Even if it was symmetric, it goes via their servers I believe.

The only other phone I know of that uses the i500 is the Wiko Wax at around 179 Euro

It’s all about the SDR chip and if it’s locked, it’s no different to any other LTE phone I’d think. The sales of the Tegra 4 phones were poor and it looks like NVIDEA are out of the phone market altogether…so that i500 is an aquisition they made that didn’t pay off. Whether they sell off the SDR chip and software?

1 Like

For sure that’s right, but when I used to read the old DIDO white papers the rhetoric started out sounding like it was describing a data center with jazzed up stuff like Juno’s Q fabric etc., then it was down to several servers and now I think whole area runs of a single Mac server and maybe a couple iCore7s. Now I know simulating a couple maxed out Mac towers on phones may not be the easiest but that is where i was wondering if the phones themselves might be able to distribute the load if the latency was low enough. And to get symmetry maybe the load is doubled so maybe there would be a minimum number of phones with present tech before the network would function. I think I saw an image of a DIDO or PCell antennae and it looks a lot like the underside of that unit you posted above or almost like an old phase array radar panel in miniature. There may also have been some tiny spikes or protrusions.

2 Likes

Came across this subreddit who are working on this.

Cheers for that, from there I have signed up for this http://hackrfblue.com/reserve-a-hackrf-blue/ interesting days ahead for sure :smiley:

I know we cant be picky at this point but I wonder if the latency in usb 2-3 is a bottle neck for distributed sdr.

wow… nice catch, since that’s a list for cheapo receivers

$7 cell phone

1 Like

I love this thread, its one of the best on the whole site.

Speaking of P-Cell it looks like Perlman got a bite with Nokia because Nokia is now saying it has 5G ready to go. But it seems AT&T and Verizon are saying the same. If you look at the Artemis site you will see the vaunted deal and see some analysis on the web saying Perlma bagged it.

For people that don’t know, what is being claimed in the case of PCell is super low power (really really low power useage at uplinks and in phones) sub milisecond latency, 50x bandwidth, with much greater spacial resolution and no crowding effect and no need for cell towers or real estate acquisitions and super cheap super super quick national build out. Also cheap backwards compatibility for phones or add ons. All of which validates what Chris was saying above about why are we paying the middle man?

It reminds me of what the natural gas companies are trying to do to solar power customers cutting the cord. But I don’t just blame puppet media and puppetized goverment I blame AT&T its management but most of all its stupid investors, same for cable investors and most of all for fossile fuel investors- they deserve to fall on their swords, no too big to fail and no socializing the losses or guaranteeing profits. If its a grandmother’s money on the line, then its the institutional investor that gets it.

But we can get rid of them the same way Skype got rid of the long distance scam and the same way their bandwidth caps are beginning to implode. We can just start to route around them.

On a positive note this is the kind of stuff needed to drive AR where you don’t yet have the power to do it all locally. This enables you to off load or balance into the cloud(their centralized point of failure solution, but leverages the data center) or the swarm/mesh … IOT.

&T

3 Likes