Making use of the new logo

Cool! Or maybe if you never tried LSD but wanted to know what itā€™d be like?

3 Likes

Looks pretty cool haha :smiley:

1 Like

Here it is :slight_smile:

6 Likes

God knows Iā€™m no designer, and Iā€™m slightly in awe of people who are creative in that way, but in my work I frequently deal with big tech marketing folks. For them, the company logo is a sacred object and must only be handled according to strict rules.

Mentioning no names, but letā€™s take a large and well known chipmaker. They seemingly have a whole army of logo police whose job it is to ensure that the Holy Logo is not placed dangerously close to any page edges, and that the sacred colour (letā€™s say itā€™s blue) does not clash with any other lesser blues nearby, and that it is the right size in proportion to the page font used and ā€¦ the list goes on.

Iā€™m not saying that this is a good thing. Itā€™s great that people can use their creativity in the open source tradition and take something and run with it, and a small startup is a very different beast than a tech behemoth, so of course different rules apply. (Also, these people are a pain in the arse to deal with, but thatā€™s beside the point.)

What I am saying is that this approach (i.e. strict control over branding) has been successful for them as it allows them to present a consistent and instantly recognisable face to the world, which is very useful when judgments are made subconsciously in a split second.

2 Likes

Note to all: @BambooGarden and I are working on a logo for SAFEpress, perhaps @moderators could move our posts to a new topic to avoid confusion.

2 Likes

Sure, the new topic is here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think the main difference here is that the variations are for different uses not for the SAFE Network as such. Itā€™s a beautiful thing being able to borrow and change for other projects on the network in so doing matching your identity to that of the network without fear of copyright infringement.
So if somebody sees app ABC and a logo that corresponds to the network logo the association can be made instantly (hopefully). And that I think is a good thing.

1 Like

Absolutely nothing wrong with experimenting and trying out new things, and I fully agree with your point about copyright. But ā€¦

They will only make that connection if the network logo is instantly recognisable as such. Thatā€™s my point.

Bingo! Everyone would want these APP builders to associate their products with MAIDSAFE and we all stand to gain from it being obvious these are SAFEnet appā€™s. Maidsafe wants these APP builders to continually promote the safenetwork in a clear and convincing fashion.

APP builders who want to create a new logo can also place the official logo somewhere on the frontfacing area of the app with taglines like ā€œPowering the SafeNetworkā€ . There really should be an standard that everyone uses so as to not confuse new-comers.

EDIT -

2 Likes

my apologies @BambooGarden and @happybeing I didnt realize it was a private project. Good luck

1 Like

As I mentioned yesterday the original Logo had a couple of ā€œnodesā€ that were odd sizes. Its not entirely apparent until you work with it in more detail. So the one bellow while not 100% technically perfect is a lot closer to being so. Posting for those who care about such trivial matters to use instead

6 Likes

yeah, i realized the same thing when zooming in. the same is the case for the safecoin
logo actually - itā€™s also not 100% symmetrical. iā€™d be in favor of cleaning that up now before there is widespread use of the logo.

kinda weird that the 99design guys didnā€™t get that right - isnā€™t it?

6 Likes

Yes I did notice that but was not sure if it was by design. As for 99design guys, I think itā€™s all about throwing something together real fast and hoping for the best. Seems natural if you are competing in that environment.

1 Like

Iā€™m not at my PC right now but itā€™s unlikely that measurements are inconsistent. I will dbl check when I have time simply to erase any doubts.

There is a very clear length difference between the 2 upper right arms and the lower one. Or were you refering to something else? I deleted the message you answered to before i saw yours because i thought no criticism was warranted since you even mentioned it was not perfect in the publishing message.

The not 100% comment is correct because I did not measure the angles but node to node was designed from scratch.
To save time as I was not paid Ā£850 to create the logo I cheated :smirk:
So 3 node lengths and 2 node lengths were created and then copied and pasted in place so all are identical in length unless I screwed up, more likely itā€™s an illusion.
I agree with you that it should be perfect even though I think most people will not notice the difference at the scale it will be used I am happy to build from scratch when I have the time, but Iā€™m sure there are many folk with illustrator or similar around. Iā€™m jammed for the next 10 days.

4 Likes

Would the original artist not cooperate with a little fine tuning?

Iā€™d put my money on no but who knows. Itā€™s not much effort for anybody skilled in illustrator to knock out perfectly in no time. I set out with intentions of creating a fine tuned supermaid so an improved version of the original was a byproduct not the goal.

2 Likes

Just open the picture. The two top balls on the right side donā€™t touch the right edge. The bottom ball touches.

Yes thatā€™s angles not length. :slight_smile: unless in such tight space unlikely to be noticed