MaidSafe's SAFE network Vs ZeroNet, FIGHT!

https://zeroproxy.atomike.ninja/15YnwLhTxf5yTxXfF2KV2QS9cGjoyfLgbC/?Post:3

8 Likes

“The last thing that I should mention is the quirky community surrounding SAFE. In the forums, you will find discussions that are, how should I put it, like a plan from the A-Team. You find tons of these huge thought through plans by forum members to discuss possible future projects. It all looks very professional, very technical, it feels like the forum community is Silicon Valley and there are all these little startups with spreadsheets and powerpoint presentations and crowdfunding, lots of crowdfunding, crowdfund all the things! I can’t really explain it, you have to see it for yourself. My guess is, since these people have followed and wanted SAFE for so long, but since there just wasn’t anything for them to do because it doesn’t exist yet, they had to let their mind wander and just fantasize with intricate detail about the things they want to see once SAFE actually exists. I’m not saying this is bad or good by the way, I just thought it’s worth mentioning it, because it is very different from anything I’ve seen before. Some people will love this, will love the enthusiasm, others will think it’s a bit crazy. You’ve been warned ;)”

LOL

:wink:

17 Likes

I think the article is actually pretty fair with its content. We do love us some crowdfunding :wink:

9 Likes

Yes nice article, I don’t have time to check out other projects as much as I would like and this is a very cool unbiased look. Very refreshing and interesting. I am glad folks see this community as they are, that’s also an encouragement as it’s the community that will make this project for sure. Maidsafe will try hard but the community are vital as far as I am concerned.

Here’s to all the crazy ones, The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules !

for sure, stay crazy :wink: It’s where the fun and innovations are.

32 Likes

Quite interesting. I wonder if it would be possible to create a safenet outproxy through zeronet such that anyone on the normal web could access safenet sites. Understanding that any outproxy would be a central computer somewhere that might be attackable.

Zeronet seems very lightweight, with no incentive model and its (optional) anonymity provided by Tor. And, as far as I could tell, the data that you would be caching for other users is unencrypted! It’s just for mischievous kids.

2 Likes

The content is public. What’s the point of encrypting it?

Edit: and lightweight it is. No installation, just download and run! Works in any standard browser, proxy gateways are available on the Web so you don’t even need to install it.
Incentives: some want to have it both ways; when someone says they expect farming rewards to be low, they say it’s not that important to get ROI. Now here it is other project that offers no incentives.

It does things differently. It doesn’t mean it’s better or worse.

2 Likes

Can I just mention that the ZeroNet website looks gorgeous?

4 Likes

Communities are born out of the same things that give rise to friendship in personal life - shared vision, respect, affection, empathy, amusement etc.

When one talks about the strength of a community and the ability for it to attract more people, what one really means is that the people in it have strong bonds, are enthusiastic and like to share that enthusiasm.

The rate at which I have formed new friendships in this forum has astonished me. The amount of time I spend here and the number of people I tell about safenet has driven my poor wife to distraction, frustration and boredom.

What we have here is evangelical support and a sense of family… with all the impassioned bickering and in-fighting that goes with it. :wink: This is a recipe for something epic imo!

7 Likes

My unstated point was that, as a result of those limitations, it is only for a small minority of SAFE’s potential users: people who require neither privacy nor anonymity!

1 Like

There could be nothing worse than being in the game and no one knows you’re in the game. A worthwhile mention and testimonial to SAFE. Thats QQuirky with a double Q.

3 Likes

Thank you David. This is one of my favorite quotes and it means a lot coming from you. The last sentence hits me the most because I see how our society creates criminals by creating all these laws and rules. Let’s shatter thru all these rules and go back to common courtesy like please and thank you and treating others like you would want to be treated and everything else will fall into place.

I see how many of us do this in this wonderful community which is one of the reasons I keep coming back.

Check out the full quote:

“Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

― Rob Siltanen

Go Maidsafe!

5 Likes

I have yet to see a project as broad in scope and as deep in its core objectives/deliverables as maidsafe (claims) to be. Zeronet is not an exception to this. Storj, Sia, and now Zeronet. Good look to them, but here’s to hoping they don’t (or they do :smile: ) get blown out of the water by safe and forgotten completely.

1 Like

I think the weakest part of zeronet is that you download the files (unencrypted it seems) locally.

This could lead to tons of malicious software not to mention bloat of your computer…imaging if I was to browse a video site such as youtube…would I need to download all the videos on the page locally? that sounds a bit implausible…

I think the weakest part of zeronet is that you download the files (unencrypted it seems) locally.
This could lead to tons of malicious software not to mention bloat of your computer

One more time: what does (un)encrypted have to do with malware? And bloat?

imagine if I was to browse a video site such as youtube…would I need to download all the videos on the page locally? that sounds a bit implausible…

Yes it does sound implausible, and because of that that’s not how Zeronet works.

Downloading the files will lead to bloat…not the fact that they are unencrypted.
Downloading the files can also lead to malware

the fact that they are not encrypted is a second unrelated issue. Sorry if that was not clear.

That is why I phrased it as a question, I was not certain how Zeronet works and thought that would be a bit ridiculous if that was indeed the case, which it appears it is not. I will have to dig a little deeper into their structure and operation then I suppose. Thanks for clarifying.

With Zeronet you download files from sites which you visit. And you can set the limit to file size on those sites so even if you visit site A, you won’t automatically download (and seed) files larger than X MB in size or more than the Y number of them (which, by the way, some other projects don’t let you do).

You don’t download any other content except the generic community “getting started home page” of sorts (and you can change that page).

And malware is a non issue, standard browser plugins for malware, AdBlock and other work with Zeronet, as well as any antivirus software which intercepts files before they are open or even saved to disk.

1 Like

Lol…and to you too good Sir… (raises glass)…Cheers :smile:

2 Likes