MaidSAFE Tee Shirt

Hi all, had another go at the tee design incorporating @ioptio’s suggestions. Instead of the ants marching though, they look as though they are working on / building SAFE and they are directly above the 130 million years banner, hopefully tying it all together nicely!

13 Likes

Agreed,

Pique their curiosity to get a neutral conversation started.

Neat shirt…
Thanks.
What’s with the ants?
Oh, it’s A.N.T.S, Autonomous Network Trust System. ANT Tech for short.
That sounds cool.
Yes, let me show you.

It would be a great way to express our uniqueness as well as counter the stigma of being just another crypto currency clone.

5 Likes

This is great! Thanks for working with my idea, Shona.
I would make the ant figures on the back design all black to match too! :wink:

2 Likes

What might be cool too is to put ants on top of SAFE and have Project kind of off kilter and ants hoisting it up as well.

I suggest there can be two styles in these kinds of t shirt. one is telling a lot…like Privacy Security Freedom Peer to Peer etc… the other one is just very simple, only has the logo which is the impossible triangle that’s all. The simplicity is not bad. Once the brand of Maidsafe goes popular, people see the logo already knows what it means. : ) So two kinds is needed.

1 Like

Shona,

When you start playing around with the ‘wee plane’ design…would the graphic file allow for customization of the wording across the banner?

Thanks

I want a t-shirt too =/

1 Like

Is this an issue with the ANT tech name that could cause problems?

IMO, no.

There are already acronym overlaps which are differentiated by the full title. See the links below for several other ANT and ANTS acronyms.

I was not able to find a unique Google result: Autonomous Network Trust or Autonomous Network Trust System. However, there will eventually be some. Even so, we can still use ANT or ANTS in reference to the SAFE Network.

Project SAFE already has this overlap with child protection sites.

The issue is one of confusion - imagine if “ANT Networks” (the other one!) becomes as well known as Bluetooth.

It could also bring legal complaints if they have trademarks because ANT Network is a network technology, so there is a real possibility of confusion and legal problems for us as infringers.

I’m not a trademark lawyer,

However, generic words are not afforded protection in trademarks. If it were, there would be thousands of lawsuits just from the links I posted. It must be very distinct which is why most trademarks are created with a unique look or word.

http://www.foxrothschild.com/newspubs/newspubsArticle.aspx?id=15032385749

I’m aware of our growing litigious society and aware of the possibility of a ridiculous lawsuit. Who are they going to sue? No one in this community is claiming ANT or ANTS as a trademark. If MaidSafe as a company is that concerned, then don’t use it. They would also have to consider Project SAFE and The SAFE Network, and any other terms that may be similar.

We don’t have to claim it as a trade mark to be open to action. Who would they sue is a good question, and one I would rather not expose us to. There must be precedents though, so before adopting ANTS or anything else we should look into that so we can make an informed decision.

People choose distinctive trademarks to reduce the chances of confusion, not because you have to in order to register them - cf. Windows. You can’t get much more generic than that, and Microsoft have happily enforced it.

I agree,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Corp._v._Lindows.com,_Inc.

It’s incredibly disheartening that big money can buy legal verdicts. And the link above proves it. If we get in their way, they will pay to make us go away. On a good note, Lindows walked away with 20million.

1 Like

I will be using ANTS for the time being when I talk about it, litigation be damned, for now anyway.

4 Likes

I was wondering the same thing about ‘ANTS’… Thanks for spelling is out.

2 Likes

Yeah @chrisfostertv , it is fully editable but I am working on a new version of the wee plane as we wouldn’t have the rights to resell the illustration we have already. I’m going to draw my own so that we can use it on tshirts and not worry about being sued!
@hjyuan1986 I like your idea of simplicity too and I’m sure that will be a popular one. For now I think we should aim to get one tshirt out first, as we will have to think about ordering different sizes and distribution etc. Then when we see how well that one does we can move on to other designs.
It’s great to have everyone’s input on the designs and looking forward to seeing the finished product!

2 Likes

@chadrickm New version incorporating your ideas! Also @ioptio @dyamanaka

8 Likes

Awesome! I really like it. I’m in the minority about not liking the 130M years but I’ll live with it and just do something unique with my own shirt. This is great work!

1 Like

Not quite on your own, not that I don’t like it, just wondered how the figure was arrived at. What I mean is, insects probably began their evolution around 400m years ago, the Earth is around 4.5 billion years old, the universe around 14 billion years old etc. I like the concept, just wondered how the figure was arrived at? Just interested really.

Heeh - And I’m on the other end of that spectrum substantially. Perhaps around 10K at the most :wink:
“Designed since the beginning of time…” I don’t know or care what is on there. I’ll do my own patch or whatever over that.