Making a logo for SAFEpress

Its hard to tell out of context, colour and size. I think the ink bottle might in theory be good, but because it adds to the height would make the total glyph even smaller and so perhaps less easy to discern. I think these will all look different in grey, small and in place though so it is very hard to tell. Thanks for your efforts BTW! I appreciate this takes time - I created icons from scratch myself way back (16x16 256 colour IIRC… did a neat spider for my HTML editor. Some people didn’t like it… which I took as a compliment :slight_smile: ).

no worries, we’ll get there :slight_smile:

and here with the other quill:

5 Likes

Does in need to be square? If not, maybe maintain the integrity of the logo and make use of the divider, something like this.

4 Likes

Mmm these look better. I like the overlay on the cube best because it keeps it looking close to the SAFEnetwork cube.

I think either of those would work. I’m wondering about the colour of the quill / bottle / script. Two thoughts:

• darken the bottle/script a bit to differentiate from the quill
    and/or
  • darken the quill a little, but not too much

What do you think @BambooGarden ?

As they are I think the ink bottle works best. When I zoom them to small icon size the script virtually disappears.

1 Like

I like the bottom one best out of these four, although the line “written” by the quill probably is too thin to be noticeable on when displayed smaller than this. I’m thinking it may look better with the quill being black or a darker grey. Not sure though :slight_smile:

Either way I believe you’re making these for @happybeing so in the end it matters what he thinks about them.

1 Like

Please don’t bastardize the logo. This is not good stuff. Everyone appreciates your effort but this is terrible.

1 Like

I do indeed.

I like your first and third one a lot. I could see my apps all using a variant of it. If you feel like making one for the SafeEditor I would love it. I’m thinking maybe a big pencil icon in the middle would be perfect. No pressure though, I know these takes time and I can wait my turn. Keep it up.

6 Likes

Agree 100% and think thats pretty important. The logo is symbolic of the Safe Network and should be respected. Taking it apart and making it virtually unrecognizable is really a shame and should not be tolerated. I respect the talent here and hope these creative types will work a little harder at bringing a format that maintains “integrity” and can be used by everyone.

Sorry @BambooGarden this is not a personal attack on you. All respect intended.

Maybe we need another 99 designs contest?

2 Likes

How about leaving the node array symbol blue the way it is now and adding the color scheme of the penrose triangle this forum previously used to the quill. The red green yellow etc combo. :relaxed:

4 Likes

i like that idea actually. if we could all agree to just use the logo as it is for every instance that might even be the simplest and best way after all. the idea with the divider is great too in my opinion. but up to happybeing what he wants to use eventually.

at the moment the safepress logo is just the maidsafe triangle, which should be used less and less imo. we’re promoting the network here and not the company after all. so i think all the suggestions here are a step forward from what it is right now.

2 Likes

Apps need their own logos for an icon at the very least. All apps using the same icon would not be helpful and won’t happen.

At this stage, I think it is helpful to allude to the SAFEnetwork within branding of SAFE apps (as in the use of SAFE in app names).

Having some kind of “powered by SAFEnetwork” might also make sense in some instances - in a website for example.

I suggested the approach that @BambooGarden has been working on here because it ticks all these boxes, and I think it works well. It will be up to each app developer to decide what kind of logo and icon they want though, and I’m sure others will go their own way, probably more often than not :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@BambooGarden wasn’t “bastardizing” the logo, unless you consider any variation on the logo a bastardization. I appreciate your purist approach but shutting down the creative process really isn’t in anyone’s interest …

To state the obvious: You do not speak for everyone. The designs weren’t “terrible.” You didn’t like them. There’s a critical difference.

2 Likes

Yep. It certainly is.

Thats a real stretch to suggest Im shutting down the creative process. Keeping the logo intact so its universally recognizable is in everyones interest.

You are getting real creative here dude. Nothing I said reflects that I speak for everyone.

And BTW if you read the comments you’ll see I didnt realize this was a private logo. And I apoligized for my comments.

The logo should be respected and its a community decision if it gets modified for use on anything that would be construed as official Maidsafe property.

Im glad you like them. :wink:

Sorry man, but you’re simply wrong on all accounts.

So you consider the words “variation” and “bastardization” to be synonymous? I’ll leave you to the dictionary …

Beginning a sentence “Everyone appreciates” is by definition speaking for everyone. Not sure what to tell you …

When did I say I liked the designs? Whether or not I like them has nothing to do with my initial comment.

Sorry dude, Im not.

Lets see how far your bastardizing of the logo gets.

stop fighting kids, we’re all in the same boat here :slight_smile:

@happybeing: what do think of this one then?

I haven’t looked at it at small size (can’t now as I’m on mobile) but I prefer the ones with a section taken out of the cube because they maintain a stronger association with the cube (network logo).

The grey looks good, but I’ll have to try at small size too really tell.

Thanks for persevering!

gotcha, how bout this then:

Nice :slight_smile: - I’ll take a proper look when I get to my PC. Fingers crossed!

Yeeeesss!!! This works really well, thank you! Please let me have the svg or png and I’ll update the website and twitter account right away :slight_smile: