Marketing Initiatives

Not a conclusion, a suspicion. Outside, under-financed parties attempting to promote what most people consider experimental technology and doing it on an international scale using borrowed legal advice. Just seems risky to me. Many times I hope I am wrong, though, and this is one of them.

First of all, don’t say sorry when you’re not actually sorry. Number two:

2 Likes

Oh, I very much am sorry. I could have been quiet but I care about the SAFE Network and its proponents. Just trying to give honest feedback. Sorry if I offended you.

2 Likes

I also spent sometime earlier today thinking about fake apologies. I believe an apology should never be caveated with “if” because it means you don’t believe you actually caused offense. If you don’t think you’ve done anything offensive, don’t apologize. If you think either what you said was offensive or the way you said it was offensive then apologize for that outright (e.g. I’m sorry for what I said, or I’m sorry I communicated that in an offensive way). Otherwise, I have no idea what it is you’re sorry about.

You didn’t provide feedback; you just vented in an unproductive way.

Moreover, this statement can be applied to almost every NPO/NGO social initiative.

2 Likes

Not venting, I have no play in the endeavor. Like I said, just giving constructive feedback. Very much surprised at your violent reaction though. I’ll keep quiet now.

1 Like

There is nothing constructive about what you said. Constructive would have been: make sure you ask legal about x? Or typically I’ve found y to be useful in trying to deliver against the Foundations aims. Also, it’s clear that you see nothing wrong in your attitude or negativity, so this is my last response to you unless you suggest something more useful than “I think you will fail” or “you should quit”. Your negativity shouldn’t be dignified with a response.

1 Like

Sorry if I hurt your feelings but if you can’t process other people’s honest comments any more objectively and dispassionately than that, then . . .

3 Likes

I think the thing is we appreciate constructive criticism but someone in the world having a gut feeling its not gonna work doesn’t really help us move forward. We want to know how we CAN move forward if we do the right things. That might be a very narrow path we could easily fall off sure. So show us the path then. Don’t just say there’s bad things in the jungle off the path.

8 Likes

Imo, this needs to wait until launch or after and the network is running stable. Then we can get a big international law firm on board to deal with a lot of these details. Yes it will cost some big coin, but that is what is necessary for something like this. Anything short of that won’t be helpful long term.

It’s ok to get real legal on board now, but who will pay for it???, and they may have a hard time understanding the point of it when the official network hasn’t fully launched yet.

2 Likes

I hear your opinion; however, waiting till a project launches to start marketing it is often not a great strategy, especially when a product is so complex as this, requiring education, awareness building, help in testing, and support for third party app development. Moreover, the frustration around limited exchange access has been articulated here by several people, many of whom simply lose interest. Consider how promoting the aforementioned factors (e.g. awareness, testing, development, etc.) might help to accelerate the runway to launch.

While we certainly have a difference in opinion on how to help the SAFE initiative, I think another thing to consider is that should this Foundation come into existence, participation and support would be informed and voluntary. Let’s recall that a proposal was made, and a poll was issued to ask if members of this community wished to support marketing initiatives. The majority of members indicated they would like to support marketing initiatives. One of the beautiful things about distributed networks in human form is that decentralization allows for freedom in growth.

10 Likes

I think some of us just want to see the market come back to life now. Like just get back to the volumes we were seeing shortly after the MAID crowdsale. Is that as big as it will ever get? Probably no where near. It’s sure bigger then it is now though. Gotta take the baby steps first right?

What we could do with a small amount of resources is get it listed on a respectable exchange and tell people its there. This is not something that has been impossible for other coins that have much less long term promise IMO. I think we should bare minimum be able to accomplish that much at the current point of time

5 Likes

That’s fine if it evolves in an organic/crowd sourced kind of way. Once you start talking about official foundations and non profit filings the requirements to get it right go up an order of magnitude and are not to be taken lightly (which I’m sure you are already well aware.) An official foundation represents much more than just a marketing effort.

1 Like

Originally there was no intent to create any sort of Foundation. The idea was to raise money for initiatives outright. However, people voiced concerns about the legality, governance, etc. Thus, the Foundation idea was borne.

If people are donating money, where exactly would they send it? Who would oversee the dissemination of funds? In general, I think that whenever funds change hands there must be oversight, and there should be as much transparency and structure (with as little overhead) as possible. Personally, I wouldn’t be comfortable sending funds to any one individual to execute on marketing initiatives. I’d need to see a system of accountability. Something like a Foundation could provide that. If there are suggestions for other governance structures, please share them. What matters to me is that there is an efficient, transparent, accountable and legal way to execute marketing initiatives.

6 Likes

There is. It has to be done in-house with MaidSafe. I know that has already happened, but somehow, at some point, the effort needs to be renewed and, I believe, that is where the focus should be: How do we help MaidSafe start up Marketing again, at the right time.

Please don’t hurl any more missiles at me, Sotros25, my jaw is already killing me. :grinning:

1 Like

Foundation was formed 5 years after launch.

1 Like

Do note that one of the operative words in the following statement is often.

Even so Mozilla is a perfect example of why one shouldn’t delay marketing efforts. Mozilla doesn’t exactly have the type of market performance one would like to emulate.

7 Likes

In an ideal world, this would be true. There is NO SPARE CAPACITY
at Maidsafe to undertake this. 96% of the company are pure tech with one hard pressed admin person.
Therefore it is up to the community to step in and do the non tech stuff.
It’s not ideal but no reason why we should fail. Other community projects have succeeded with smaller less diverse and, dare I say it, less motivated resource bases to call on.

7 Likes

ya I think you might be barking up the wrong tree @VaCrunch … David already said they are just going to be product focused and any marketing will now be up to the community. It’s not what I would have nessesirly preferred either, but if that is the case we must try to do at least something IMO.

2 Likes

The operative phrase was “at the right time”.

It might be more productive to solicit funds to pay a marketing expert’s first six months of wages but let him/her work under the auspices of MaidSafe. That would seem much easier and probably less costly as well. It would also avoid protracted organizational efforts and legal ramifications of setting up a separate entity.