MaidSafeCoin (MAID) - Price & Trading topic (Part 1)

This is exactly what MAID was made for though, a proxy token to buy in place of the real deal. Its like we pre-ordered a video game, we are still waiting on the game to release :slight_smile: . This coins only purpose is to convert/burn to SAFE once network is ready. I am sure it may also have some uses to acquire test safecoin during early candidate phases too.

6 Likes

@andyypants you’ll find there’s minimal interest in these parts for pushing the price or notoriety of the placeholder token even in the medium term.

I understand that can come across as nonsensical and completely at odds with what your used to seeing (whether that’s in your trading shoes or as member of the wider Crypto movement of the last couple of years).

Thing is this project is in <6 months approaching a very critical stage. It is (we all are hoping) at a technical level going to to demonstrate the basic core concept (or framework if you like) for an Autonomous Data and Communications Network.

This has enormous implications (globally and unlike any other crypto or current software project inc. Lightning), but I guess a bit like a Tidal Wave you have to wait a little while after the earth shifts for the wider audience to see the event take place.

Trying not to speak for others but there are still at least 3 big pieces beyond Fleming that need to be rolled out restarts/upgrades, the farming algorithm and then Testsafecoin.

These will all take time because they have to be done right. Even if it exceeds all our best guesses wrt timeframes and requires VC so be it, there can be no compromise to the networks security or longevity, not even one!

Until those steps pop up on the radar the network remains ‘under construction’ so to speak and there won’t be much assistance from the wider Community and Maidsafe in pumping or pushing the token out there on anything other than its own merits.

A bunch of folk get their back up at this or fall back on thinking most of us here are a bunch of deluded idealistic dreamers but it’s actually a lot simpler than that.

The Community here from what I’ve observed know what’s at play with this project and the mind bending potential it will open up for pretty much every corner of the Planet.

No, it’s absolutely no guarantee of any end result in our favour but the long term outcome if Maidsafe succeed is equally mind bending.

With that in mind short to mid term relevance as you mention you’d like to see for MAID is relative when you think about it.

I’m reasonably confident over the next few years we are going to be narrowed down to only a very small group of projects that become ‘the winners’. Short or mid term relevance as you hope for is only going to have minimal impact at best on that future.

Something to chew on I guess.

15 Likes

Wow this is very interesting. Thanks for passing along.

Just remember this was a potential scenario and not guaranteed

I feel like it can be the only answer. Any other scenario would be Maidsafe playing god by assuming, “This is it. Everything works perfectly except for this single lacking semicolon! This is the final tweak of the code that only we know will be the ultimate global autonomous data etc. network… public be damned! Muahaha.” The hard part will be D. Irvine sitting in the world’s most thinking Thinking Chair, mulling over any possibilities overlooked beyond the seemingly “perfect” working product, feeling that everything seems implemented, thus pressing the reset button that deletes everyone’s testsafecoins/data—in order for real Safecoin to be given to IPO holders. (edit: and everyone else who bought from them, haha.)

I wonder… at that point… wouldn’t there have to be "Safecoin-testsafecoin"s, just to make sure that pressing the one-time only reset button itself works properly? And then release that same Network, but with the tiniest code modification, that allows for actualSafecoin, whose code cannot possibly be messed up upon modification?

Apologies if this adds confusion; just what my puny brain is considering without possible full details. Maybe it even contradicts my first paragraph. But the whole reset button to erase the mulled-over-to-be-perfect Network’s testsafecoins to be replaced with real Safecoins has to be perfected, too.

(I feel like I just created a logic loop, though. After all, the concept of risky single-word-code-replacement is present in my 2nd paragraph. Yet my 1st paragraph makes fun of that idea. It seems like a hope and pray that you don’t mess up all your investors’ coins situation no matter how you slice it, like releasing the final ‘definitely won’t crash’ rocket after making the tiniest feasible “human modification that can’t possibly go wrong… right?”)

1 Like

Thing is there used to be way more investors when this was just past the ICO and still mostly just good ideas but little implementation. I don’t doubt when we reach full implementation people will come back in even bigger numbers. In the middle though, there is a huge sag. It doesn’t make a lot of sense to me because now you are buying like a chassis and engine of a car whereas before you were buying like a pile of random metal. Clearly the former is not a finished car, but you think it would be more valuable then just a pile of materials that was not even a half finished car :stuck_out_tongue:

What really worries me is that exchanges will drop MAID because we spend too long in this sag for it to be worth it for them to keep it listed. We already lost trex. Maybe after finial safecoin can get added to trex I suppose. It would be way better if they never delisted MAID though, and when final hits its just a token swap not a debate over adding a whole new coin.

well that’s one way to put it. What I see is that MAID is not appealing to a wider community that it could. It’s only attractive to truly crazy people right now that are willing to pursue a big dream. I just wish we could get it to go in the basket when traders are doing their daily shopping ya know… loaf of bread, cheese, dogecoin and MAID… things I might need this week! And yes to do that we need a better pitch then this will be huge in like 5 years. We need to create reasons you want some MAID in the now and don’t see it as a big opportunity cost because there is immediate use for it.

Ideas to make this happen:
1)testsafecoin swap - already discussed
2)some kind of market on these forums where you can trade second hand external hard drives or stuff we might consider future network resources
3)twitter tip bot - This can be really powerful like “hey I want you to look at this idea and here’s 100 MAID for your efforts” Amazing cost/benefit if used skillfully.
4)Some kind of badge you get on these forums that gets all the more shiny and stand-out depending on how much MAID you are willing to burn
5)A futures market on events related to the safe network like when will Fleming be released or how many nodes will join by X date.
6)Doge it- We aren’t really doing anything we are just gonna make memes and have a mascot and get peoples attention on crypto twitter
7)other block chains- we can piggy back on other blockchains success by making a way to port MAID to there. They were successful finding a way to store DOGE on the ETH chain so I know this is possible and I know it made DOGE pump like mad and it still hasn’t came back down to former floors
8)referral system- refer a friend and get some small amount of MAID as a reward if they then buy a large amount
9)App development DAO- that’s pretty self explanatory… you buy share’s in a DAO for MAID and how much you buy determines your voting power in allocating these resources to app developers.

So there’s some ideas I had personally. I am just 1 man and not the most creative of this group I wager though. I am sure there’s more/better ones that have yet to be discovered. I know some of them are no where near fully developed, and some might just be unworkable, but at least they are like half way there (like the safe network!)

What are you trying to achieve? Real question because we don’t see a clear statement of that and already some have assumed you are a trader trying to trade. Note I said some and assumed as evidenced by some replies.

1. testsafecoin cannot exist till the network supports it. So nothing and absolutely nothing can be done till then. You simply cannot have testsafecoin apart from the network and don’t expect anything till first beta. And then they are fleeting in that each time the network is reset your testsafecoin will potentially be gone too. That is they are no good for real trading.
  • MAID is already on the blockchain so senseless to have testsafecoin as a blockchain coin.
  1. You still need to post these drives so fiat is involved anyhow. My guess is that people probably want to use fiat or they will send MAID as they would do now. This is not really the time for drive trading since it will be in late betas (release candidates) that we will even have an idea of what size drives will be best.
  2. You can do this if you want. Get the bot written and find people willing to engage.
  3. From past experiences with “badges” on the forum I am unsure how well that would work. Maidsafe even wanted to recognise outstanding community members every month and it seems that people did not want to be placing certain members above others. I got the impression we all saw ourselves as equals.
  4. A futures market might be an idea, except that brings in the dreaded word “securities” and potential problems surrounding that. Even if its just a private thing, calling it that will cause problems down the track because then the whole of MAID coin will be labelled as a security. (in my opinion)
  5. Not sure what you meant here, but doing things that raise awareness is a good thing, remembering this is long term and things that raise awareness should be long sighted since that what the project is. Appropriate things for the particular project.
  6. MAID is a token to be exchanged for safecoin, not sure what you are trying to achieve here. Sounds like any other blockchain for the sake of having a blockchain coin to make money off.
  7. I cannot speak for everyone but I know many here refer friends without the need for any reward.
  8. We have the CEP. On hold for the moment but I’m sure once Fleming is out of the way then there might be some more projects (APPs)

I am sorry if I sound like a stick in the mud, but you have to remember that most here do not see MAID as a way to make more money by trading etc. But as a way to have safecoin in the future. Be it for buying network resources, buying goods in SAFE economy, trading safecoin when its worth something, or a combination of these things.

Basically its a long term project and people are accumulating for the most part and while some may get sick of holding and sell, they I think are in the minority now.

I would not be surprised if most of the coin is now held by a lot more than the original ICO. Also the amount of coin available for sale is a lot less than 2 years ago, eventually when the last of the big sellers has too little coin for trading they will sell down or hold. At some stage there will be a shortage of MAID and you know what happens then.

The bottom line is that this is a long term project and is unlike ALL blockchain coins because of that

• its a real project with far reaching consequences
  • it is not going to be done in 3 months like most blockchain coins were
  • it was not created for the trading of coins.
  • etc

As such it does not follow the same paths as blockchain coins and to apply their reasoning and methods without considering the nature of the project will see failure of that attempt as we’ve seen here a few times already. And is one reason why you get little response to attempts to generate activity on the markets.

Things will change once we are into the betas. So the above discussions/opinions of mine is more for the alpha networks and some things will change when we get into the betas, Each network will see things change one step at a time.

9 Likes

ok I agree we can’t demand this right now but maybe be like hey if you do this ASAP then MAID could have some real value today and you can sell more for future dev

ya this is one of the weaker ideas. You got a 10 terabyte HD right now seems awesome but if you have to HODL that for 5 years to start getting some ROI it might be kinda shit

I would support this with my own money and time for sure but I don’t know how to make the actual tipbot

ok well just an idea. Is there anything we can sell about these forums besides status? Something where they buyer feels like they are winning and the “sellers” don’t feel like we are creating a hegemony.

ya it might be totally illegal but you can’t really stop it if it was fully decentralized somehow. People would be willing to play this game. The real trouble is finding someone to be the house.

ya there is no real cost to contributing here. I still see a net benefit for everyone if we all pitched in to have some kind of contest for the best mascot though!

well if it would port to ETH we could have smart contracts. I would wager that is still worthwhile even when we reach final to have some more complex contracts stored on the ETH chain because it facilitates more path options for cheaper.

ya sure I deff do that to. I am talking about how can we get people to spend more then spare time on it though. How can it be profitable to the real salesperson to give someone info on this great project then sign that deal. Right now they have a marketing team and that is great but really inefficient compared to leveraging the marking ability of the whole community.

ok that’s good but I think you get more contributors the more control you give to them. Be like ok thank you very much for the money but that’s still yours and you decide how we use it. In fact I would be very suspicious of people receiving funding any other way! If your project is getting the lions share of finical support you don’t want a mechanism for other smaller projects to get a cut to.

Oh I love your plays at devils advocate. I know that almost all of the MAID out there right now gets traded like at most once per year. I am just talking about the market right now where finding new investors willing to buy like 300K would totally shake things up. I am not trying to lose sight of the long term project. Rather how can we bring people in with something short term like a free aeration for you lawn if you consider us for the season of complete lawn care. I tell you from experience this shit works even if it is not really that different from just saying this is priced in for the whole long term project!

Hey.
Firstly ill say i like your energy, you seem to have plenty to use here.
Just an idea, and of course your free to do as you wish.
Communication is a two way thing and it gets kinda hard to do so when you seem to have so much to say, but yet fail to answer the questions that are directly put to you.
Not answering questions that only you can answer can almost make the communication pointless and just a lot of noise.

Edit @andyypants

Sorry to ask again @andyypants but this is important so we can have good context of where you are coming from so we can understand the questions/comments/ideas from. Thanks

@bones
I am a professional daytrader and do indeed have lots of time between analyzing and making moves just waiting for something to happen. I want to still be doing something crypto related in that time, so I think offering consulting to one of my fav projects is a good filler. Also I am a pro salesman but not a pro code monkey… so my advice is going to be for the marketing dpt where I feel I can add something and not be like ok slow down and explain that in cave man talk

@neo

I was not ignoring the question, it just totally slipped my mind you had asked when I got goin with my rant there :stuck_out_tongue: …. guess what I am trying to achieve is to get MAID up from being a small cult to being a world religion again :slight_smile: We have really diminished in influence since the ICO. Hopefully we will be mainstream again by final. Somewhere in the middle though, we have to rebound from the bottom of this sag and start moving up. We won’t reach the final goal without taking some steps first. I know many people are like “just wait til final and by magic we will instantly go from a small sprout to a big tree,” but I don’t know if I fully believe that. I don’t think it will happen by just sitting back and assuming people will notice the value. I would contend we are doing that right now, and that’s why we are in this sag. Now I am not suggesting some kind of pump or hussle… what I am suggesting is we a) show people the intrinsic value of how much of this project has been completed to date and b) do things that create new value for MAID we can promote. I am not sure why there is so much resistance to B. It does not diminish from A, but rather adds something new in addition.

Anyways the if you have not noticed, the theme here is VALUE. You rarely get something for nothing and if you do it was prolly some kind of swindle. If you create new value and show it to people that seems to me like kinda how free enterprise is supposed to work and the reason we aren’t all farmers anymore. What I feel like we do here is resist any new value being created outside the scope of the actual safe network project, and even within it fail to show new people the value of the progress the dev team has made so far, and insist the only value is for a token swap some unknown but long time down the road. That’s not an attractive religion! The people demand a miracle right now to prove this is worth following! I mean most religions offer a sweet afterlife when you reach final lol. I don’t think everyone joins just for that though, they join because they want to do something in the community and help people RIGHT NOW

4 Likes

Good honest work. :stuck_out_tongue:

Haha, but seriously. I’m not sure most of the people on this forum have time to make cash from day trading. Trading itself facinates me a little, so, well done making a living from it.

SAFENet wise, although you could day trade against it… it follows the same pattern and a fiat-btc pair, so if your goal is to make gains in fiat the the fiat-btc pair is probably the place to be. If you have insight in to the market, please share it …

Maidsafe wise, I personally feel like it’s a “going back in time and having the chance to buy Coca-Cola stock at pennies” event. I’m just not tempted to trade for short term gainz on this coin at risk on losing future #todamoon action.

Direct Fiat-crypto pairs, there you would have my day trading attention.

How is day trading going for you?

I help explore prices and eat the big variations so mom can have something more stable like cash so I think it creates value.

So far I would agree any gains from the ICO was because the fait-btc pair exploded and that got piggy backed. I think we have so much potential to go up based on the value in here that has not been realized by many traders yet though.

I would agree MAID is not the best daytrading coin atm. It is indeed in penny stock form at the moment so you are either gonna lose your penny or gain 100. no in between. While I deff don’t expect the ride up to be linear I think we could smooth that out a bit, because work on the safe network project has been completed so at least we are past the initial super high risk phase IMO.

Now I feel like people are fishing for some kind of evil motive I have to take advantage of you because obviously all traders are like that and none are playing a game they think everyone can win. Ok sure if the volume got good again that would be cool to daytrade MAID. Its not like there aren’t other coins to do that with right now though.

3 Likes

We are all here for one of two reasons, or both.

1. the next get rich coin.
  2. after initial research — I switched from being a sore “late to the bitcoin/etherium party” person (1) to this project will deliver good things to the general population.

If anyone claims they are holding maidsafe tokens and are not here to take any sort of financial advantage of the hardworking maidsafe team they maybe fibbing.

Long term hold / day trade gainz … From a financial perspective, I think we can all find some level of alignment.

1 Like

lol I was at the ETH release party and personally chatted with vitalik… I was just like this is pretty cool maybe I will invest 100 bucks :stuck_out_tongue: Definitely plan to have more then my little toe on this ship when it sets sail!

Um I thought they were getting the financial advantage when we fronted them all that money basically lol. Really I don’t think anyone is taking advantage or at least not unilaterally. All parties involved are gaining something and that’s how I want to see this grow. Not cause MacAfee makes it his coin of the day then dumps on you>< I want to see it grow because everyone is gaining advantage.

1 Like

I was thinking on this and where I live its like agrarian paradise. Most people see plants as an object they manipulate. Out in the country, I more see plants as having a plan, and I do to, and we are in collusion. That’s what I think I really want to see here. Not to see others alter their plan that they maybe just don’t have the capacity to do or it would be totally disadvantageous to them. More to see how can our diverse plans interact and everyone leverages each others advantages.

volume is decent today at least. Good to see there is some price discovery action going on. Lets just hope we discover up and not down lol. Right now there is quite a bit of resistance right on 2800. Also it has spent a good while in the 2600s, so I would not expect a lot of enthusiasm to buy it 10% higher right away. Right now it looks to me like a good time to look for flash crashes, rather then go full bull and market buy. Guess it depends how much you want though. That works for my trickle buy strategy but if you are a bigger whale then I and make bigger moves maybe you wana drop 10 BTC all at once. If that happens the landscape will suddenly look a whole lot different and maybe panic buy time :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I keep refreshing to always see an increase, never a decrease.
Lost my job lately, so of course I’m much more attracted to this… mundane F5 prospect, haha.

Any thoughts on what will continue happening with MAID being on a new exchange (Bitker) now? (Read other recent threads for that.)

you seem pretty smart so you can always make a job of trading! You need to still do work though. I mean like actual interesting work not just pressing a button over and over. You need to make a plan. This is like the most grand chess game with millions of players and can be very stimulating to delv ever deeper into creating the killer strategy.

A new exchange is always nice. I mean its something at least. I don’t think their volume will be tremendous at first though. Pretty sure we will still be 90% reliant on one central exchange (polo). That said, they need to fill their order books. even if just a few 100k’s find their way over there its that much less supply concentrated in one place. When I look at the market depth I am like damn we need to stop piling up on chump change profits… if sellers would just back off their orders a bit we could sell all that and for higher. Its really a psychological effect as moving it to more smaller pools doesn’t mean there is less supply, but then it seems less dangerous of drowning I suppose.

2 Likes

Invested hundreds in 2013, got thousands, started daytrading, first person to get 15 million dogecoins back in 2013 on coinedup dot com, and price jacked up immediately after I bought that. Sold where i bought in Lol (but bought a nice pair of headphones at the top-ish, on shopify, on Christmas day no less! WITH BTC, lol!). Kept daytrading for a year, but went into MAID 2014 December. Would’ve made a million if I “decided” on ETH… but, I’ve firmly believed in MAID ever since going in. My daytrading days are over… with 4 years in MAID; can’t let go! And 4 years vs 1-2 more until release/mass(?)-buying is like a no-brainer to keep sticking with it.

3 Likes