Marketing Initiatives

Well for one thing cause I don’t know how to do that kind of thing lol. Sure that is very valuable. I mean its hard to sell when you really have nothing good to offer. If you don’t think we are doing anything over here that’s fine. Just let us have our fun lol. I assure you we are at least trying to do something useful for the cause.

3 Likes

Think back to the early/mid 90’s when a company called AOL marketed like mad to get people to put this noisy dial up thing in there homes that could connect them to the Internet. AOL spent over $300M to do that. Telcos and tech companies like IBM, Intel, AOL/Timewarner, AT&T, etc. receive billions in government subsidies to develop and market the Internet. Companies like MaidSafe and the SAFE Network have neither the behemoth telco industry to market nor governments with seemingly bottomless pockets to subsidize adoption and development.

I don’t know how else to explain that “build it and they will come” has never been an effective marketing strategy. Even when it seems to be the case, it’s most likely because people don’t understand the often guerrilla marketing (e.g. not your standard media like TV, OOH, radio, print) that went into building awareness and promoting adoption.

At least some of us are trying to do something meaningful. Perhaps, you could build on what has been suggested…

Exactly and exactly!! Thank you @andyypants.

Appreciate the heads up. Polled about it as a few people had asked/suggested they’d participate if the loan scheme was extended. Good news seems to be that there’s more interest than I expected for donating funds/a token sale. Those methods may not raise as much as a loan, but at least could provide a place to start. Is marketing something MaidSafe would be willing to help support in some way (e.g. for every 10K MAID raised, the MaidSafe Foundation would donate 1K MAID)? No worries if that’s more of an offline conversation.

10 Likes

It would be an offline convo, but we need to help where we can.

5 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, even more so these days when everything is marketed. People see a lack of activity in this area as a sign that the organisation or product is not to be trusted.

9 Likes

However build it, prove it and tell them about it does work. I don’t see it as either or, but both, build it and also market it. I recon the former comes first though. Even if only considering it bit by bit, so market each iteration, part etc. that works.

After launch this can all change though, I accept that.

14 Likes

This would mostly be my misunderstanding and I brought it up. I felt a bit left out on such an amazing opportunity simply because everything is in cold storage and I was beaten to the punch. I know myself and others that would jump at that opportunity again and have something sizable to contribute but I am realizing now the opportunity was limited by your shares and that it’s not an applicable avenue anymore. It was a great sacrifice on your part David and I think it will make the world of difference.

Without such a scheme I think it hinders results a bit but I still think we could make a good dent to get this initiative off the ground.
Time to get creative again I suppose!

7 Likes

Yes, I wasn’t having a dig at MaidSafe. I understand why the decision was made to shelve it for the time being. Just generally supporting @sotros25’s point that the importance of marketing is often underestimated. Looking forward to it cranking up again soon.

9 Likes

In a roundabout sort of way, those who were able to take up the loan scheme may need to defend their investment via the marketing initiative on astraight donation basis. No marketing may equal a much lower price in future

2 Likes

My 0.02S.

A superior technology markets itself.

Remember Altavista and MySpace?

Not these days. Or even way back when.
Betamax - technically superior to VHS
Citroen Hydralastic suspension steering and brakes - totally and absolutely wonderful and incredibly comfortable and safe but now sadly only a footnote* And in my case a very rusty 1988 BX waiting to get restored…
There are many more , I’m sure but marketing is crucial - AFTER we have something working.
*still used on Rollers for suspension only though, but a footnote for the non stinking rich.

2 Likes

Your examples are a straw man. I’m talking about real technological superiority during a developmental epoch. The wheel, fire, iron, the arrow, steam, powered flight. SAFE is a candidate for this class of things.

2 Likes

Google may just disagree with you.

1 Like

Both were in their own way, a real advance in their fields - In their time, video was crucial as was vehicle suspension. And of arguably far more relevance to the mass of the population than a hard-to-explain advance in information security that most punters either dont understand or dont see as a priority. They are wrong on that but need to be educated/marketed at.
The engineer in me resents every penny we have to spend on marketing/ not coding, but I appreciate it is essential.
You planning on growing organically from a small coterie of well-informed geeks? Nice idea but doomed to failure. Sad but true.
We MUST get out and shout this from the rooftops

3 Likes

Some things are self-evident, even to hypnotized idiots. When SAFE is successfully validated post launch and proves itself to be a superior technology to that which already exists then news of it will spread virally at an exponential rate through the population.

It’s not quite there yet, but it has the most potential. I’m not against marketing, nor did I say it wasn’t important, just that a superior technology can embed itself within the culture and propagate itself without any assistance from it’s point of origin.

1 Like

I certainly hope so but lets not take a chance on that being the case and give it a leg up with some proper marketing

It’s a waste of money until a launch date is known. Better to spend funds on programmers, software engineers, and computer scientists imo.

5 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Ghosts of electric cars now gone

Yes, we need a product stage 1 and then market it to the world to clearly let them see what it’s potential is in the future.

1 Like

Yes. With no product its just hype